Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 03-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
xXTHeEddYXx

DVI vs HDMI

Is there a big difference other than HDMI having audio that will make me want to get a monitor with HDMI instead of settling for a cheaper one with DVI?
Old 03-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
angrytigerp

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXTHeEddYXx View Post
Is there a big difference other than HDMI having audio that will make me want to get a monitor with HDMI instead of settling for a cheaper one with DVI?
None whatsoever, for PC builders. Don't spend the extra 50 bucks or whatever it's going for for a HDMI monitor. Unless, that is, you plan to hook up a console to it or plan to use it in a multi-display setup and you already are using your GPU's DVI output(s).
angrytigerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
pmc64

I wouldnt use hdmi unless your using some kind of consumer electronic device. The connector doesnt secure down like dvi does.
pmc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
Undead

There's no difference between DVI and HDMI other than that HDMI allows sound transmittance.

And HDMI and DisplayPort have the same functionality too.

Now if you're a weirdo and plan to have your monitor over 15m away from your GPU, then DisplayPort is your pal..
Undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
nhcarpenter

still not sure why

My main display is 1920 x 1080 (24" LCD) & when I was running it off an HDMI I was getting a black brorder all the way around the picture. An d no it wasn't a conflicting setting in the PC.

The people on this forum fixed me, I got rid of the HDMI and went back to running out of the DVI ports on my ATI HD5770. Problem solved.

I still use the HDMI to the T.V. in the room w/no issues; but for some reason the monitor had an issue. Like I said I never found out exactly why, so unless you need the sound stick with the DVI.

I'll try to find the link to the thread so you can see what the "people who no better"(truth-not sarcasm) said on the topic.

edit: found it - here:http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1735684

& I'm not implying you will have that issue, but there is a posibility

Last edited by nhcarpenter: 03-17-2011 at 07:14 PM.
nhcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
Baron_Fel

most monitors have HDMI, theres no extra cost associated with it..
Baron_Fel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
BuckALE

Banned
As already mentioned, the only difference is that HDMI carries audio.

Beyond that, you can adapt HDMI to DVI and vice versa quite easily. Many graphics cards come with adapters, but you can also buy what you need as well.
BuckALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
nabokovfan87

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/fovcalc.php

Quote:
Common Cable Types With Associated Bandwidth Rates

VGA or DVI-A = 6.4 Gbit/s (400 MHz)
DVI-D = 3.96 Gbit/s (165 MHz)
DVI-D Dual Link = 7.92 Gbit/s (330 MHz)
HDMI v1.0/1.1/1.2 = 3.96 Gbit/s (165 MHz)
HDMI v1.3/1.4 = 8.16 Gbit/s (340 MHz)
DisplayPort v1.0/1.1 = 8.64 Gbit/s (360 MHz)
DisplayPort v1.2 = 17.28 Gbit/s (720 MHz)
Go there, type in the resolution that the monitor is, and find out whether or not you need the expanded HDMI bandwidth. For me, on my monitor, when I went from DVI to HDMI (same pc, same monitor, same everything, just a cable difference and an hdmi to dvi adapter), the color on the monitor got much improved.

I would say stick with HDMI, if you can display port just because that is what all the new stuff has, and having the super bandwidth will be nice when you get into the whole high size monitor/resolution issues.
nabokovfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
BuckALE

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabokovfan87 View Post
For me, on my monitor, when I went from DVI to HDMI (same pc, same monitor, same everything, just a cable difference and an hdmi to dvi adapter), the color on the monitor got much improved.
Really? speaking for myself, i've been hard pressed to see any discernible difference between them at all. Cable's are cables are cables too, but perhaps there was something wrong with that particular one? Shrug.
BuckALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
Bad_Motha

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcarpenter View Post
My main display is 1920 x 1080 (24" LCD) & when I was running it off an HDMI I was getting a black brorder all the way around the picture. An d no it wasn't a conflicting setting in the PC.

The people on this forum fixed me, I got rid of the HDMI and went back to running out of the DVI ports on my ATI HD5770. Problem solved.

I still use the HDMI to the T.V. in the room w/no issues; but for some reason the monitor had an issue. Like I said I never found out exactly why, so unless you need the sound stick with the DVI.

I'll try to find the link to the thread so you can see what the "people who no better"(truth-not sarcasm) said on the topic.

edit: found it - here:http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1735684

& I'm not implying you will have that issue, but there is a posibility
Your particular issue lays with ATI/AMD, not really an HDMI issue. This is just how it is when using HDMI on RADEON GPU. You have to toggle an option in the Catalyst software to eliminate that black border.

Almost all LCD/LED monitors within last year or so ship with VGA, DVI, and HDMI connections so don't say there is any added cost to getting HDMI on a monitor. If you really want flexibility, get a monitor that also has DisplayPort. BTW most HDMI and DisplayPort cables do plug very snug into your GPU so I wouldn't say it's not secure enough. If you shop around you can get gold-plated cables for around $5 - $10 or so if your monitor doesn't ship with a particular cable, like HDMI.

Overall if you plan on using one monitor and one system, then I would just use DVI. If you plan to hookup multiple monitors to one machine, like EyeFinity type of setup, then this will require you using more just DVI ports.

If you do plan to use HDMI and your GPU has a mini-HDMI, I suggest that go buy a HDMI to Mini-HDMI cable so you can eliminate having to use any HDMI adapters as these add extra stress on the GPU's port.

Last edited by Bad_Motha: 03-17-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #11
g859

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Motha View Post
Your particular issue lays with ATI/AMD, not really an HDMI issue. This is just how it is when using HDMI on RADEON GPU. You have to toggle an option in the Catalyst software to eliminate that black border.
This; it's the GPU Scaling that Radeon cards use with HDMI connections. This is easily fixed in CCC under Flat-Panel Options > Scaling, I believe.
g859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #12
ez2pz

Quote:
Originally Posted by g859 View Post
This; it's the GPU Scaling that Radeon cards use with HDMI connections. This is easily fixed in CCC under Flat-Panel Options > Scaling, I believe.
They must've remvoed that from CCC, because it's not there. I've been trying to add black borders to my game, but I don't know where to change the scale size.
ez2pz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:27 AM   #13
Vonje

DVI is dying out due to the popularity of HDMI and the rate of DisplayPort.
AMD has already invested in DisplayPort, and NVIDIA will probably do it as well soon. HDMI is also good to have to be able to connect modern consoles and other TV devices.
Vonje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:22 AM   #14
Baron_Fel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabokovfan87 View Post
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/fovcalc.php

Go there, type in the resolution that the monitor is, and find out whether or not you need the expanded HDMI bandwidth. For me, on my monitor, when I went from DVI to HDMI (same pc, same monitor, same everything, just a cable difference and an hdmi to dvi adapter), the color on the monitor got much improved.

I would say stick with HDMI, if you can display port just because that is what all the new stuff has, and having the super bandwidth will be nice when you get into the whole high size monitor/resolution issues.
dual link DVI can power the biggest monitor resolutions out there so bandwidth is not an issue.
Baron_Fel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #15
ez2pz

So does anyone know how I can get black borders on a 4:3 resolution on my 22" WS?
ez2pz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems