Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic

Old 03-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #16
GirlPower23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excygy View Post
Valve is beast in a domaine, Blizzard is Beast in another don't compare them, both are companeis based of true videogames loves isntead of buisiness man only. But yeah...blizzard do better cinematics.

the best cinematic studio i know is BLUR.
You don't know a special company by the name Pixar? Overall Pixar is king, there is no debating this. They have the better resources and technology. But we are specifically talking video game developers that don't contract 3rd parties. The fact Pixar doesn't use Mo-cap already makes me respect them more than any CGI Production company in the world.
GirlPower23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #17
Coyotez

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlPower23 View Post
You don't know a special company by the name Pixar? Overall Pixar is king, there is no debating this. They have the better resources and technology. But we are specifically talking video game developers that don't contract 3rd parties. The fact Pixar doesn't use Mo-cap already makes me respect them more than any CGI Production company in the world.
To Valves defense, all they use is Maya and Source Filmmaker.
They never contract outside animators.
Coyotez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #18
stillmatic07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotez View Post
/thread.
stillmatic07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #19
MagnetiCube

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excygy View Post
Valve is beast in a domaine, Blizzard is Beast in another don't compare them, both are companeis based of true videogames loves isntead of buisiness man only. But yeah...blizzard do better cinematics.

the best cinematic studio i know is BLUR.
Before the merge with Activi$ion, I would agree with you. But now Blizzard is trying to milk as much money as they possibly can out of the community, like overpricing the thirds of SCII and making us pay for "premium" mods and maps. Oh sure, they said that not even Defense of the Ancients would've been good enough for "premium" status. But, since they merged with the hell spawn Activi$ion, I can guarantee you that the status quo for "premium" mods will be gradually increasing until the only worthwhile mods will be premium.
MagnetiCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #20
GirlPower23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetiCube View Post
Before the merge with Activi$ion, I would agree with you. But now Blizzard is trying to milk as much money as they possibly can out of the community, like overpricing the thirds of SCII and making us pay for "premium" mods and maps. Oh sure, they said that not even Defense of the Ancients would've been good enough for "premium" status. But, since they merged with the hell spawn Activi$ion, I can guarantee you that the status quo for "premium" mods will be gradually increasing until the only worthwhile mods will be premium.
This has nothing to do with cinematics.

Quote:
You act as if I said Valve was bad at what they do. No, they are amazing at it. They just aren't Blizzard quality which I pointed out why. If Valve had 2000 something employees they could be rolling out some of the greatest cinematics in existence for PC Games.
GirlPower23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #21
MagnetiCube

Banned
Quote:
Sorry. I just go into rant-mode when someone mentions how Blizzard does it for the games, not the business.
MagnetiCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #22
UberMudkipz

Quote:

You act as if I said Valve was bad at what they do. No, they are amazing at it. They just aren't Blizzard quality which I pointed out why. If Valve had 2000 something employees they could be rolling out some of the greatest cinematics in existence for PC Games.
If they had 2000 employees, they would be making HL2 the movie, and a TV show based off Team Fortress 2, inbetween releases of HL EP3 with 10x Blizzard quality cinematics.
UberMudkipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #23
marie pavie

Quote:
A cool idea you have here!
marie pavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #24
Smertnik

I agree, Blizzard's stuff is far more impressive.
I remember how satisfying it was to get to watch the cinematics after completing each campaign in Warcraft 3 (and, on a side note, how disappointing it was to find out that there was none in the end of Frozen Throne..).
Valve's cinematics don't have the same wow effect but I suppose that was never intented.
Smertnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #25
Coyotez

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie pavie View Post
A cool idea you have here!
Thanks
Coyotez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #26
Scared

Valve and Blizzard are both amazing in their own way. When comparing them both to Pixar I would go with Valve and their TF2 and Portal cinematics because it just has the pixar feel, being able to add so much emotion and character to something that doesn't look that complex.

Blizzard are king for over the top 'holy that was awesome and looks amazing', but the characters/stories that Blizzard do are completely different to Pixar works.
Scared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #27
notavirus.exe

As much as I love Valve and Blizzard, to me, things out of the Kojima camp are #1 for cinematics.

Resident Evil and Silent hill series were both way ahead of their time as well.
notavirus.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:51 AM   #28
General Balls

I'd be much happier if Blizzard put all that cinematics effort into their games. As it is, I don't see most of them as I lose interest before I'm halfway in.
General Balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:54 AM   #29
velvetmeds

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberTickTack View Post
If they had 2000 employees, they would be making HL2 the movie, and a TV show based off Team Fortress 2, inbetween releases of HL EP3 with 10x Blizzard quality cinematics.
Not really.
velvetmeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:57 AM   #30
General Balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetmeds View Post
Not really.
I have to agree there, if they had 2,000+ employees they'd be taking even longer to get games out. It's a direct correlation, the more they have, the more they think they can do.
General Balls is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic