Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #16
GirlPower23
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Reputation: 8422
Posts: 10,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excygy View Post
Valve is beast in a domaine, Blizzard is Beast in another don't compare them, both are companeis based of true videogames loves isntead of buisiness man only. But yeah...blizzard do better cinematics.

the best cinematic studio i know is BLUR.
You don't know a special company by the name Pixar? Overall Pixar is king, there is no debating this. They have the better resources and technology. But we are specifically talking video game developers that don't contract 3rd parties. The fact Pixar doesn't use Mo-cap already makes me respect them more than any CGI Production company in the world.
GirlPower23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #17
Coyotez
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Reputation: 150
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlPower23 View Post
You don't know a special company by the name Pixar? Overall Pixar is king, there is no debating this. They have the better resources and technology. But we are specifically talking video game developers that don't contract 3rd parties. The fact Pixar doesn't use Mo-cap already makes me respect them more than any CGI Production company in the world.
To Valves defense, all they use is Maya and Source Filmmaker.
They never contract outside animators.
Coyotez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #18
stillmatic07
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Reputation: 1606
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotez View Post
To Valves defense, all they use is Maya and Source Filmmaker.
They never contract outside animators.
/thread.
stillmatic07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #19
MagnetiCube
 
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 91
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excygy View Post
Valve is beast in a domaine, Blizzard is Beast in another don't compare them, both are companeis based of true videogames loves isntead of buisiness man only. But yeah...blizzard do better cinematics.

the best cinematic studio i know is BLUR.
Before the merge with Activi$ion, I would agree with you. But now Blizzard is trying to milk as much money as they possibly can out of the community, like overpricing the thirds of SCII and making us pay for "premium" mods and maps. Oh sure, they said that not even Defense of the Ancients would've been good enough for "premium" status. But, since they merged with the hell spawn Activi$ion, I can guarantee you that the status quo for "premium" mods will be gradually increasing until the only worthwhile mods will be premium.
MagnetiCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #20
GirlPower23
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Reputation: 8422
Posts: 10,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetiCube View Post
Before the merge with Activi$ion, I would agree with you. But now Blizzard is trying to milk as much money as they possibly can out of the community, like overpricing the thirds of SCII and making us pay for "premium" mods and maps. Oh sure, they said that not even Defense of the Ancients would've been good enough for "premium" status. But, since they merged with the hell spawn Activi$ion, I can guarantee you that the status quo for "premium" mods will be gradually increasing until the only worthwhile mods will be premium.
This has nothing to do with cinematics.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotez View Post
To Valves defense, all they use is Maya and Source Filmmaker.
They never contract outside animators.
You act as if I said Valve was bad at what they do. No, they are amazing at it. They just aren't Blizzard quality which I pointed out why. If Valve had 2000 something employees they could be rolling out some of the greatest cinematics in existence for PC Games.
GirlPower23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #21
MagnetiCube
 
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 91
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlPower23 View Post
This has nothing to do with cinematics.
Sorry. I just go into rant-mode when someone mentions how Blizzard does it for the games, not the business.
MagnetiCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #22
UberMudkipz
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Reputation: 140
Posts: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlPower23 View Post
This has nothing to do with cinematics.




You act as if I said Valve was bad at what they do. No, they are amazing at it. They just aren't Blizzard quality which I pointed out why. If Valve had 2000 something employees they could be rolling out some of the greatest cinematics in existence for PC Games.
If they had 2000 employees, they would be making HL2 the movie, and a TV show based off Team Fortress 2, inbetween releases of HL EP3 with 10x Blizzard quality cinematics.
UberMudkipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #23
marie pavie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Reputation: 25025
Posts: 10,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotez View Post
A cool idea you have here!
marie pavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #24
Smertnik
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Reputation: 1709
Posts: 4,012
I agree, Blizzard's stuff is far more impressive.
I remember how satisfying it was to get to watch the cinematics after completing each campaign in Warcraft 3 (and, on a side note, how disappointing it was to find out that there was none in the end of Frozen Throne..).
Valve's cinematics don't have the same wow effect but I suppose that was never intented.
Smertnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #25
Coyotez
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Reputation: 150
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie pavie View Post
A cool idea you have here!
Thanks
Coyotez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #26
Scared
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Reputation: 1961
Posts: 7,520
Valve and Blizzard are both amazing in their own way. When comparing them both to Pixar I would go with Valve and their TF2 and Portal cinematics because it just has the pixar feel, being able to add so much emotion and character to something that doesn't look that complex.

Blizzard are king for over the top 'holy that was awesome and looks amazing', but the characters/stories that Blizzard do are completely different to Pixar works.
Scared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #27
notavirus.exe
 
Join Date: May 2010
Reputation: 2564
Posts: 2,443
As much as I love Valve and Blizzard, to me, things out of the Kojima camp are #1 for cinematics.

Resident Evil and Silent hill series were both way ahead of their time as well.
notavirus.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:51 AM   #28
General Balls
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Reputation: 2679
Posts: 7,985
I'd be much happier if Blizzard put all that cinematics effort into their games. As it is, I don't see most of them as I lose interest before I'm halfway in.
General Balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:54 AM   #29
velvetmeds
 
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2008
Reputation: 3270
Posts: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberTickTack View Post
If they had 2000 employees, they would be making HL2 the movie, and a TV show based off Team Fortress 2, inbetween releases of HL EP3 with 10x Blizzard quality cinematics.
Not really.
velvetmeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:57 AM   #30
General Balls
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Reputation: 2679
Posts: 7,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetmeds View Post
Not really.
I have to agree there, if they had 2,000+ employees they'd be taking even longer to get games out. It's a direct correlation, the more they have, the more they think they can do.
General Balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.