Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Old 03-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
realizated

Question Does Portal 2 have full LAN support for co-op?

My friend and I were planning on creating a local wireless connection and playing co-op with two laptops side by side. I'd appreciate if someone could confirm that this is supported in the game. Thanks.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
Harry101

I don't think it has, although Valve hasn't confirmed it as far as I know.
Harry101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
realizated

That would be a bummer, I think all co-op should have the option of being played with a direct connection between the participating computers. Less chance of problems that way
Old 03-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
trenmost

l4d has lan option, so i dont see why portal wouldnt have it (p2 uses the same engine)
trenmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
.EpicWarrior.

Every online source game has a LAN option, I really don't see why they wouldn't have that on Portal 2, because then that would just be a downgrade for them.
.EpicWarrior. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
hahahehe

I can think of a very good reason why they would leave out LAN.

P2 will be pirated, that is a certainty, and if the game has LAN it means the pirates can play co op together, if they leave it out then the pirates only get SP, if they ant to play co op they have to buy the game.
hahahehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
realizated

My sentiments exactly, hahahehe. In fact some people could legally play co-op with one copy by downloading via steam on two computers. But impractical restrictions should not be the solution to this loophole (and otherwise illegal behavior).
Old 03-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
WilliumBobCole

Valve don't care for any form of DRM or what the pirates do, they know pirates get hold of thier games but with their great customer relations and excellent quality of games, they focus ONLY on how good their games can be, and earn significantly more money this way than if they spent less time on the game and more time on anti piracy measures. LAN will be included, I can almost guarantee it,I'd say I CAN guarantee it but I'm not valve, but I AM very confident that this is the case, you can do LAN on any other source game, it is probably possible that you can play LAN with two computers with a single account, if played in offline mode, TF2 and L4D work with this so you know, portal 2 should. By all means, support valve where you can, but I know most of my friends wouldn't buy this game as it isnt their thing, but I will probably introduce them to p2 coop with my account, and encourage them to buy more valve games in future
WilliumBobCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
Angry Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by realizated View Post
My sentiments exactly, hahahehe. In fact some people could legally play co-op with one copy by downloading via steam on two computers. But impractical restrictions should not be the solution to this loophole (and otherwise illegal behavior).
Im sure the same steam account trying to connect to itself on another computer would not work.

I see no reason for them to leave LAN out.
Angry Kittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
MinionJoe

LAN play has fallen out of favor with gaming companies in recent years because it prevents the company from monitoring how their product is being used.

I would be pleasantly surprised to discover Portal 2 included LAN play. But since it is already set up to use on Steam, programming in LAN capability would be redundant.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #11
DrakenZA

Yes it will have lan, but you will need to be in online while playing for VAC.
DrakenZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #12
realizated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Kittens View Post
Im sure the same steam account trying to connect to itself on another computer would not work.
I was of course talking about a LAN connection between two computers with the same steam account logged in offline. That would be possible, if I'm not mistaken?
Old 03-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #13
Angry Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by realizated View Post
I was of course talking about a LAN connection between two computers with the same steam account logged in offline. That would be possible, if I'm not mistaken?
I know what you meant, my comment still stands :P
Angry Kittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #14
realizated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Kittens View Post
I know what you meant, my comment still stands :P
Quite the dedicated one, I see =)
Old 03-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #15
DrakenZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinionJoe View Post
LAN play has fallen out of favor with gaming companies in recent years because it prevents the company from monitoring how their product is being used.

I would be pleasantly surprised to discover Portal 2 included LAN play. But since it is already set up to use on Steam, programming in LAN capability would be redundant.
? Even l4d has lan. Im pretty sure it will have lan, and if it doesn't, open console and type sv_lan 1. Its a source game after all.
DrakenZA is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2