Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Gothic series

Old 03-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
Duttebayo

Fighting system

OK, so i kinda dropped Gothic 3 cause it was pretty laggy and bad with fighting stuff even with patch and custom ini file.

So i also got Forsaken gods. It lags alot less, and i was looking forward to see the "New fighting system".
"Dumdidum...OOOH ARENA!" Yea.. What i meet is a guy that can do 3 fast chops with a GIGANTIC two handed sword, and make a few spins. Im already dead by then. Great new fighting system...
Old 03-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
DV8ing1

This series has always seemed to have its quirks. It's also always been considered a "hardcore" RPG because of what most would consider shoddy design. I personally have grown to love the terrible gameplay.
DV8ing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
Metro

It's far from terrible. It is just nuanced and requires timing and movement as opposed to most other ARPGs where you simply mash one button to win.
Metro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
DV8ing1

What makes it terrible are the animations and lack of any real cues. Once you know how the system works, it seems pretty easy to exploit. To me that makes the combat system flawed if not terrible. Also just shoot arrows, run away turn around and shoot some more. No tactics are needed at all if you want to break the game which shouldn't be possible in a well designed game.
DV8ing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:53 AM   #5
Duttebayo

Ok... So what weapons is the best? Shield with sword, two swords, or Two handed?
Duttebayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:06 AM   #6
jiminator

pretty much shield + sword, since it adds to your armor class
if you are playing gothic you can try them all since there will be plenty of points for everything
jiminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:20 AM   #7
Duttebayo

Gothic 3+forsaken gods

But cheats doesnt work on Gothic 3 with me, it says Testmode=true
I write give coins 100 and it says i got them. But i dont..
Old 03-26-2011, 06:18 AM   #8
Robinhood90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV8ing1 View Post
What makes it terrible are the animations and lack of any real cues. Once you know how the system works, it seems pretty easy to exploit. To me that makes the combat system flawed if not terrible. Also just shoot arrows, run away turn around and shoot some more. No tactics are needed at all if you want to break the game which shouldn't be possible in a well designed game.
You can't do that in most arenas as they're very small.
Aslong as you have a full 3 dimensional enviroment you can move in, and you don't make it very flat, there will always be some place you can position yourself so the enemy can't reach you. Typically, the only games that have very little exploits are enviroments where you're very limited in what you can do. Having more complex/realistic game design have problems that you will probably find some exploits, but it's worth it.

You don't have to use kiting. It's not meant to be played like that, and you're only harming yourself. However if you can't tolerate any exploits, I suggest you move back to hexadiagonal turn based maps, where combat is a pure stats/luck based thing.

Gothic 3 with CP 1.74, with ofcourse alternative AI and altenative balancing on, requires more tactics than most other similar games. However try Risen, the developers did it much better in that game.

@Duttebayo
If I understand correctly, you complain about the fighting system because you lost a fight. Did you think about what made you loose the fight? The first arena can be slightly challenging, but it's not difficult. Afterall, you're facing only one opponent, and a human will always be able to find a weakness in an AI's fighting method. If you struggle, you can also gain some more skills.
GOthic 3 is completely open, so nothing stops you from going to a much more difficult area. Also in easier areas, there can be hard monsters. Avoid those you can't defeat, and possibly come back for them later. A completely homogenous enviroment where every enemy fits your level is just plain boring.

Last edited by Robinhood90: 03-26-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Robinhood90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
Duttebayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinhood90 View Post
@Duttebayo
If I understand correctly, you complain about the fighting system because you lost a fight. Did you think about what made you loose the fight? The first arena can be slightly challenging, but it's not difficult. Afterall, you're facing only one opponent, and a human will always be able to find a weakness in an AI's fighting method. If you struggle, you can also gain some more skills.
GOthic 3 is completely open, so nothing stops you from going to a much more difficult area. Also in easier areas, there can be hard monsters. Avoid those you can't defeat, and possibly come back for them later. A completely homogenous enviroment where every enemy fits your level is just plain boring.
I lost several fights, over and over again. What they do, is simply just hack n' slash me. I have no chance to hit back. Even against a 2-hander, he hit faster than me when i had a small sword.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
Robinhood90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duttebayo View Post
I lost several fights, over and over again. What they do, is simply just hack n' slash me. I have no chance to hit back. Even against a 2-hander, he hit faster than me when i had a small sword.
You do know that there's several attack types? Did you even bother checking what the different controls does?

Left click is normal attack.
Hold left mouse button and you make a power attack,
Right click is fast attack.
Hold right mouse button and you block.
Block (hold rmb), then click left mouse button to stab with 1 handed swords, or spin with 2-handers.

Remember you can also keep distance when he attacks, as blocking is only succesful if you have enough stamina. Also like I said, if you're struggling with a specific fight, do something else and do it later when you're stronger. Have you found the rebels? You could do that.
There's also 1 guy in the village, and 1 in the rebel camp that you can make follow you. This is useful when roaming in the wilderness.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #11
Duttebayo

I got back to Gothic 3 from Expansion. It was pretty lame..
But i found a way to fight now, and only 1 and 1 fights on me
Im loving the game atm :P

(tactic: Stab, hard attack, stab, hard attack ;D)
Old 03-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #12
Robinhood90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duttebayo View Post
I got back to Gothic 3 from Expansion. It was pretty lame..
But i found a way to fight now, and only 1 and 1 fights on me
Im loving the game atm :P

(tactic: Stab, hard attack, stab, hard attack ;D)
Won't work well against multiple enemies. If you play on easy only one enemy will attack at the same time though, so it might work then.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:26 AM   #13
Duttebayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinhood90 View Post
Won't work well against multiple enemies. If you play on easy only one enemy will attack at the same time though, so it might work then.
I play on easy, i guess i wont play harder. The game is DAMNED hard even now.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #14
Blackvenom01

I Finished the Gothic 3 Today * yay me! * and started Forsaken, however after dieing a few timesin the arena cause of a lausy weapon and armor I wanted to go to Geldren for a scroll of recommendation, yea.. some bloodflys hit you once and you die ( no one sells pots to cure me ) No bow, so cant use range, no spells, cant use range, this is after I avoided a pack of wolves to reach (you guessed it, geldren ) but they smack me so fast that I actualy stopped playing... Not a good way to introduce yourself to a mini exp pack, meh.
Blackvenom01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #15
Duttebayo

yeah, i think im going to uninstall it :P

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Gothic series