Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RIFT

Old 03-26-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
sambonz

Let's Play Rift Videos - decide if it's for you

Hi All,

For those of you not quite sure if you're willing to take the plunge and purchase Rift, I've started a new series of my 'Lets Play' gameplay and commentary video episodes to help you see what the game's like and if it's for you. (In a similar vein to my DC Universe Online, Bulletstorm, and Saint's Row 2 Let's Play series..)

Hope it helps =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAUrI21p8A4
Old 03-27-2011, 02:10 AM   #2
Haldur

I stayed up late to watch your video -- very well done.

A few things:

1. Neither Defiants nor Guardians are 'good' or 'evil'. Both can be ruthless and both can be noble. Both want to preserve Telara and protect it from Regulos and invasions from the Rifts. The difference is that Guardians were the chosen of the Gods, and the Gods forbid the use of certain kinds of advanced technology.
If you are a Defiant, you actually come from the future. In the future, you've seen the Guardans and their Gods fail to stop Regulos from destroying Telara. So with their technology, the Defiants are sent back in time from that dark future in order to use their advanced technology to stop Regulos. If you play through the newbie/introduction zone from the defiant side, you can see that.

Guardians see the Defiants as Infidels/Blasphemers using extremely dangerous forbidden technology.

Defiants see Guardians as religious zealots doomed to lead Telara to its destruction.

They may hate each other, blame each other for the current situation (and there's enough blame to go around). But in the end, they also both want to save Telara. Each probably sees the opposing faction as being evil, and each believes that their own side is good. Things are not quite as black and white as in most fantasy mmos.

2. When you target a friendly PC, the plus sign that appears at the top of the portrait tells you that that person allows open grouping (and it also tells you if the person is already in a group or raid). If you click on the "+" sign, you will automatically join their group. Public grouping is not just for rifts, but it's also for helping/getting help with quests. You don't even have to be invited, you just click to join the group or raid. Of course, if you are grouping with guildmates, the group or raid leader can turn it into a closed group/raid. Closed groups are invitation only.

Also, if you have 5 people in a group and someone else joins, your group is automatically converted to a raid. Furthermore, if you are the group/raid leader, and come across other people in a small group or raid, you can select to merge them, so long as the number of people doesn't exceed 20.

Most people (at least on the server I'm on) allow open grouping most of the time, which makes it easier to share and assist with quest progression. The only times I've ever been unable to join another group was during a rift event, when the only other people working on it were in the same guild; also guardians and defiants can't group up with one another (though they will often work together to close rifts, etc.)

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your future videos.
Haldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #3
Johnster1

Some good videos. If only other people would read them, then we wouldn't have all these threads saying "uh, do I buy the game or not, because I've only seen screenshots and can't decide".

Thanks for showing me, even though I already own the game, and am loving it! ^_^
Johnster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:48 AM   #4
sambonz

Thanks for the great feedback, Haldur and Johnster1 =)
FYI the release schedule for this Rift LP series is three times per week.

Cheers.
sambonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
Balraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnster1 View Post
Some good videos. If only other people would read them, then we wouldn't have all these threads saying "uh, do I buy the game or not, because I've only seen screenshots and can't decide".

Thanks for showing me, even though I already own the game, and am loving it! ^_^

Well assuming it works there is a nice feature being in the 1.1 patch that is currently being implemented.

Quote:
VIDEO CAPTURE
* You can record video through RIFT up to 3 minutes in length. If you add a YouTube account through the Settings menu, RIFT will automatically upload videos to that account!
* Type /record or press CTRL+Y to start recording. Use it again to stop!
* Small icons next to the minimap show when video is recording and encoding.
* Once encoding is complete, you will have the option to upload if you have attached a YouTube account.
Yup built in you tube recording from within the game. Its only three minutes worth but that's more than enough to record your epic deaths .... um .... victorious battles

To OP: Well put together video. Keep up the good work

Last edited by Balraw: 03-30-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Balraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:40 AM   #6
sambonz

New episode posted: Let's Play Rift - Part 2 - Our Ducks In A Row

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5b0f8toXIg
Part 2 of my 'Let's Play' gameplay and commentary in the new MMO, Rift, by Trion.

In this episode we meet up with our good friend Romanova (playing his character 'Tallahassee' here). He helps us as we walk through some more features of the game and the UI, and we spend some time looking at the amazing 'Soul Tree' feature (Talent Tree) as we explore the various options available for my class (Mage).
Old 03-31-2011, 05:42 AM   #7
sambonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balraw View Post
Yup built in you tube recording from within the game. Its only three minutes worth but that's more than enough to record your epic deaths .... um .... victorious battles

To OP: Well put together video. Keep up the good work
Thanks for the kind words!
And yup that's a great feature to be built-n to Rift, especially alongside the built-in Twitter client.

Loving the game =)
Old 03-31-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
Guerr3ro

I like your vids man. You've kind of convinced me to leave WoW for RIFT, at least for a while
Old 04-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
Haldur

He's only shown a glimpse of the newbie zone. Wait until you get out into the open world and encounter the rifts and invasions -- that's where, imho, it gets real fun.

Sambonz video is right on the money. The game has so many neat little features and an attention to details that should make the rest of the games industry take notice. There are a few things that are lacking (for now) and others that really could use some improvement, but it is very fun to play and that's what's important.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #10
sambonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerr3ro View Post
I like your vids man. You've kind of convinced me to leave WoW for RIFT, at least for a while
Thanks! I hope you have as much fun playing as I am - it's a blast =)
Old 04-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #11
sambonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldur View Post
He's only shown a glimpse of the newbie zone. Wait until you get out into the open world and encounter the rifts and invasions -- that's where, imho, it gets real fun.

Sambonz video is right on the money. The game has so many neat little features and an attention to details that should make the rest of the games industry take notice. There are a few things that are lacking (for now) and others that really could use some improvement, but it is very fun to play and that's what's important.
Totally agree - it's like they've taken the great features from other titles and bundled them all together to make Rift. =)
Old 04-03-2011, 12:20 AM   #12
sambonz

New episode (sort of!) posted: Let's Play Rift - The Truth Of It

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF3JfikHhig
We all play Rift for one reason or another.
But we all know the real reason Tallahassee (Romanova) plays, right?
Old 04-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #13
sambonz

New episode posted: Let's Play Rift - Part 3 - Time To Start Earning Our Keep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4uxvScrGX4
Part 3 of my 'Let's Play' gameplay and commentary in the new MMO, Rift, by Trion.

In this episode we take the plunge and choose our very first Soul from the Mage tree, setting us up with our first skills. We also finally head out into the world and take on our first quests, start learning about the game's combat mechanics and the Soul Tree itself, and we endure Tallahassee's disturbing dance moves. Again.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #14
sambonz

New episode posted: Let's Play Rift - Part 4 - You Gotta Have Soul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms_G9hfgU70
Part 4 of my 'Let's Play' gameplay and commentary in the new MMO, Rift, by Trion.

In this episode we continue our journey through the beginning zone of the game, arriving in a town named Ardenburgh where we pick up some more quests. In addition to checking out the built-in Twitter features we gain ourselves another Soul, along with it's associated abilities, and we further explore some of the UI and system elements of the game.
There may also be dancing..
Old 04-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #15
Haldur

Good video, as usual. I just want to fill in a couple of details:

1. There is a button to sell all grey items when you are on the buy/sell screen -- it's to the right of where your money is listed.

2. The fellow who joined your group -- yes it's because Tallahassee, the group leader, left your group as public. It's the default state, except when you or any member(s) of your party are in a dungeon. What the fellow did is he targeted one of you, and then clicked on the button at the top of your portrait to join your group. You don't have to invite people for them to join you, unless the group leader closes your group. It's a useful tool when too many people are hunting for the same quest goals in the same area, so you can share kills and other quest goals. It means that you can spend lots less time waiting for mobs to spawn.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RIFT