Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 03-26-2011, 11:26 PM   #1
zealousyouth

Not receiving email from Steam Guard

My problem is even worse. I don't get any e-mails from Steam Guard at all, and the PC that it was originally enabled on I no longer have any access to... meaning that I have been locked out of my Steam account since Tues this last week. It's now late Sat night.

Still waiting to hear from Steam Support about the ticket I filed with them. Have tried logging in over 100 times on 7 different PC's. Always says that they just sent me the code to my hotmail e-mail (which was and is verified btw). Only problem is they haven't sent me a single e-mail. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled Steam. I've scoured my e-mail, inbox, spam, all other folders, searched for any messages containing the words "Steam, Guard, Support, Valve, etc." Got the automated e-mail saying I filed my support ticket in about 5 seconds after filing it. Still not a single e-mail from Steam Guard though containing the code I need to log in.

Don't know what else to do. Doesn't seem possible to be a problem anywhere on my end or with any of my systems, as I've tried on WinXP Pro 32, Win7 64, reinstalled Steam a bunch of times, etc.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
baronvongogo

I had the same problem on my wifes computer she had a hotmail address verified but recieved no email.

It wasnt until I changed the email address to her Gmail one that she got a email from steam with the code to authorise the computer.
baronvongogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
zealousyouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronvongogo View Post
I had the same problem on my wifes computer she had a hotmail address verified but recieved no email.

It wasnt until I changed the email address to her Gmail one that she got a email from steam with the code to authorise the computer.
LOL. I appreciate the tip... I just tried to do the same thing on another Steam account of mine; unfortunately to change my e-mail I also need to get a code verification from Steam since my hotmail address is already verified... and lo-and-behold guess what the problem is?!?!?

You got it, when I request through Steam settings for a code so I can change the e-mail on my account, I don't get any e-mails from Steam at all! Seems the same problem I'm having with Steam Guard is also preventing me from changing my e-mail address registered with that Steam account!

On a hunch, I also tried to change my password and my secret question, just to see if it would work. I'm not getting any e-mails from the system in regard to any of these 4 requests for changes to my account.

On the other account that Steam Guard actually has me locked out of I can't change my e-mail address, because Steam Guard currently has me locked out of even logging into the account.

This seems to confirm that this problem is happening across more than one of my accounts. I'm not getting Steam "system" messages to my confirmed e-mail address on two seperate Steam Accounts! Both of these accounts had Verified e-mail addresses!

Does this help someone at Valve figure out what/where/why this is happening?
zealousyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:49 AM   #4
zealousyouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by afarnsworth View Post
This issue is commonly reported by users running Raptr. If you're one of them, you'll need to check with them for a fix.

You may need to do Steam Guard authentication multiple times on the same computer if you are logging in via a web browser, or if you've ever checked the "Deauthorize all other computers now" box. Aside from those situations, it should just be once per computer, and once per computer/browser combination for the web.
I have never heard of "Raptr". I don't know what it is, and on the PC I am trying to log into I'm almost positive I don't have it installed as I am the only user on this PC. I will run a google search though and try to figure out what Raptr is and confirm that it is indeed NOT installed. Also seems unlikely that Raptr would be installed on all 7 different PC's I've tried to get into on the account I've been locked out of since Tues!

Anyways, thanks for the tips, I will stop back when I've confirmed 100% this is not causing the issue!

Update:It's definitely not "Raptr", it's not installed on any of the 7 different systems I've tried to log into this account on, and it definitely has never been installed on at least 3 of them ever (probably not any of them). I looked up what it is on google, and then I checked the "add or remove programs" tool under control panel, as well as searching the PC for it and came up with nothing.

Last edited by zealousyouth: 03-27-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:25 AM   #5
ShaggyDK

Have you to check the spam or junk folders? And, are you using the correct email/ login?
ShaggyDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:47 AM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6
afarnsworth

Valve
Contacting steam support is the best option - they should be able to see what's going wrong.
afarnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
zealousyouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDK View Post
Have you to check the spam or junk folders? And, are you using the correct email/ login?
Yes, I have checked the inbox, spam, and every other folder. I have also done a search for any e-mail containing the words "steam, guard, support, valve, verification." I have never ever had any other e-mail with hotmail then the one I am checking. Also please understand that I did get the e-mail from Steam Support verifying that I had submitted a ticket within about 5 seconds of filing that ticket.

There is no other e-mail that this could be. Steam Guard is simply not sending me the e-mails with the code I need to login. I have tried logging in well in excess of 100 times since this last Tues when the problem started. There would be in excess of 100 e-mails with different codes sent to me if the system was working right.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:03 AM   #8
FrostburnCS

I am having the same (#&@(!$&#$ issue. It blows my mind the incompetence of steam support. I feel the need to vent this and I PRAY that nobody has the same problem that has befallen us. Day 5 of attempting to resolve the issue. I may have to just give up and buy my games again.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:16 AM   #9
scarecrow007

Got the same problem - BUMP for help.
scarecrow007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:47 AM   #10
whiteseed

Welcome in the club. I am at day 4 still no normal support.
Day0: no support mail to the support account.
Day0-1,5: at last receive the welcome mail. Can make support account.
Day2-2,5: waiting reply for my first support messege.
Got copypasta messege. I make a reply within 30 min.
Day3-4 waiting for reply. Still nothing.

Even, i add a game key to proof of my ovnership (I add some personal data too), i still got the standard copypasta messege, to proof myself...

If its end hopefull in the near future, my first thing will be, disable that freaking steamguard...
whiteseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:57 AM   #11
maazzoc

try sending a PM to Zach and see if he can help, worked a charm last night as i and a few others were totally borked until they assisted.

My advice. DO NOT use a hotmail.* email adress for someunknown reason their email server cant send them out. But the valve staff can.. as i got the emails within seconds of Zach assisting..
Old 05-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #12
whiteseed

He helped to get the steam support welcome mail.
or
He helped to get the steam guard code?
whiteseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #13
edster

Hotmail auto-deletes steam emails without trace, unless it's a "safe sender."

I've found this solution to work:

1. Login to hotmail.
2. Click options (right top corner)
3. Click "Safe and blocked senders"
4. Click "Safe senders"
5. Add support@steampowered.com as safe sender.
6. Login to steam to re-send access code / retrieve lost account.
7. Check email
Old 06-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #14
xrodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by edster View Post
Hotmail auto-deletes steam emails without trace, unless it's a "safe sender."

I've found this solution to work:

1. Login to hotmail.
2. Click options (right top corner)
3. Click "Safe and blocked senders"
4. Click "Safe senders"
5. Add support@steampowered.com as safe sender.
6. Login to steam to re-send access code / retrieve lost account.
7. Check email
Well I am another one that is not receiving any mails with access code.

And I am 100% positive that its not blocked by my mail as purchase mails or password resets coming just fine.

Its 1.5 day now since I created support ticket and still no reply to it.
For account related issue this is unacceptable.

Last edited by xrodney: 06-27-2011 at 10:21 AM.
xrodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #15
max2

Wow glad I found this thread hopefully it doesn't get deleted. This is unacceptable and it seems like the solution may not work. That sucks for people with hotmail. This is why I don't use web based email services. Don't care if it works fine on gmail it should work fine on all web based email services. Not just certain ones.
max2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips