Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Modern Warfare

Old 03-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
vintagethedude2

Finding original Steam CD Key for CoD4

Hello,

I bought CoD4 on steam a while ago. I also have a boxed Mac version, which came with a CD key. For whatever reason, I ended up switching to a keycode that was different from both supplied to me during my purchases (I believe to get into a server from which I was illegitimately banned).

I found out that this key had been banned on my clan's server, but not the server for which I needed it to get in to. I can supply the full story, but it is long and complex.

After searching the forums here, I found no hint at how to restore the original key supplied with the steam purchase. So I registered, and was not added to the forum for aver a week, I think.

I then found my CoD4 case, pulled the manual and got my old keycode (the manual i had thought was lost to me...... found it! xD). I plugged it into CoD4 and it worked (despite what the sticky about cd keys says, you CAN plug in a retail key and have it work).

Now I have been accidentally banned by a mod on our servers, and would like to play while that GUID is being unbanned, but I cannot find the steam key again. How can I restore the key supplied with the steam purchase?

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. The game installs using the last key I had put in.

Shouldn't steam just supply users with a key on purchase, similarly to how they do with games like BC2 and Mass Effect?

Any help?

Though I will be able to play again in a short time, I would still like to have the key I paid for.

Should question of my legitimacy as a player come up, I'll say in advance that I have never been baned by Punkbuster, using ANY key. The bans issued to me on the server I mentioned above <<SR>> (Spartan Recon) were all illegitimate and I have demos recorded proving their illegitimacy (they end abruptly.... possibly with the "Player Kicked" sign.... but idk)

For you CoD4 players out there.... avoid SR servers. Their mods lack adequate training for the most part. Their mod community also includes a host of CoD4 Moderator Masochists. Their organization screams admin abuse hidden behind a facade of excessive rules (sometimes added at the discretion of the mod) and bull xD. I think they all have daddy issues.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by vintagethedude2: 03-28-2011 at 08:35 AM.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
SS.KiLLeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagethedude2 View Post
Hello,

I bought CoD4 on steam a while ago. I also have a boxed Mac version, which came with a CD key. For whatever reason, I ended up switching to a keycode that was different from both supplied to me during my purchases (I believe to get into a server from which I was illegitimately banned).

I found out that this key had been banned on my clan's server, but not the server for which I needed it to get in to. I can supply the full story, but it is long and complex.

After searching the forums here, I found no hint at how to restore the original key supplied with the steam purchase. So I registered, and was not added to the forum for aver a week, I think.

I then found my CoD4 case, pulled the manual and got my old keycode (the manual i had thought was lost to me...... found it! xD). I plugged it into CoD4 and it worked (despite what the sticky about cd keys says, you CAN plug in a retail key and have it work).

Now I have been accidentally banned by a mod on our servers, and would like to play while that GUID is being unbanned, but I cannot find the steam key again. How can I restore the key supplied with the steam purchase?

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. The game installs using the last key I had put in.

Shouldn't steam just supply users with a key on purchase, similarly to how they do with games like BC2 and Mass Effect?

Any help?

Though I will be able to play again in a short time, I would still like to have the key I paid for.

Should question of my legitimacy as a player come up, I'll say in advance that I have never been baned by Punkbuster, using ANY key. The bans issued to me on the server I mentioned above <<SR>> (Spartan Recon) were all illegitimate and I have demos recorded proving their illegitimacy (they end abruptly.... possibly with the "Player Kicked" sign.... but idk)

For you CoD4 players out there.... avoid SR servers. Their mods lack adequate training for the most part. Their mod community also includes a host of CoD4 Moderator Masochists. Their organization screams admin abuse hidden behind a facade of excessive rules (sometimes added at the discretion of the mod) and bull xD. I think they all have daddy issues.

Thanks in advance.

despite your completely story as well as your complete misunderstanding how cd keys work related to steam-(despite what the sticky about cd keys says, you CAN plug in a retail key and have it work).-i will still answer your question.

your cd key you got from steam is located by going to library, clicking on the game you want and then looking over to the far right it will say forums,support,etc,etc as well as cd key.
SS.KiLLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
Anthony_NL

It can be found in the registry

1. Go to Start -> Run-> Type regedit -> Hit Enter.

2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Activision -> Call of Duty 4

3. Double-click codkey
Anthony_NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
vintagethedude2

I am sorry if you misunderstood the point of my story. I have noticed hackers on here trying to get new keys after they have been banned by punkbuster. I can assure you that I can document every important part of this story including IP adresses, ban logs, server logs, and the demos that I recorded.

I am sure you can check my IP address that I am using to access the forums as well. You will find neither this one nor any IP Addresses I have used (i moved from Boston recently) on any PunkBuster or VAC ban lists.

I did not think CD Keys were necessary for installation. In fact, I know they aren't having installed and uninstalled several games. Sorry for the misunderstanding if it offended you.

I think your hostility is uncalled for. I am just looking for help.

As I mentioned, the CoD4 Steam page in my library has no CD Key presented, unlike games such as BFBC2 or Mass Effect. If I didn't say this explicitly enough, I apologize.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
vintagethedude2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_NL View Post
It can be found in the registry

1. Go to Start -> Run-> Type regedit -> Hit Enter.

2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Activision -> Call of Duty 4

3. Double-click codkey
Thanks. Looks like it's not the same as the one on my boxed version. You guys should switch ranks.

AWESOME! Thanks!

Last edited by vintagethedude2: 03-28-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
Anthony_NL

Quote:
Thanks. Looks like it's not the same as the one on my boxed version. You guys should switch ranks.

AWESOME! Thanks!
Your Welcome . Hope you still enjoy CoD 4.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
Xx_CoDMarck_xX

Banned
Red face

Quote:

AWESOME! Thanks!
Hi, about what you say, well I have none.

I also buy from the store of steam and before the truth, playing the pirated version from XFIRE, but as the game I decided I liked to buy from Steam.

Now that I have, tells me everywhere that my key is in use and in the library I get my original key. Someone could tell me where I can find the key that supposedly buy?

PS: Before installing the CoD4 Steam, uninstall the version you had before. But now I can not play because he always tells me that my key is in use and 6800 servers, perhaps I can only go about 300.

Someone could help me? My cod directory is the default Steam.
Xx_CoDMarck_xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
Anthony_NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx_CoDMarck_xX View Post
Hi, about what you say, well I have none.

I also buy from the store of steam and before the truth, playing the pirated version from XFIRE, but as the game I decided I liked to buy from Steam.

Now that I have, tells me everywhere that my key is in use and in the library I get my original key. Someone could tell me where I can find the key that supposedly buy?

PS: Before installing the CoD4 Steam, uninstall the version you had before. But now I can not play because he always tells me that my key is in use and 6800 servers, perhaps I can only go about 300.

Someone could help me? My cod directory is the default Steam.
Well it is possible , sinc eyou have played a pirated version that the key was still in the registry. If you install the steam version he will use the key you have there. So before installing i would suggest ccleaner to clean up the registry. Hope for you it isnt your pirated key.

Otherwise you should contact steam support about it.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
Xx_CoDMarck_xX

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_NL View Post
Well it is possible , sinc eyou have played a pirated version that the key was still in the registry. If you install the steam version he will use the key you have there. So before installing i would suggest ccleaner to clean up the registry. Hope for you it isnt your pirated key.

Otherwise you should contact steam support about it.
Hi Anthony. Thank you for your help.

I installed CCleaner and cleaned the registry. Just was when starting the steam, began to update the CoD and testing of this chance to look in the registry, I found the original CDKey.

Now I can play quietly and without any problems ... but every time I enter a server, I say "has-been kicked FourZeroOne whit Punkbuster for [Program DRIVER / Installet 125020] ...

I report on the Internet regarding this error and as I understood, the error is due to the same steam client. Apparently, there must be some bug that causes the error to CoD punkbuster. It again to install the full version pirate, an original CD ISO Internet and I'll put my code. Thus, play without the steam and may not give me the error again. (Unless this is what makes most people who have the game)

Anyway, thank you in advance for your help.
Xx_CoDMarck_xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
schnitzeljaeger

AFAIK you need to deactivate the steam ingame overlay for punkbuster games...
schnitzeljaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #11
hatredg0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitzeljaeger View Post
AFAIK you need to deactivate the steam ingame overlay for punkbuster games...
listen to this! that is your problem.
hatredg0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:53 PM   #12
Anthony_NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx_CoDMarck_xX View Post
Hi Anthony. Thank you for your help.

I installed CCleaner and cleaned the registry. Just was when starting the steam, began to update the CoD and testing of this chance to look in the registry, I found the original CDKey.

Now I can play quietly and without any problems ... but every time I enter a server, I say "has-been kicked FourZeroOne whit Punkbuster for [Program DRIVER / Installet 125020] ...

I report on the Internet regarding this error and as I understood, the error is due to the same steam client. Apparently, there must be some bug that causes the error to CoD punkbuster. It again to install the full version pirate, an original CD ISO Internet and I'll put my code. Thus, play without the steam and may not give me the error again. (Unless this is what makes most people who have the game)

Anyway, thank you in advance for your help.
the best thing you can do now is updating your punkbuster and your problem is gone. this is the most important fix for cod4 players.

disabling your steam overlay doesnt work.

Also no problem , im just helping everyone which has problems with games.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Modern Warfare