Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dino D-Day

Old 03-28-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
Meowthemouse

Sorry devs, you gotta be more realistic

20$ is too much, this game is gonna die on the day of its release if nothing is done. I really wish you all the best with your game and in the future.

Last edited by Meowthemouse: 03-28-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Kosire

800 North
The game will launch with 5 maps, and then the game will be updated with more maps, more dinos, more everything.

Last edited by c_b_fofep: 03-28-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Kosire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
Psitaylor

I think the price is reasonable, and with the promise of future content i don`t really see a problem here. I see what you are trying to do here though, quite optimistic, i don`t really think you impress anyone or make anyone not buy the game. This game is just awesome on so many levels, that nothing can make it change
And how do you know it will die on the day of the release?
OP confirmed for .
/thread
Psitaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
Centy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psitaylor View Post
I think the price is reasonable, and with the promise of future content i don`t really see a problem here. I see what you are trying to do here though, quite optimistic, i don`t really think you impress anyone or make anyone not buy the game. This game is just awesome on so many levels, that nothing can make it change
And how do you know it will die on the day of the release?
OP confirmed for .
/thread
The pricing is ok. As for the rest well the promise of future content is just that, a promise. It's not assured although if the devs are committed as they seem to be it's likely. As for it dying on day one well it might it's multiplayer only and many indie games being multi only have come out and died on their . Shattered Horizon and Plain Sight to name a couple but also some such as Lead & Gold and Monday Night Combat seem to still be very much alive.
Centy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
aspex

Threads like this lead to me getting my account banned. How the hell is $20 a lot of money for a game that looks great to someone? Not everyone cares about graphics and i can bet that's what you're on about. The devs are keen for supporting and the key thing here is it's planning on being FREE.

Threads like this also don't help, just spreading YOUR negativity through the forums might make you feel better but it does jack to help.

I will definitely be buying this game regardless of the astronomical risk of blowing a whole $20 bucks -.-

Fingers crossed this investment doesn't break me!!! /sigh
Old 03-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
aspex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centy View Post
The pricing is ok. As for the rest well the promise of future content is just that, a promise. It's not assured although if the devs are committed as they seem to be it's likely. As for it dying on day one well it might it's multiplayer only and many indie games being multi only have come out and died on their . Shattered Horizon and Plain Sight to name a couple but also some such as Lead & Gold and Monday Night Combat seem to still be very much alive.
Lead and Gold survived even through it's atrocious launch of lag filled servers, no players/crappy match making system and the ironic acronym L&G aka LAG.

If this game can get passed that, it will have a running start.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
yelyah

Banned
I have to concur with OP, specially when considering this started as a HL2 mod.
It's more expensive than Monday Night Combat!
yelyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
Spectro87

As long as all the DLC is free, $20 sounds just fine to me.
Spectro87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:56 AM   #9
Kosire

800 North
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelyah View Post
It's more expensive than Monday Night Combat!
It didn't start as a hl2 mod
Kosire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #10
Enad

As long as more content comes soon after release, $20 is fine for me.
Enad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:53 AM   #11
mombination

When I first read the title I was thinking.
This guy wants better realism in a game where there are dinosaurs in WW2?

but on topic. I think 20 dollars is reasonable depending on how much fun the multiplayer will be.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #12
dgdgagdae

$20 certainly isn't an astronomical price - for a full game. But from what I'm seeing, this may not be a full game. The dev is promising more everything in the future, but can you buy a game based on future promises?

This strategy of releasing something half-assed, charging full price, and promising to make things better later seems to be the norm these days for PC gaming.
dgdgagdae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
Ammon_ra

Quote:
I will definitely be buying this game regardless of the astronomical risk of blowing a whole $20 bucks -.-
Eh, i've spent more money on tf2 keys only to get bottles of pee and gardening tools.

cost/benefit of spending $20/€18, not bad.. Heck, the 4 pack is only 5€ more expensive than most triple A games on steam, in euroland. sucks to be us, yeah.
Ammon_ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
Agret

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelyah View Post
Was made in source sdk so runs off source sdk base not HL2, if you watch the videos for it you will see it is still using HL2 engine.

Here is the latest video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqSRdCiLHfE watching the first 1 min of that convinced me the game is not worth the money, have a watch for yourself :P I'd pay maybe $5 for it but it still looks like a mod made in spare time rather than a proper indie game, dinos have really poor animation (perhaps only walking animation?), textures are flat and dull (perhaps only that map?), guns don't seem to have any kick

If only as much effort was put into making the mod as there was put into making the posters & art for it, they look really good and high quality it's a shame the game is such a let down. You should get someone who is experienced with modelling to update the models and increase the polycounts and make the animations better. Should definitely add some recoil to the guns as they are just like the HL2 smg at the moment (probably uses the same hl2 code??), need to get your level designer to improve the levels by putting more detail into them.

Without fixing those issues I don't think you can charge $20 for the game and still have it succeed. I reckon you will probably end up having a bunch of people on release week playing then about a month later have only 2 servers with people playing on them, it's important to increase the quality of your game before release. Sure the investment is larger to begin with but the money you are receiving from pre-orders can be used to recoup some costs and then the money you will get over the course of the game release will be better if you release a high quality product to begin with. It's much much harder for people to buy into a multiplayer shooter when it's already dead than to buy and support a strong existing one.

I understand this is your first commercial game and we can't expect amazing quality from you but you still need to improve on what you have now, hopefully the beta is helping you fix a lot of gameplay issues. For instance, I see a lot of complaints about axis/ally imbalances, which can be difficult for any game with different factions. Important thing is to get some base gameplay stuff down like recoil and making sure damage values are correct, after all dinosaurs need to be able to sponge a little to make it into close range. You may have to outsource your animation work which will cost you a little bit but hopefully you can afford that with pre-order money, even if you don't get the models improved at all at least making them animate better will do wonders.

Would like to see this game succeed as I like original concepts like this, all the best to the devs.

Last edited by Agret: 04-02-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Agret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:34 PM   #15
Archosaurus

I don't understand what is with all of these people saying that pricing DDD at $20 is going to doom it. Five maps and the starter classes/weapons are well fit for $20. Not to mention all of the upcoming add-ons.
Archosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dino D-Day