Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series

Old 03-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
Grapthar

Civ 5 lag.

Everytime I play Civ V, it ALWAYS lags. I am talking about from the minute I enter the game it feels like time is slowing down.

Can anybody give me some tips as to remedy this? I am running the game of the directx9, on ALL of the lowest graphics settings. And this laptop didn't even reach it's 1st birthday. If you need the computer specs to determine the fix, then I will post them. Please, somebody find a fix I am tired of seeing my units crawl every tile.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Ape_Drape

Performance degrades the longer the game goes on. Sorry.
Ape_Drape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
wyldman68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapthar View Post
Everytime I play Civ V, it ALWAYS lags. I am talking about from the minute I enter the game it feels like time is slowing down.

Can anybody give me some tips as to remedy this? I am running the game of the directx9, on ALL of the lowest graphics settings. And this laptop didn't even reach it's 1st birthday. If you need the computer specs to determine the fix, then I will post them. Please, somebody find a fix I am tired of seeing my units crawl every tile.
What are your specs and how many items show up if you click Start Run (accessories/run Windows 7) type MSConfig, go to startup tab?
Should not be more than 5 items checked, for smooth system.
wyldman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
Grapthar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldman68 View Post
What are your specs and how many items show up if you click Start Run (accessories/run Windows 7) type MSConfig, go to startup tab?
Should not be more than 5 items checked, for smooth system.
22 items popped up when I went to MS config, and clicked the startup tab, and all are checked off.

specs:
300 gb hardrive(98 gb left)
Pentium dual core CPU T4400
2.20 GHz
3gb of memory(RAM)
and have dirctx 9, 10, 11 installed.
Grapthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
X-Dolphin

What's your graphics card? DX version means nothing without the correct graphics hardware. That CPU is also pretty weak.
X-Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
Grapthar

What CPU do you think I should download then to maximize performance?

Here is what I have installed.

Intel GMA X4500MHD

Last edited by Grapthar: 03-29-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
buchengshi

Your T4400 CPU is bottom-end, and the integrated graphics aren't made for gaming. Civ 5 isn't going to play that well on a cheap laptop.
buchengshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
Grapthar

So, do you have any idea which processor and graphics card should I download? I mean I lack expertise in this area...
Old 03-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
Akuthia

well you dont "download" a processor or graphics card, you buy them as part of your computer. I would say the gfx card is your weakest link at this point. CPU speed at this point is nothing more than a selling point. and, for single task usages, like playing a game quad core does not make a difference (most consumer applications, games included, arent written to take advantage of multiple cores)
Akuthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #10
wyldman68

Quote:
22 items popped up when I went to MS config, and clicked the startup tab, and all are checked off.

specs:
300 gb hardrive(98 gb left)
Pentium dual core CPU T4400
2.20 GHz
3gb of memory(RAM)
and have dirctx 9, 10, 11 installed.
Sounds like your startup is hogging a lot of resources. Leave your Antivirus and uncheck everything else. If you find something that is not starting that you need then go back and recheck that item. See how your Laptop performs after this house cleaning.
wyldman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
Grapthar

Quote:
Originally Posted by buchengshi View Post
Your T4400 CPU is bottom-end, and the integrated graphics aren't made for gaming. Civ 5 isn't going to play that well on a cheap laptop.
Hey, if what you mean it was a cheap computer...well it wasn't

But Akuthia, what your saying is I don't need to get a better one unless I want to go through buying a new processor and manually installing it? Any other installed 3d game does fine on my comp, it only seems to be civ V that has the problem.

I can play the game, it just jaratees me off that it is so laggy all the time. And going back to what wldyman said, would that work? Turning off all those applications?
Old 03-29-2011, 08:46 PM   #12
Akuthia

hmm, i misunderstood what you mean by 32 programs listed and all checked off... yea, go ahead and disable everything except the AV, as he said
Akuthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #13
tda-danny

Quote:
Hey, if what you mean it was a cheap computer...well it wasn't

But Akuthia, what your saying is I don't need to get a better one unless I want to go through buying a new processor and manually installing it? Any other installed 3d game does fine on my comp, it only seems to be civ V that has the problem.

I can play the game, it just jaratees me off that it is so laggy all the time. And going back to what wldyman said, would that work? Turning off all those applications?
Honestly, it "is so laggy all the time" because your laptop does not meet the minimum requirements for Civ 5.

Unchecking those startup options will not increase your experience noticeably. You will need a new computer / laptop to run Civ 5 adequately.
tda-danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:58 PM   #14
jetriot

I am surprised it plays at all. To play games on a PC you need a dedicated video card. Most notebooks do not come with dedicated video cards because they decrease battery life, are larger/heavier and unless well vented typically do not last as long as your average notebook.

That said, your notebook was probably purchased a couple years ago and was built with battery life in mind. Doesn't mean it is bad, it is simply a work laptop meant for out of the home use.

Gaming notebooks on the other hand typically have 2 hours of battery life, a 17" screen, at least 7 pounds and get hot real quickly. They also start at around $1200 today where you could purchase your particular laptop for around $400-$500 today.
jetriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:01 AM   #15
DrSuperGood

Quote:
Can anybody give me some tips as to remedy this?
Buy a desktop. For the same price as that laptop you could probably get one capable of running the game very well (and all other games for that mater).

All computer hardware is not created equal. Yes low range processors today may wipe the floor with those used in our beloved classic game systems like the PS1 but they still are nothing compared to the performance processors of today like the I7 extreem range. If you want to game, you will need higher performing components (need not be the best, just nearer the top end range). Your laptop may be perfect for surfing the internet, watching HD movies even or playing old games like WC3 but for modern gaming you will need more computational resources.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series