Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 03-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
thanosman93

Exclamation [Overclocking]Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300

Hello there. I'd like some help with overclocking my Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300.

What i'd like to say is that i am a complete newbie when it comes to overclocking. My first OC experience was today when i successfully OC'd my Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT.

P.s.: I am currently reading the Sticky(basically the two threads in it) about Overclocking 101,watching a few Youtube tutorials, googling tips etc.

I didn't really mind OC'ing my GPU, because i figured out there weren't many risks involved. But since i read that there is danger of frying my CPU, i've been scared less ever since.

In your opinion, do you think i should try to overclock my CPU, just let it as it is, anything constructive will be really appreciated.

Here is a Speccy snapshot with my full PC specs if it helps you:
PC Specs

I'll be anxiously waiting for "seasoned veteran" tips!

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
Skruly

You should tell us what CPU cooler (Heatsink / Fan) you have, and what kind of temperatures are you getting without overclocking.
Skruly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
rotNdude

Volunteer Moderator
Why do you feel you need to overclock the CPU?
rotNdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
thanosman93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skruly View Post
You should tell us what CPU cooler (Heatsink / Fan) you have, and what kind of temperatures are you getting without overclocking.
Stock cooler, around 37 oC idling and 56-58 when on load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotNdude View Post
Why do you feel you need to overclock the CPU?
I thought that since i have an old GPU, and made the mistake of buying a 22" widescreen monitor of 1920x1080 native resolution, that it might help me play some heavy games,e.g. Battlefield:Bad Company 2 @ 1920x1080 even at lowest settings. Right now i am forced to downgrade to 1024x768 @75Hz refresh rate for most games, which looks utterly awful.

Oh and unfortunately...Buying a decent GPU is not an option right now.
thanosman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
handi360

Lol, there's always a risk of bricking anything you oc, whether it be a gpu or cpu.

With anything you can buy now, there is an auto kill feature that is supposed to shut down the pc before anything gets cooked. This feature works well with most everything but there is always a chance it will not work.

Would I OC that cpu? yeah. For you being a beginner to OC'ing, as said above you want to go get an aftermarket cooler(if you dont already have one). After you have that installed you going to need to turn off the auto downclock and voltage fluctuation thing, i dont remember what they are called on c2d, been playing w/ amd too long.

After that slowly up the fsb and check for stability until it crashes then slowly up the cpu volt til it gets stable. I wouldn't recommend going to high w/ the cpu volt tho, you have to start messing w/ sb and nb voltage if you get too high and that's just a pain to fine tune.

If your board dose not have a 3-5 restart feature or a cmos button, you may have to take out the battery on your mobo to reset it after it crashes.

Last edited by handi360: 03-30-2011 at 11:19 AM.
handi360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
thanosman93

Quote:
Originally Posted by handi360 View Post
Lol, there's always a risk of bricking anything you oc, whether it be a gpu or cpu.

With anything you can buy now, there is an auto kill feature that is supposed to shut down the pc before anything gets cooked. This feature works well with most everything but there is always a chance it will not work.

Would I OC that cpu? yeah. For you being a beginner to OC'ing, as said above you want to go get an aftermarket cooler(if you dont already have one). After you have that installed you going to need to turn off the auto downclock and voltage fluctuation thing, i dont remember what they are called on c2d, been playing w/ amd too long.

After that slowly up the fsb and check for stability until it crashes then slowly up the cpu volt til it gets stable. I wouldn't recommend going to high w/ the cpu volt tho, you have to start messing w/ sb and nb voltage if you get too high and that's just a pain to fine tune.

If your board dose not have a 3-5 restart feature or a cmos button, you may have to take out the battery on your mobo to reset it after it crashes.
Thanks for the tip. Now this made me curious...Can i increase the FSB, lets say..from 333 to 400 MHz slowly without the need to modify the cpu voltage?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #7
handi360

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanosman93 View Post
Thanks for the tip. Now this made me curious...Can i increase the FSB, lets say..from 333 to 400 MHz slowly without the need to modify the cpu voltage?
Each cpu is different, even if they came out of the same batch. So your best bet is to look up what other people have came up with when oc'ing a q8300 and that will give you a ballpark of what you can do.
handi360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
thanosman93

Quote:
Originally Posted by handi360 View Post
Each cpu is different, even if they came out of the same batch. So your your best bet is to look up what other people have came up when oc'ing a q8300 and that will give you a ballpark of what you can do.
Thanks!Right on it!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #9
Unclejunebug

I would upgrade that GPU before I OC'd the CPU. A 9400GT and 1920x1080 resolution is not a good combination. That is a low end card and very underpowered.

EDIT: If it's not in the budget, start saving
Unclejunebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
thanosman93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclejunebug View Post
I would upgrade that GPU before I OC'd the CPU. A 9400GT and 1920x1080 resolution is not a good combination. That is a low end card and very underpowered.

EDIT: If it's not in the budget, start saving
Yeah i've started saving already for a couple of weeks! Too bad i am FAAAAAR too much away from affording a new GPU. Oh and if i could afford a high end one, i wouldn't even bother overclocking my CPU!
Old 03-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #11
angrytigerp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanosman93 View Post
Yeah i've started saving already for a couple of weeks! Too bad i am FAAAAAR too much away from affording a new GPU. Oh and if i could afford a high end one, i wouldn't even bother overclocking my CPU!
OCing your CPU won't bring that much performance gain... If you do buy a newer, high-end GPU (the 5870 is only $170 after rebate right now), you'd probably still want to give your CPU a kick so that IT isn't the limiting factor.
angrytigerp is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems