Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic

Old 04-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #1
Ballin

Banned
Any tips on how to boost download speeds?

I recently had to reformat my computer, so I have to redownload all my games and pretty much everything.

So far after 15 hours of downloading, I'm still on tf2 at 133.7 KB/s (cowinkadink). I've tried changing my steam download location, but it's still the same.

I used to be able to download games and anything really at 2-3 MB/s, but 5 or 6 months ago my internet just started sucking.
I called my ISP and they denied making my internet worse.

Is there any other way to boost download speeds? Cuz I'm sick of waiting to buffer advertisements on youtube (yes ads, not the damn video itself).
Old 04-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
miX_

As far as Steam goes, you could try changing the download server.. but for YouTube, I have no clue what'd be affecting the whole thing. Maybe restart your router?

Last edited by miX_: 04-03-2011 at 08:22 AM.
miX_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
iBMe

If you use Firefox with adblock plus you wont have to watch the youtube ads (possibly chrome too).

As for your speed issues I'm not sure, if your ISP says it hasn't capped you or that they use some sort of traffic shaping then I guess it could be spyware or something else client side that's using all your bandwidth.

What ISP do you use? maybe they are dirty stinking liars.
iBMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
Simonicus

A preventative measure I use regarding steam is making regular backups of my files. Even just copying "only" the Steam folder and the game save locations onto an external usb drive. I dont use the built in steam backup utility as its not so reliable apparently when it comes to recovery and thats not a risk im willing to take. The times I needed to reformat are few and far between, and most files are easily reinstalled. Except windows update on a clean install lol but there are ways around that even. But to me Steam is quite likely the biggest folder on my rig, and I have limited bandwith caps.

So all I need to do then is reinstall a fresh version of the steam client and copy the files back in to the folder directory. It sounds obvious, and doesnt help you now, but it will in the future. I learned the hard way too.

Personally I use Arconis to make proper system backups and additionally make a copy of my Steam folder on another portable disk so I dont need to re download my many games, and also so that I have quick access to them after an upgrade or clean install. But do not forget that the game saves are not all in the same place, usually my documents but back that up too or you will want to kill someone when you find months of progress in so many games lost. There is actually a thread here someplace regarding the locations of the various games.
Simonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
Ihavenoidea

Banned
Why so upset about 133.7 kb/s? Thats been my average since 1999 when DSL was new and fast. You know what I do when Im downloading something? I know its a very terrifying concept for most of SPUF, but follow me for a second...

I GO OUTSIDE
Ihavenoidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Simonicus

The highest speed I get from steam downloads are around 200kb/s, that is on a good day. I have an "8meg" adsl connection which here in the south of the UK really means between 2.5 and 3mbps if Im lucky, if its silly o clock in the morning or not many others using the pipe.
If I download a game, I generally set it going and then do something else that doesnt involve streaming hd movies etc. Heck to be honest I go make a cup of tea even when browsing youtube sometimes waiting for the video to load.

Regarding your download speeds, what is your average connection speed and is your Steam computer on a wifi connection or jacked straight into the main phone line via a router/modem?

Many steam users, myself included find improvements (within steam download speed) by adjusting the download location within your steam client.
Some people round here (united kingdom) swear by a program called ONSPEED, you can google that. I don't use it personally, but I think all it does really is use forms of compression etc when viewing regular websites so it may appear faster to the user. It does seem to help for some people, but as to if that kind of software will actually improve your download rates in steam, or pings in games, Im unqualified to say.

There are other things you might try, easily found with a google search, but bear in mind most focus on adjusting things your end, like from when the phone line enters your house. Wifi for example can be notorious so there are many things in that area like changing the channel on your receiver/router, type of adapter maybe try using some ethernet cable if you are getting slow downloads on another wifi enabled computer away from the main phone line instead of the wifi for example, just to see if you get a higher download.

Last edited by Simonicus: 04-04-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
defex

Banned
The Fastest way to reinstall games if you need to reformat
is to use the Steam back up Feature

1.http://i55.tinypic.com/x3edkw.gif

2.http://i55.tinypic.com/2yuasd3.gif

This will save you a ton of time, skipping the need to have the bulk of the game downloaded.
defex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
defex

Banned
outside of backing up games

replace any cat cable you may be using.
(cat3,4,5,5e,6,6e) use cat5 or better (higher).

it does and can go bad, especially if its moved around
its solid but thin wire that is twisted, and if one of the 8 wires inside (cat5) breaks it can cause communication errors.

if your running straight from wifi to your pc/laptop look into a replacement wifi card or adapter.

although you have a fresh install you could still try a system scan with antimalware www.malwarebytes.org
but with a fresh install its unlikely that will yeild any results.

call your isp and insist that they check the line if everything else checks out on your end.

Modems can become faulty, if you rent your modem, ask your isp for a new one. if you own it, look into a replacement.

i like to replace the cat5 between my modem to router, router to pc annually.

Last edited by defex: 04-04-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
Simonicus

Defex, Ive never used the Steam backup, but does it also backup the game saves?
I use other stuff for backup, but still needed to know where the game saves were, there is a useful sticky about game save locations. Whats your experience of the Steam Backup utility been?
Old 04-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
Lethal_Sting

Ehh, better to just copy and save the steamapps folder than try and use the steam backup.
Lethal_Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
skippy72294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballin View Post
133.7 KB/s
bro, your speed is leet (1337)
Bad pun aside, that's about my average (chicago steam servers) also...

Brother and sister on xbox live, facebook open along with steam forums... http://www.speedtest.net/result/1236431501.png
skippy72294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #12
defex

Banned
game saves are based on the game
if your game is a valve product then no worries its in the steam cloud

but other developers put saves in various locations on your pc

(some other developers are using the steam cloud now too)

the most common spot for saves is in folders inside "my documents"

but they could also be saved in "program files" or "documents and settings"
Old 04-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #13
Simonicus

I saw the leet joke earlier but just couldn't bring myself to point it out lol. But check this out. Today a bank statement revealed that I had £666.00 in my bank. Put that in your pipe and smoke it lol !
I will stop right there, I'm drifting off topic.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #14
defex

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal_Sting View Post
Ehh, better to just copy and save the steamapps folder than try and use the steam backup.
sure if the games dont have any drm

this wont work if your backing up a game that downloads with a secure-rom install... like Borderlands or Resident Evil 5

Last edited by defex: 04-04-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #15
Awesome_Sausage

1. Stop Downloading if exists.

2. Exit from Steam.

3. Go to Steam folder and find Clientregistry.blob file.

4. Simply delete it.

4.5 ????

5. Profit
Awesome_Sausage is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic