Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Old 04-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
MKM

PS3 Version Question

Alright, as you all know, buying the PS3 version gets you a free copy of the PC version. My only question is, do you have to preorder it for this offer to work, or can I do this a week later with a new copy of the PS3 version at a store like GameStop?
Old 04-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
reym420

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKM View Post
Alright, as you all know, buying the PS3 version gets you a free copy of the PC version. My only question is, do you have to preorder it for this offer to work, or can I do this a week later with a new copy of the PS3 version at a store like GameStop?
No preorder required
reym420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
schism84

From what I've read, the PS3 version makes you an owner of a licence that crosses over to PC and Mac, so no you don't need to preorder.
schism84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
MKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schism84 View Post
From what I've read, the PS3 version makes you an owner of a licence that crosses over to PC and Mac, so no you don't need to preorder.
I was hoping that was the answer, but the guy above you says you need to preorder it.
MKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
schism84

the guy above me said the same thing I did, but in three words
schism84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
MKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schism84 View Post
the guy above me said the same thing I did, but in three words
Ah, I read it wrong. I thought he was saying no to my question and that a preorder was required, assuming he forgot a comma.
MKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
FredLC

This raises a second question:

If you get a ps3 license and a PC license, and those plataforms can interact, is it possible that I buy for ps3, install it also on PC, and get a friend to my home and wr can play coop in the two plataforms, owning only one copy?

Because this possibility is the reason I'm considering ps3 versiuon over PC version...
FredLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
Hombrelobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredLC View Post
This raises a second question:

If you get a ps3 license and a PC license, and those plataforms can interact, is it possible that I buy for ps3, install it also on PC, and get a friend to my home and wr can play coop in the two plataforms, owning only one copy?

Because this possibility is the reason I'm considering ps3 versiuon over PC version...
How exactly the PSN + Steam link will handle this is not sure, but I think I know how this will be handled.

When you put in your PS3 copy of Portal 2 into the PS3 and launch it, it will ask you to register the game to Steam. There may be a code of some sort on the manual, similar to a PC game, that it will ask you to enter at that time.

If you refuse to register it, they have the ability to deny you online play.

Once it has been registered, it will add the PC version to your steam library, and online play will be enabled for the PS3 and PC version.

However, I believe that it will only let you play on one platform at a time. Think of it like iTunes, you can't be logged into the same account across multiple computers. If you log into a different system, it will kick you off the previous one.

This would stop you from being able to play on PS3, while your buddy hops onto your Steam account for PC to play with you.

So in the end, in order to do Co-Op you would probably need a second copy of the game, either for PC, MAC, or PS3.

Or, if you do split screen which is always fun!

Again, this is just an educated guess, so none of this is factual, yet.

Last edited by Hombrelobo: 04-03-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Hombrelobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2