Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sanctum

Old 04-08-2011, 05:38 AM   #1
lysiu

Why unable to build during wave?

All other td's i played had feature to build during wave. So for example if a monster get too far you could sell some towers from begining of the map and put them at the end. Just asking - why?
Old 04-08-2011, 06:32 AM   #2
Tulipopa

You wouldn't have enough time to run to the beginning and then back to the end anyways, but I get your point.

You should think yourself as the last line of defense or as the "backup"-plan. I mean in all the other TDs I have played, the player is just controlling the towers... In this game you are inside the action with your guns.
Tulipopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
AntonWestbergh

Coffee Stain Studios
Because it's a design decision.

We didn't want the player to build during the action phase for many reasons. For example the already mentioned. It's hard to run and sell, and construct under time pressure in FPS. Practically impossible.

Other reason is, we'd need to have a build HUD for the action phase as well..

Sanctum is not like other TD's
AntonWestbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
wisemx

I like that decision, with the puzzle thoughts built into the game the buy then start a wave method promotes brain power.
wisemx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
blackice64

Only upgrading towers could be an option, you have quite some time before monsters actually arrive at your base. You could upgrade a tower that is lacking firepower and you obtain the money during a rush, but building blocks and buying turrets would have to be disabled.
blackice64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:38 AM   #6
wild9ride

I like where the game is at now, and would like to throw in that you wouldn't likely be able to reliably modify an existing maze after they started walking through any holes very quickly.

Adding on? Should have thought about that before you tapped enter; shoot faster and hope you make it to the next wave.
wild9ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #7
EnigmaticAlly

If this were to be implemented, I have to admit I would get both very confused and overwhelmed. Trying to construct, run, kill enemies, etc. all that same time (in an FPS, no less) would be very difficult.
EnigmaticAlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
EchoingZen

Not to mention you would gain the ability to "bounce" the waves by constantly removing and replacing a block so that they have to keep running the maze. Leave building and defending seperate.
EchoingZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #9
OscarJilsen

Coffee Stain Studios
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoingZen View Post
Not to mention you would gain the ability to "bounce" the waves by constantly removing and replacing a block so that they have to keep running the maze.
That's the biggest reason we've chosen to keep building seperate from fighting. There are actually a lot of other reasons, but that is the major one.
OscarJilsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:15 AM   #10
Kenji_03

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarJilsen View Post
That's the biggest reason we've chosen to keep building seperate from fighting. There are actually a lot of other reasons, but that is the major one.
Some TD games have that kind of "tactic" an actual game skill they expect you to use to finish some of their "waves". I hate those kinds of games since I play a TD as a passive game, not an active one.

Sanctum gives me enough to chew on with the FPS side of it, I can't be expected to play "goalie" along with shoot things without a separate "build" menu on the tab button!
Kenji_03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sanctum