Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Old 04-10-2011, 04:36 AM   #1
Kombucho

what if amnesia had coop :D ?

i think it would be funny getting scared with someone next to you
Old 04-10-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
Duttebayo

It could be epic, but not if someone sat near you.
nobody talking.
Then you hear a growl, and then your teammates character scream.
Scary, aye?
Duttebayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:25 AM   #3
iSpaceman

My friend and me are going to have an overnight sleepover where we play it all night, I've finished it, so I'm just going to make his game hell, troll him in every possible way.
iSpaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
Smear

That sounds just awful! Maybe, in fact, the single worst idea I've ever heard short of: "Let's go drink some draino".

Nothing would ruin the game faster by removing the sense of isolation and fear then adding a second person running around with you. Why would you ever want to do this??
Smear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
Duttebayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smear View Post
That sounds just awful! Maybe, in fact, the single worst idea I've ever heard short of: "Let's go drink some draino".

Nothing would ruin the game faster by removing the sense of isolation and fear then adding a second person running around with you. Why would you ever want to do this??
Because, if no one could talk ingame, but sounds from characters could be heard.

You part ways, to find stuff.
You suddenly hear a growl, and a scream.
You go to where the sound was, and you find your friend.
Wheres the monster now?...
Duttebayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
KiteX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duttebayo View Post
Because, if no one could talk ingame, but sounds from characters could be heard.

Let's see what you think after you get in a game with me, and I spend ten minutes doing trick jumps and pretending I'm playing Quake. I assume you would be annoyed and distracted from the atmosphere.

AI could achieve the above scenario better, in my opinion.
KiteX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
Smear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duttebayo View Post

Why would I part ways with my friend? And isn't parting ways with him/her just making the game a single player experince again?

No, the game is brilliant as it is. This is a poor addition.
Smear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:11 AM   #8
icec0ld

Banned
There is a reason this hasn't been done before. It doesn't work very well.

1. Story. There is only one character. Writing two characters into the game would mean a whole different arch or set of characters.

2. Atmosphere. Many horror games dip the player in one thing to heighten the tension. loneliness. Having friend around will just water down the experience for both you. Part of being scared in the game is simply not having a hand to hold, so to speak.

3. Game play. The puzzles in amnesia are not built around co-op. In fact as far as the survival horror genre goes, Co-op is a big no. It just doesn't work. It would mean totally rewriting or working out complex events to terrify both players. In trying to scare both players lays the distinct possibility you may not at all.
icec0ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:16 AM   #9
Kombucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smear View Post

i do not think that if there is another person near , you will become brave and rambo the game . the way this game is made the atmosphere and the unknown ( if you play first time ) and monsters creeping somewhere will influence both players , the effect of paranoia will double because of two players , also running into each other in the dark while freaked out isnt a good thing lol .

Quote:
1. Story. There is only one character. Writing two characters into the game would mean a whole different arch or set of characters.
both can be the same character considering what happens in the game isnt a reality anyway with all the weird stuff going on , the 2nd player can just be a ghostly apparition or something of that sort . And puzzles dont need any tweaking for the coop they are better left as they are .

Quote:
Let's see what you think after you get in a game with me, and I spend ten minutes doing trick jumps and pretending I'm playing Quake. I assume you would be annoyed and distracted from the atmosphere.

AI could achieve the above scenario better, in my opinion.
if you are going to ruin the game then there is no point to play with you

Last edited by Kombucho: 04-11-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Kombucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:42 AM   #10
The Law Man

Not really OP, the best thing about Amnesia in my opinion is how you feel totally alone and defenseless and having a friend with you would just ruin that. I can't recall a single survival horror game that's even attempted co-op play, mostly because it ruins the atmosphere and just does not work.
The Law Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:20 AM   #11
Ricotez

WARNING: Do not read this if you haven't finished the game yet or you might be spoilered.

Spoiler:
Why do you think that for most people encountering Agrippa was one of the most memorable experiences in the game? I felt so incredibly relieved to finally find someone else in the castle who was alive (sorta) and not out to kill me. It goes to show just how incredibly isolated and lonely you feel in the game, and that is a big part of the atmosphere.
Ricotez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #12
iliketurtles!

^ Spoiler Avoided.

Anyway I do agree that this isnt the brightest of ideas. If I had my friend with me the entire time, i wouldnt be scared of anything, in fact run straight into danger for funzies
iliketurtles! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #13
Nickq2007

Quote:
i think it would be funny getting scared with someone next to you
I think it would be funny. But that's it. Co-op would likely destroy any sense of horror. Having another human player would just dull any sort tension any game has.

Plus, not every game needs a multiplayer component. Resident Evil didn't need an entirely forced co-op entry for its 5th(or is it 6th?) major installment. BioShock 2 and Dead Space 2 did not call for PVP to be poorly shoehorned in.
Nickq2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #14
blind_mind

Player 1: Did you hear that?

Player 2: Yeah. Yeah, I think so.

Player 1: Go check it out.

Player 2: No, wait --

Player 1 pushes Player 2 into the open.
Loud wailing followed by violent cacophony.
*Player 2 MURDERED by Wandering Horror*
*Player 2 has disconnected.*

Well, it would be funny.
blind_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:51 PM   #15
envirovore

No.

This would totally ruin the atmosphere Frictional were going for, as well as players immersion in the game.

Can we stop having these threads now?
envirovore is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Amnesia: The Dark Descent