Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Company of Heroes series

Old 04-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
speedmaster

Escalating to different phases? ...

I see that I can only build different building (and by extension different vehicles) once I have "escalated" to skirmish, assault, battle, etc.

What exactly does this mean? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to escalating early vs. late?

Thanks again,

Chris
Old 04-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
EllEzDee

If this is a new player question:
It exists as a balance mechanic in the multiplayer game, there's no hidden changes that occur when escalating to another phase. You simply unlock more powerful, late game type units. For example, the rocket launcher for your grenadiers is unpurchasable until you've teched to phase 4.

If this is an experienced player's question:
I usually don't tech to the next phase until i've got my bunkers up and a good holding on the map. The Wehrmacht have the advantage of having useful infantry, an MG and a scouting vehicle from their very first building, so i simply wait until i feel i'll be vulnerable to a light vehicle assault before i tech to phase 2 for the AT gun and mortar teams. Then i wait until i've amassed a large enough fuel and manpower sum before moving to the last 2 phases.
EllEzDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:36 AM   #3
Hungry_Hippo

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllEzDee View Post

If this is an experienced player's question:
I usually don't tech to the next phase until i've got my bunkers up and a good holding on the map. The Wehrmacht have the advantage of having useful infantry, an MG and a scouting vehicle from their very first building, so i simply wait until i feel i'll be vulnerable to a light vehicle assault before i tech to phase 2 for the AT gun and mortar teams. Then i wait until i've amassed a large enough fuel and manpower sum before moving to the last 2 phases.
Do you lose more matches than you win? Your tactics don't seem very sound in my opinion.
Hungry_Hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:04 AM   #4
EllEzDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry_Hippo View Post
Do you lose more matches than you win? Your tactics don't seem very sound in my opinion.
Well what can you honestly suggest is having from the second phase? I'd rather save my manpower and fuel. I can steal a mortar from the other guy if he decides to use them since the Amis have hardly any useful range, i can make grenadiers from losses to my volks squad, and i never use snipers unless i'm against a Brit. No point in having an AT gun this early either. I wait until i have a good 3 bunkers up in the most important parts of the map, medic upgrade them, put an MG squad in and hunker down with sandbags.
EllEzDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
halokingx1

Well, part of the game is about teching early in the game so you can counter your opponents. However, with some strategies you might not need to tech. If you are a new player and have not developed any specific strategies, i would recommend teching as soon as possible. If you want, you can add me on steam.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:21 AM   #6
Hungry_Hippo

Banned
Veterancy upgrades are also important early on

Last edited by Hungry_Hippo: 04-17-2011 at 02:23 AM.
Hungry_Hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
Harle

It's important to tech early most of the time. Otherwise an American rush to Armored Cars will crush you, because you won't be able to get out any significant AT, and at that point you are seriously in trouble. They will roll past your bunkers and straight up to your base, and you won't have a damn thing to counter them with. Because in order to counter you will need to 1) tech to skirmish phase, 2) build the second Wehr structure(tough to do with one or more ACs kicking around your base), and 3) build an AT gun which will honestly be pretty vulnerable against a couple of well-micro'd ACs. And they -will- be waiting for you to build an AT gun if you manage to get to that point.

Other than that, all you can do is hope to god you have a lot of Volks and a lot of spare munitions(you probably won't if you've been using it to build bunkers) so that you can panzerfaust the ACs to death.

But this largely only applies when playing against players. If you're doing a traditional compstomp, you can usually hold off a little longer than normal because the AI doesn't tend to baserush. It might build an AC or two before you've teched, but it will putter around with them and harrass your lines, usually giving you plenty of time to tech up before things get bad.

But in terms of actual, good strategy, you ideally want to counter the enemy before they attack, not after. Having strong AT on the field before you see armored vehicles really changes the nature of a match in your favour.

Oh, and another thing; MG bunkers are not that great. 150mp and 50mu for an MG that can't change direction, has a narrower and shorter field of fire than a regular HMG, and doesn't benefit from support veterency. Yes they are more complicated to destroy and are unsnipable, and yes they do reduce micro by a degree or two, but you really do have better options, and a good player (and a lucky AI) won't have much trouble sicking a cheap AT gun on it.

I do use them, but only when I go Defense(which is admittedly often), and that is largely for the reinforcement ability which, combined with the fact that it can't be sniped, considerably reduces the effectiveness of snipers. (Edit: The important note here is that you only build MG bunkers when you are floating MP and Munis, and not as a critical part of your strategy)

Anyway, to the original question:

Tech 1: Starting level.
Tech 2: Can use medkits in friendly territory. Can purchase MP40 for Volksgrenadiers.
Tech 3: Can purchase flamenwerfer upgrade for the halftrack.
Tech 4: Can purchase LMG for Grenadier unit. Can use medkits in enemy territory. Can purchase Walking Stuka upgrade for halftrack.

MP40s and medkits make it vital to tech to Skirmish phase (first upgrade) as soon as possible. MP40s turn your Volks into powerful anti-infantry fighters that will mix extraordinarily well with the HMG and the flamethrower-upgraded Pioneer. It will obviously also give you access to the grenadiers which can purchase shreks out of the gate, giving you a strong, mobile infantry force capable of self-healing that can fight off anything the Americans can throw at you. Presuming you have the munitions to purchase the upgrades.

Last edited by Harle: 04-18-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Harle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Company of Heroes series