Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
Fick
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Reputation: 393
Posts: 2,844
Boicot to Sega games.

Maybe you need a bit of information why Im doing this.

Fan-Made Streets Of Rage Remake Pulled After Request From Sega

Fan-Made Streets Of Rage Remake Pulled After Request From SegaStreets of Rage Remake, the exhaustive, fan-made homage to the classic Sega Genesis beat 'em up series, looks to have finally gotten the attention of Sega. The creators of that freely distributed Streets of Rage title have pulled the game after a request from Sega.

Released last week after some eight years in development, creators Bombergames pulled previously posted links to downloads for Streets of Rage Remake, asking forum members not to redistribute the game. Streets of Rage Remake is available for Windows PCs.

"SEGA have contacted regarding the download hosted on this site," writes a Bombergames forum moderator. "While this issue is being resolved, please do not upload the game for others to download. Any links posted on this site will be removed. Thank you."

Forum moderators have since locked a thread discussing the availability of Streets of Rage Remake.

The Streets of Rage Remake web site says its creators had informed Sega of the project during development via "a formal letter," but recent press of the 16-bit beat 'em up may have gotten Bombergames noticed.

Sega is still in the business of selling versions of Streets of Rage games through various means, including Steam, Wii Virtual Console and disc-based compilations for consoles.

Kotaku contacted Sega for details on its request to Bombergames, but the company has not yet officially responded.

Update: Sega Europe reps responded with the following statement: "SEGA is committed to supporting any fans that take an interest in our games, and where possible we do so by involving them in Beta tests and other development, marketing or research opportunities. However we need to protect our intellectual property rights and this may result in us requesting that our fans remove online imagery, videos or games in some instances."


So what do you think?
Fick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
real4xor
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Reputation: 2063
Posts: 3,273
That Remake is NOT Streets of Rage.

If they still want to sell me Streets of Rage, it had damn better be twice as awesome as that fan made remake.

I bet SEGA`s jelly, because someone dun made their crappy game into something epic and awesome.


But meh, they are in their rights. Since the original game is still in the stores.
real4xor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
velvetmeds
 
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2008
Reputation: 3270
Posts: 2,297
Crappy? It's one of the best games ever.
velvetmeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
Washell
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Reputation: 7888
Posts: 7,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fick View Post
So what do you think?
SEGA is under a legal obligation to protect its trademarks and copyrights. Failing to do so effectively renders it into public domain at which point any fan or company can start making and charging for it. They could give Bombergames a non-profit license, but that's a rare occurrence in the industry, let alone when the company is still actively selling the product.

Boycotting SEGA for this is a silly thing to do because it's a common method of doing business.
Washell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
Lister
 
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 427
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by real4xor View Post
That Remake is NOT Streets of Rage.

If they still want to sell me Streets of Rage, it had damn better be twice as awesome as that fan made remake.

I bet SEGA`s jelly, because someone dun made their crappy game into something epic and awesome.


But meh, they are in their rights. Since the original game is still in the stores.
LOL calling streets of rage crappy

underage tard detected
Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
Fick
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Reputation: 393
Posts: 2,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washell View Post
SEGA is under a legal obligation to protect its trademarks and copyrights. Failing to do so effectively renders it into public domain at which point any fan or company can start making and charging for it. They could give Bombergames a non-profit license, but that's a rare occurrence in the industry, let alone when the company is still actively selling the product.

Boycotting SEGA for this is a silly thing to do because it's a common method of doing business.
And Sega cancelling this is a dumb thing, Imagine a world where you cant make anything like a simple fan art because Sega lawyers will pursuit you.
Fick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
Lister
 
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 427
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fick View Post
And Sega cancelling this is a dumb thing, Imagine a world where you cant make anything like a simple fan art because Sega lawyers will pursuit you.
Unfortunately Sega are actively selling this game therefore dont people getting it for free when they should be paying for the product from sega

although i agree it sucks to be cancelled but welcome to the world business
Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
Ethan Hunt
 
Banned
Join Date: Apr 2011
Reputation: 56
Posts: 190
Sega becomes Sony. Hurray.
Ethan Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
Washell
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Reputation: 7888
Posts: 7,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fick View Post
And Sega cancelling this is a dumb thing, Imagine a world where you cant make anything like a simple fan art because Sega lawyers will pursuit you.
Remaking the entire game is rather a stretch of the term 'simple fan art'.
Washell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
Fick
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Reputation: 393
Posts: 2,844
But Lister, This isnt Street of Rage, This is a new remake with ALOT of new things.

Imagine Valve cancelling Death Toll (campaign for L4D1) for Left 4 Dead 2 because a group of fans made it. Its ridiculous.
Fick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
Fick
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Reputation: 393
Posts: 2,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washell View Post
Remaking the entire game is rather a stretch of the term 'simple fan art'.
And you know? people in Deviantart get CASH for Sonic fan arts.
Fick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #12
psihomir2
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Reputation: 2112
Posts: 7,485
Looking at the game's website, it seems to be called "Streets of Rage Remake," so I think it's pretty obvious why it was pulled down. Remaking a game is one thing, but outright using the (probably copyrighted) name of the original is completely different. Also note that the developer said the matter is "being resolved" so it's not like the ban is final anyway.

I say we hold off the drama and boycotts until we've heard what the real situation was.
psihomir2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #13
Lister
 
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 427
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fick View Post
But Lister, This isnt Street of Rage, This is a new remake with ALOT of new things.

Imagine Valve cancelling Death Toll (campaign for L4D1) for Left 4 Dead 2 because a group of fans made it. Its ridiculous.
But its still the core game that doesnt belong to them

Also Valve wouldnt lose out for death toll because you still have to own the L4D product to use it, in this case you dont need to buy the game to use this remake therefore Sega are losing out
Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
Washell
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Reputation: 7888
Posts: 7,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fick View Post
And you know? people in Deviantart get CASH for Sonic fan arts.
And that's copyright infringement for which they can get sued. What's your point? The fact that people do certain things doesn't mean it passes legal. As a company you need to pick your battles, a direct remake is just too close for comfort.
Washell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #15
Flurgorg
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Reputation: 1685
Posts: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by psihomir2 View Post
Looking at the game's website, it seems to be called "Streets of Rage Remake," so I think it's pretty obvious why it was pulled down. Remaking a game is one thing, but outright using the (probably copyrighted) name of the original is completely different. Also note that the developer said the matter is "being resolved" so it's not like the ban is final anyway.

I say we hold off the drama and boycotts until we've heard what the real situation was.
Awwww, but I want to be all reactionary and emotional...

DEATH TO SEGA!!!!
Flurgorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.