Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 04-14-2011, 04:37 AM   #1
HitmanHL2

L4D2,TF2,HL2DM don't start

If I start TF2, it simply doesn't start, but there's an hl2.exe in Task Manager. (Win7x64)
If I start L4D2 (or HL2DM), it starts and plays the intro, but then the L4D2.exe doesn't respond in Task Manager.
CSS, DODS, Portal work. (I have no other Source Games installed)
I've just recently reinstalled Steam and downloaded all games completly new, but the problem's still there.
I also installed the current GPU-driver and switched BitDefender Anti-Virus and Firewall off.

How can play TF2, L4D2 and HL2DM?

Old 04-14-2011, 04:54 AM   #2
Nekomancer

What are your system specs? Which version of Bitdefender are you using? I have no problems with BitDefender Internet Security 2011 (Anti-virus and firewall).
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:43 AM   #3
Metu_el

Hello!

Have the exact same problem with TF2 & L4D2! The "Prepare to launch" window just closes and I'm still on my desktop, but task manager says hl2.exe or left4dead2.exe is running. Funny thing, the error first occured with TF2 some days ago and I was desperatly looking up all threads about that issue in the different forums Google could find for me. Many similar problems with good solutions, but not for this paticular one. Full reinstall of Steam and all the time downloading the game again didn't work.

Then I tried almost all things from the Troubleshooting Guide written by Steam Support. But since nothing changed I thought "Scr** you!" and decided to take a break from that game.

Then I bought L4D2 just yesterday and it worked well, but today it crashes to desktop mid-game without an error. (I remember, it started the same way with TF2.) I restarted the game and the same problem as Hitman mentioned occured. I force closed it and since then it won't start at all. Same problem as TF2 now.

There should not be a problem with minimum system requirements cause I bought my computer only a few months ago and didn't make major changes since then. Got BitDefender Internet Security 2011, too. But Steam got all rights from my firewall and I always play in game mode.

Haven't contacted the Support, yet, cause they might only refer to the before mentioned troubleshooting guide.

I hope, some one might have an easier answer.

By the way, excuse my language. English isn't my mothertongue.
Metu_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:44 AM   #4
OranjeHazelnoot

Same problem here. I can't start TF2 and Portal. Both games show up in the task manager as HL2.exe but nothing else happens.

L4D, L4D2 and HL2 are working.

Have tryed to delet ALL related .gcf files in the steamapps folder and deleted the whole TF2/Portal folder. Redownloaded the games from Steam but it's still the same

Don't know what's wrong as it has worked earlyer(was broken befor the hatless update).
Old 04-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
HitmanHL2

TF2/L4D2 used to work, I haven't played for a long time and a few months when I tried to start the game, I just thought "Okay, then I do something different" and so I didn't do anything to make that games work again.
Now, I tried it once again, additionally post this thread.

specs:
BitDefender Internet Security 2011
Win7x64
hardware good enough for Source Engine (even Crysis 2)
Old 04-19-2011, 12:28 AM   #6
Metu_el

Well, with the new update, which should have solved all those crash problems, does TF2 run again on your computers?

On my it still doesn't... yeah!!! *sarcasm*

At least L4D2 is playable again for a few days now.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
HitmanHL2

I've just played a little bit DOD:S, but when the map changed, HL2.exe crashed and now I have exactly the same problem also with CSS and DODS. The HL2.exe starts in Task Manager, but nothing else happens... WTF!?

>>>>> How do I contact this damn Steam Support!? <<<<<<<
Finally I've found this https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...1223-QROC-4460 but then this error appears:

The username and password you entered did not match any Steam support accounts on record. Your support account is different from your Steam account. If you have not yet created a Steam support account, please do so below.

Steam does not know my steam account!?
Why does Valve not want their customers to contact them??
Old 06-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
snapjak

It's a different account. Not your Steam client account.
Steam, forums, support all have exclusive accounts.
snapjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
HitmanHL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapjak View Post
It's a different account. Not your Steam client account.
Steam, forums, support all have exclusive accounts.
It's the same, so I also tried that one.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #10
snapjak

Steam (client that you play games with) - Account #1
Forums - Account #2
Support - Account #3

Three different accounts.
snapjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:06 AM   #11
HitmanHL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapjak View Post
Steam (client that you play games with) - Account #1
Forums - Account #2
Support - Account #3

Three different accounts.
A separated account for Support? Why so complicated? I contacted the Support.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #12
Lemoncholic

I'm having a problem like this. My computer used to run both games no problem. It was down for a month due to a virus. That was resolved and I went back onto steam downloaded and completed Portal 2 (which was amazing by the way) and went to go play TF2.

As soon as I try to join a game it says Hl2.exe has stopped responding aqlso happens if I try to play offline. L4D2 quits at the menu screen.

Kinda irritating
Old 06-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #13
Nekomancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanHL2 View Post
A separated account for Support? Why so complicated? I contacted the Support.
Well, if one login for all three systems would be used it would be bad if you lose access somehow, you wouldn't be able to contact support if you can't login in Steam anymore, or the forums.

That's why it's separate. There's a reason behind that.
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #14
HitmanHL2

Oookay... I just started CSS (the only game that's installed) on my laptop and I just noticed even on my laptop I have THE SAME PROBLEM!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:55 AM   #15
Metu_el

You still got the problem? Cause me does even after all the patches... Had a break from TF2 for a while and tried it again today. Could play half a match, but lost connection to steam. On rejoin it crashes and since then prepare to launch bug or crash on loading screen to menu or when connecting to server.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips