Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 04-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
SilentGTboy

Arrow [@ VALVe] Free PC copy vs. Paid copy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccaskey VALVe View Post
I can tell you though that on PS3, you must be logged into PSN to play online co-op, you must also auto-create or link an existing Steam account to your PSN account. Each Steam account can only link to a single PSN account, but you may have multiple user profiles each with their own PSN account and their own linked Steam account on your PS3, or even on a PS3 at a friends house. The limit here is just that you can only play on one PS3 at a time with a single game disc.

If you are asking about whether your Steam account can be used on PC at the same time as PS3, it can. You can play any of your PC games on your PC and stay connected to Steam while also being connected to Steam with the same linked Steam account on your PS3 for Portal 2. This is different than the single session at a time model Steam has always had on PC/OSX. The model is now one single PC or OSX session, plus one PS3 session at once. If you receive a friends message while signed in on PS3 and PC then it will be broadcast to both locations, same for game invites, etc. One thing that you cannot do here is play Portal 2 with yourself by playing on PC and PS3 and inviting yourself.
To play online co-op two separate Steam accounts must be involved.

My fear is this:

Free PC copy is linked to my Steam

and can't play co-op with own steam account because my

PS3/PSN account is linked my steam

and that a paid PC copy would be no different because

Paid steam copy is linked to my Steam

Because it is still on one account and you can't play cross platform on the same account

Do I need multiple copies and accounts to play cross-platform co-op with my wife via PS3/Alienware? It would be silly to think there are measures preventing you from playing PS3 co-op with your free PC copy in your house with someone.

Quote:
"A PS3 user with a code can access the features of Steamworks and play cross-play co-op, but only access PS3-to-PS3 co-op without."
- GamerZines during an interview http://www.gamerzines.com/ps3/previe...interview.html

So you either need a second PC copy on a second steam account

or a second code to activate cross-platform on a second PSN account

all so you can have one player on a TV and one player on a PC playing cross co-op in your home?

[added 10 hours prior to release]
This being unanswered is going to make me leave my PS3 copy unlinked, as well as my physical PC copy unopened, as to not throw away a redemtion code and paid copy. If someone from VAVLe could please clarify that would be much appreciated.

-::UPDATED::-
You CAN play co-op with your free PC Copy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccaskey View Post
You need two Steam accounts involved to play multiplayer online. You can't join yourself on PC with PS3 using the same account at the same time. It's mostly a technical issue where various systems just don't expect a single player with the same SteamID to be joining his or herself.

On PS3 your wife can just create her own local user profile, PSN account, and new Steam account and join you on your PC copy. You can still have your local user profile and PSN account linked to your Steam account on the PS3 as well.
If this is the only line you read the details are above in the jmccaskey qoutes

-::Update post-release::-
I connected my wife's Playstation ID to her Steam account and downloaded Portal 2 on her laptop.
I then signed into my Playstation account and played co-op with her laptop copy. It was very simple.

Last edited by SilentGTboy: 04-20-2011 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
Swordsman

there's no difference

you play at the pc version when you can't play at your ps3, and vice-versa

understand that it's not two copies, it's just the same game in another platform
Swordsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
hunter1801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman View Post
you play at the pc version when you can't play at your ps3, and vice-versa
Except the save files aren't compatible so you can't go back and forth between the systems picking up where you left off.
hunter1801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
carlz0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1801 View Post
Except the save files aren't compatible so you can't go back and forth between the systems picking up where you left off.
It might still unlock your latest position in the game, so you can at least pick the level you were on or something, though.
carlz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
Vitreosity

PS3 uses steam cloud. If you unlock level 10 on PC, you unlock level 10 on PS3.
Vitreosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
TheDenogginizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitreosity View Post
PS3 uses steam cloud. If you unlock level 10 on PC, you unlock level 10 on PS3.
So they are only "linked" through the steam account?

Here's an idea. Buy PS3 version, get PC code, return PS3 version to EB/other game store for partial end up getting PC version of game for retail-trade in value.

Viable?
TheDenogginizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
untalented893

The only difference is that you're paying $10 more for the PS3 version. I considered getting the PS3 version but I'm cheap and I'd probably only play on PC anyway
untalented893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
crewxp

If I'm about to buy Portal 2 for PC, can I buy the ps3 version and get the exact same features as the PC does?

Thinking of just getting the ps3 version just for the bonus of the extra ps3 game.

And the two can't play coop with each other, right?
Old 04-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #9
stevethepocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDenogginizer View Post

Here's an idea. Buy PS3 version, get PC code, return PS3 version to EB/other game store for partial end up getting PC version of game for retail-trade in value.

Viable?
Dishonest. Using the code means whoever buys the game used won't be able to connect to Steam, which might lock them out of multiplayer entirely.
stevethepocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
crewxp

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethepocket View Post
Dishonest. Using the code means whoever buys the game used won't be able to connect to Steam, which might lock them out of multiplayer entirely.
...so... the ps3 game can never be traded in/sold? Gamestops will go out of business if all games started using this!
Old 04-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #11
flashedarling

Here is how I understand it, although I'd like someone to confirm my suspicion if possible. My understanding is the one time code isn't to associate your Steam account and PSN account, the one-time code is just to recieve a PC copy of the game

You buy the PS3 version. It installs steam for PS3 on your system and links your PSN account to your Steam account. Inside the box there is a one-time use code. You take that code to your computer to add a PC version to your account so you can now play on your PC/Mac as well.

Your friend comes over to try out Portal 2, but wants to use his account in order to save any achievements he might get (plus the cloud means if he wants to buy it later he can start where he left off). You log out of PSN and let him log in. He can now associate his Steam account with his PSN account and since the disc is still in the console he can play Portal 2 on the PS3. However, since the one-time use code has been used he cannot get a PC/Mac version attached to his account until he purchases the game himself. He only gets to play when using your disc same as any console game.

We'll see how this all works on Tuesday I suppose.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
crewxp

theory sounds good
Old 04-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #13
pwn247

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDenogginizer View Post

Viable?
Nope. I'm pretty sure E.B. Games and Gamestop have both said that they're not going to be accepting used/opened Portal 2 games.

I will find a citation, brb.
pwn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:53 AM   #14
sunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1801 View Post
No.

You can play where you left of on the pc or ps3
sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #15
SilentGTboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwn247 View Post
Nope. I'm pretty sure E.B. Games and Gamestop have both said that they're not going to be accepting used/opened Portal 2 games.

I will find a citation, brb.
Blockbuster.com has rental copies coming 8/01/11
And the quote in the OP talks of using the PS3 copy with multiple accounts on multiple PS3s

UPDATED OP btw
SilentGTboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2