Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > F1 2010

Old 04-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
Mr.Duck

Red face Awful, dumbed down, irritating crock of...

F1 2010 is an awful, dumbed down, irritating and unrealistic crock of game. Painfully obvious console port. Forever showing loading screens. Music is terrible just have to turn it off after a few mins. Interface is dreadful, tedious to navigate, difficult to navigate. Condescending and simplistic text/voice in game. Couldn't bare to play it for more than 30 mins.

GFWL just another bundle of crap in it's own right. Don't want to get into that. Wouldn't recommend F1 2010 for even $0.05. If you like your F1, avoid this game. Maybe you will like this game if you are 11 years old and like your xbox.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:48 PM   #2
mudflaps

Banned
i must ask....how do you know its unrealistic? are you an F1 driver? were you ever a F1 driver? At a guess i would say most games are unrealistic.

the game has problems. The main one being a producer that does not have the manpower or the will to fix the numerous bugs that make the sp F1 experience extremely poor.
mudflaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
ElDuderino7256

Why does everybody moan about gfwl? I set up an account when I got gta4. It was no big hassle. The nav menus are easy enough. It's not a bad game. They can make it better no question. But ya knew codes first effort at an f1 game would have some teething pains.
ElDuderino7256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
Mr.Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudflaps View Post
i must ask....how do you know its unrealistic?
The physics are poor. The way the cars move around with regards to momentum and mass, etc. Consoles have limited resources and all the CPU power will be used for the graphics. I'm sure everything is accounted for like for the weather and tyre wear. It's just a cheap facsimile. A toy.

I installed the GFWL stuff. It's a crock of bloated that installed system processes that I had to block using the services.msc control applet. GFWL is cancer.
Mr.Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
lordofterror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Duck View Post
The physics are poor. The way the cars move around with regards to momentum and mass, etc. Consoles have limited resources and all the CPU power will be used for the graphics. I'm sure everything is accounted for like for the weather and tyre wear. It's just a cheap facsimile. A toy.

I installed the GFWL stuff. It's a crock of bloated that installed system processes that I had to block using the services.msc control applet. GFWL is cancer.
well its their way of torturing and the developers dont learn their lesson after this the next game f12011 is going to be gfwl :X why dont they add steamworks watch the next game turn up with the same issue
lordofterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
jimgnarkill

I found the game quite enjoyable. Pre-patch the graphics were spectacular and smooth, but post patch they were muddy and I couldnt have them set to maximum as pre-patch.

I too was hoping for a simulator, but I still found the 'F-zero' type handling fun online. The career mode was too broken to play for long, and so disapointing that I have never completed an entire season, because the game conspires to jarate you off at every turn.

The single patch, that didnt really fix anything except the OUTRAGEOUS launch bug that meant the AI cars didnt have to pit in a race ( are you serious CM) and also made the graphics worse and AI behaviour absolutely unnacceptable in practice for a GP, whereby they race after you at max pace, until they overtake, then they fall back, until you are at the head of a high speed traffic jam...OMG

I was intending to play the game all year long until 2011 came out, but Im afraid 150 odd hours of play and Ive had enough. Huge dispointment for me, and tbh Ive never been so angry with a developer as I was with Cm, when the game only got partially patched. God, as for the XML edit necessary to make puddles appear as they did pre-patch, makes you wonder if the licence isnt going to jsst be a cash cow for CM, with no attempts to make it a ground-breaking sim.

Good looking pre-patch, poor support from developer, limited online features (probably as limited as it can be these days and still count as an onlien game), questionable AI performance, whereby most peopel have come to believe that AI pace and times are not set by actaul cars, more by an engine 'dice roll' in the background when the cars are not in the players line of sight. T4RG4 swore blind to me that this was not the case, btu why else would they not allow views from all cars in the replay?

Anyway, soz, Ive not played it in months, but everytime I think about it, it makes me angry.

I would not reccomend buying this game if you are remotely interested in the actual sport of F1.

I will probably take a punt on 2011 though, as I like CMs other racers, which never pretended to be anything other than arcade games. I will no way pre-order, or even consider buying it until I can get for under £20 at most.

Unless it receives glowing reviews from USERs, here and on CM forums.

PS
Like I said, I did like it for a short time, but all in all I felt a bit robbed all round by the whole experience. Even EA supports their games beyond 1 inadequate patch. Also the silence from CM regarding this is an outrage.

CM certainly aint the 'Codies' of old : (
jimgnarkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:40 PM   #7
jimgnarkill

Oh and as for GFWL, I had no problem with that either, until about 2 weeks ago, I was forced to remove it, because as it attempted to update in the background (GFWL not logged in or anything, not a service I use, just randomly updating), it was consuming 70% of my CPU PERMANENTLY.

A manual update would have solved it, but pffft. The damn program still cost me an hour of tryign to find out why 'trustedinstaller.exe' was eating all my CPU.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #8
jimgnarkill

Quote:

You forgot to mention that real F1 cars dont automatically straighten up out of a spin if you touch the brake.
This feature would be ok in easy mode, but its an actual feature of the car handling, and is as you say, a crock of .

I mean, if you spin in this game, you really cant drive, like REALLY cant drive.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:12 AM   #9
slzratchy

I take it you guys also complain about FPS games not being realistic enough when you make head shots and not having the correct player graphics/features...

I for one have have loved this game, and ever since purchase (6months ago) have been excited for the actual F1 events (thumbs up for Webbers performance in China) Radeon hd 5770 graphics and phenom II x2 cpu and the game runs perfect (aside from the odd lag in the later stages of the race)
slzratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #10
Mr.Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgnarkill View Post
I will probably take a punt on 2011 though
Seriously?? I expect F1 2011 just to be a patched version of F1 2010. Quite honestly, they could release F1 2011 as DLC for like $2. But no, they are just making the most money they can out of the smallest effort and development costs. The PC release of F1 2010 is little more than an afterthought to extract a bit more revenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slzratchy View Post
I take it you guys also complain about FPS games not being realistic enough when you make head shots and not having the correct player graphics/features...
No I don't. It's about gameplay and fun. F1 is more serious and should be realistic. Just like the flight sim XPlane. You fly that, you can fly a real plane. Graphical detail is of secondary importance. F1 2010 is just a failure. They pretend it's realistic but they are only kidding console players and a handful of Steam users by the looks of it.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:14 AM   #11
jimgnarkill

Quote:
Seriously?? I expect F1 2011 just to be a patched version of F1 2010. Quite honestly, they could release F1 2011 as DLC for like $2. But no, they are just making the most money they can out of the smallest effort and development costs. The PC release of F1 2010 is little more than an afterthought to extract a bit more revenue.

No I don't. It's about gameplay and fun. F1 is more serious and should be realistic. Just like the flight sim XPlane. You fly that, you can fly a real plane. Graphical detail is of secondary importance. F1 2010 is just a failure. They pretend it's realistic but they are only kidding console players and a handful of Steam users by the looks of it.

I dont disagree man, hence I used the term 'take a punt on'.

You never know...

could be good, or at least a finished product with some reasonable support afterwards.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:39 AM   #12
jimgnarkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by slzratchy View Post

I for one have have loved this game, and ever since purchase (6months ago) have been excited for the actual F1 events (thumbs up for Webbers performance in China) Radeon hd 5770 graphics and phenom II x2 cpu and the game runs perfect (aside from the odd lag in the later stages of the race)
Now you are into F1, you will start to notice all the ways the game is disapointing to F1 fans and players hoping for a simulation of the sport.

I like the game too, but Im not playing it anymore, there is just not enough depth to it, aside from the bugs etc.
The main missing component in my opinion are decent meaningful stats. (timing mostly but to a lesser extent I would have loved to have seen telemetry that could be reviewed in order to spot mistakes and advantages).

I would happily sacrifice fancy graphics and 'live the life' for these things and more realistic handling on the cars.
True, I have nver driven an F1 car, but Im damn sure they dont automatically straighten up out of a spin when the brakes are applied!
Anyway, I have nothing against the unrealistic handling really, its still FUN and thats the most important thing.

I just wish there was more attention to detail, in gameplay and features.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #13
JimmyMcNulty

You clearly know nothing about how long it takes for a developer to create a very realistic sim game.

A year is not enough. This is a commercial game, when have sims ever been best sellers?

Maybe you should try google, i think you are misdirecting your rage which is actually embarassment for feeling 'conned'.
JimmyMcNulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #14
jimgnarkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMcNulty View Post
You clearly know nothing about how long it takes for a developer to create a very realistic sim game.

A year is not enough. This is a commercial game, when have sims ever been best sellers?

Maybe you should try google, i think you are misdirecting your rage which is actually embarassment for feeling 'conned'.
You are totally correct actually. I mostly play 'Lock on Modern Air Combat' and am still on IL2 1946. Just those 2 games were not only 5 or so years in the making, but undergo constant community modification and official development, with the developers active on their forums etc.

I think I will give 2011 a miss after all, and wait for one of the upcoming sims. I for one believed the hype, even though I had played Cms other racers, and liked them, except for Dirt 2 because they seemed to forget real rallying, in the form of racing stage to stage solo, and made a game populated by washed up skaters and BMXers.

I love F1, but when gaming I love details, stats and complex controls and gameplay, and I suppose us types just arent the target audience.

(Ive whined far too much about this game, and I officially retire)
Old 04-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #15
Mr.Duck

Quote:
True... but it's not really relevant is it?

Quote:
That's part of the complaint. The game is just a cheap console port. Maximise the cost to profit ratio, drop support for the game upon release, repeat (F1 2011 next).

Quote:
I tried Google but it was a pretty poor racing sim tbh. I think even F1 2010 is better. Not by much though.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > F1 2010