Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Old 04-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
Mokagogo

Question VALVe Isn't Green

This is a thought I've had for a while, so I thought maybe I should just get it off my chest.

Ever since the TF2 idling-for-drops debacle, I've felt that VALVe isn't a very 'green' company. They actively encourage users to leave their PCs on all night and day for very little gain in personal satisfaction or game enjoyment.

Can anyone imagine how much electricity has been spent on PCs idling through the Potato Sack games in the past few days? It's pretty irresponsible.

And the irony is, not only is it a pretty irresponsible idea in the first place -- but it's not going to result in much of an earlier release anyway, so that mammoth effort and costly energy usage won't result in much enjoyment for the players either.

After finishing Portal 2, we all better take a break from our PCs (and Steam) for a week to make up for it.

***Edit: I didn't realise quite how many people this thread would jarate off. If you are one of those people, I suggest watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFeI7Vo3c4s and enjoying yourself for a bit.***

Last edited by Mokagogo: 04-17-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
lucky644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokagogo View Post
This is a thought I've had for a while, so I thought maybe I should just get it off my chest.

Ever since the TF2 idling-for-drops debacle, I've felt that VALVe isn't a very 'green' company. They actively encourage users to leave their PCs on all night and day for very little gain in personal satisfaction or game enjoyment.

Can anyone imagine how much electricity has been spent on PCs idling through the Potato Sack games in the past few days? It's pretty irresponsible.

And the irony is, not only is it a pretty irresponsible idea in the first place -- but it's not going to result in much of an earlier release anyway, so that mammoth effort and costly energy usage won't result in much enjoyment for the players either.

After finishing Portal 2, we all better take a break from our PCs (and Steam) for a week to make up for it.
Well, you're wasting power right now by posting on forums. Maybe you should shut your pc off instead.
lucky644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
Vic_Rattlehead

Quote:
Wrong already. Valve actively DIScouraged idling when people were doing it, and they have said leaving Potato games idle doesn't work. Get out.
Vic_Rattlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Beelzebud

Just think of the carbon footprint you left by writing this message, and then having other people read it. How do you sleep at night?
Beelzebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
Mokagogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Rattlehead View Post
Wrong already. Valve actively DIScouraged idling when people were doing it, and they have said leaving Potato games idle doesn't work. Get out.
OK. It doesn't work.

Are people doing it?
Mokagogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
tiedie

So tired of this "green" trash these days, some guy made it up
tiedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #7
Mokagogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky644 View Post
Well, you're wasting power right now by posting on forums. Maybe you should shut your pc off instead.
That's a weak counter-argument. I usually have my PC on at this time anyway. But lots (if not the majority) of people idling on games, especially overnight, would otherwise have their PCs off.
Mokagogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
Spaceguy5

It doesn't matter how much paper I use, the same amount will still be produced. It doesn't matter if I turn my computer off every hour, or every 3 months. It's going to have very little to no effect on how much power the power suppliers here produce.
Spaceguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
Ashkins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAMZjv1UZuU
Ashkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #10
nick21013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiedie View Post
So tired of this "green" trash these days, some guy made it up
Amen to that
Old 04-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #11
jimi060

OH NOES wasting valuable electricity!
jimi060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #12
Gloone

Banned
OP: that is pretty true.

Personally though I think the blame lies with your government. If you lived in a country with entirely green energy, there'd be no problem.
Gloone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #13
Ophite

You can't blame valve for individuals idling with their pc when they said it didn't work. Valve played their parts, what do you want them to do? Barge in people's house and force them to close their pc? It's not their fault if people aren't listening.
Ophite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #14
jack36547

Quote:

Uh VALVe? This is GLaDOS man...
jack36547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #15
AchronTimeless

My computer stays on 24/7 anyway. That being said, I'm sure as hell not bothering with this circus act any longer, especially after a few emails I've had with Valve staff. There's only so much that can be said, they're being monitored, but taken in context it appears that the fans aren't the only ones upset by this mess.

edit: no I'm not going to explain further. they took a big enough risk already. I contacted them with an email that isn't associated with anything I've done through steam, and I'm not going to quote anything because that would come up in a quick search of their email systems.

Last edited by AchronTimeless: 04-17-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2