Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 04-18-2011, 08:20 AM   #1
Fatimmortal

Banned
USB 3.0? How to tell?

How do I tell if a certain USB port is 3.0? As far as I know, the ports would usually be blue colored. But checking out some laptops at a nearby retailer, some of them don't have these blue colored ports but when I go into Device Manager on these laptops, USB 3.0 shows up.

What do?

Also, is it better to buy a laptop with a BD-ROM drive or just get one with a regular DVD combo drive then get an external BD drive?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
pmc64

Typicly they're blue but if you look up the different models online it'll tell you if they have usb 3. If you really want a bd drive just buy one with it i see little point in having a portable laptop and then needing to have external gear for it.
pmc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
zezzex

Read the manual for the motherboard or computer.
zezzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
nabokovfan87

The cords are slightly different, some of the usb 3.0 mini ports have a completely different plug, but the main thing is the color.

Also, I am 99% sure, if you use a 2.0 plug in a 3.0 port it will work, just be slower. Like hdmi, the port is fine, but hdmi is hdmi, the cord will work, but there are different revisions.
nabokovfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
rotNdude

Volunteer Moderator
Device manager will tell you what the level of bandwidth is. However, you need to know what ports are actually running USB3. Color doesn't always matter. Take a USB3 device with you and check the throughput.

Regarding BD-ROM versus CD/DVD, that's a personal choice.
rotNdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
Fatimmortal

Banned
Okay, so first off, I'm not buying anything. My friend is.

And his aim is to get a laptop of certain specs, including at least one USB 3.0 port for future proofing, since the laptop is gonna be his desktop replacement.

He has his sights on two laptops, one would be a laptop with a BD-ROM/DVD combo drive and the other one being the one without a BD drive but SUPPOSEDLY has USB 3.0.

He could just go for other brands, but other brands with the same specs cost at least 300-500 more in local currency. His budget is only about 1.5k SGD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabokovfan87 View Post
The cords are slightly different, some of the usb 3.0 mini ports have a completely different plug, but the main thing is the color.

Also, I am 99% sure, if you use a 2.0 plug in a 3.0 port it will work, just be slower. Like hdmi, the port is fine, but hdmi is hdmi, the cord will work, but there are different revisions.
He needs 3.0 for futureproofing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotNdude View Post
Device manager will tell you what the level of bandwidth is. However, you need to know what ports are actually running USB3. Color doesn't always matter. Take a USB3 device with you and check the throughput.

Regarding BD-ROM versus CD/DVD, that's a personal choice.
He doesn't have a USB 3.0 device at the moment, nor do we know how to check this "bandwidth" thing through the device manager. We could ask the salesmen on the actual specs, but they're complete idiots when it come to tech-related stuff. >.<

Last edited by Fatimmortal: 04-18-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Fatimmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
pmc64

Well if hes going to a store and looking at displays they should have stickers on it saying usb 3 because they're trying to use that to sell laptops. Its just easiest to look it up online.
pmc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
Fatimmortal

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc64 View Post
Well if hes going to a store and looking at displays they should have stickers on it saying usb 3 because they're trying to use that to sell laptops. Its just easiest to look it up online.
We did look online, and the specs list USB 3.0. But everywhere we go, these laptops have a security USB thing right into the port that's supposed to be the USB 3.0 port. The salesmen won't let us take it out either, to confirm if it's really a USB 3.0 port.
Fatimmortal is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems