Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Old 04-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
panicmechanic

Valve, We Didn't Like How You Handled Your Release

There are a lot of threads running about making claims and pointing fingers so lets just try and put all our complaints into this one thread and keep it live. I'll try and update.

I wont be dealing with counter arguments and whatnot, this is just a list of why we're jarateed off, if you don't agree that's fine, you can start your own "Valve, we REALLY like the way you handled this release thread." I'm not saying everyone feels this way, but some do.

First off, I'm a big fan of valve and I still hope that PC gamers will get something more than a couple of hours off the official release while PS3, Xbox and others will have it before us.

So without further ado, I present the list of complaints!

1. We're unhappy because we feel like we were mislead:

Come on Valve, you know what you were doing, you knew what the speculation was, you should have simply said "Yeah, this ARG is cool and all, but honestly, don't get too excited because at best you'll knock a few hours off the release time."

PC gamers have been the core of your fanbase for a long time and we feel like we have been mislead.

2. While you have obviously seen the fact that the countdown timer was not going as (hopefully) planned, nothing was changed. Despite it being in your power to do so.

A lot of us saw this coming, a lot of us didn't buy the potato pack because we realised it porbably wouldn't mae a big difference. Others didn't, others bought it specifically because they thought they could make a difference and were willing to hand over their money to do so. That's a lot of trust we placed in you. So when it started going wrong, and people started getting angry, why was nothing done?

3. Why have we still not heard from you?

I hope it's because there's a big surprise coming, but if not. Honestly what were you thinking? A lot of people feel like they've been taken for a joyride, some words from Gabe or ANYONE really, just letting us know you're sorry would be nice.

That's all I have at the moment. Thanks. And Valve, I feel like an abused housewife, you've hurt me, but I'll take you back.

Last edited by panicmechanic: 04-18-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
Larspcus2

Who is we? You and your friend hair?

Last edited by Larspcus2: 04-18-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
pwn247

"We"?

I liked it.

Why so many threads about this?
pwn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
rebgav

IMPORTANT COLORED TEXT.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
Gamer_Untouch

I'm typing in large red text.

This means my post is important and has lots of meaning.
Gamer_Untouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
Kirbycollin1

Im sorry Valve was too busy working on HL: EP3 to fix that.
Atleast we hope so.
Kirbycollin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
ShellM591

4: WE'RE GOING TO SUCK IT UP AND MOVE ON, STARTING NOW
ShellM591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
rjt197197

LARGE TEXT MAKES ME STAND OUT
rjt197197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #9
Elate

You've got a typo in your title mate, you put we instead of I.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
nigel5000

Finally someone made a thread like this.

Sadly, Valve might have succumb to the Blade of infinite Money, and now we must brace for them to become "the man".

This was horrible, I don't know if I'll be able to enjoy Portal 2 as much as I was ready to on Friday =\
Old 04-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
Akhet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larspcus2 View Post
Who is we? You and your friend?
The majority of those who bought the Potato Sack, I suspect.

The larger majority of PC fans didn't get suckered, but share the feeling about Valve mishandling this.

The retailers who felt they had to slash prices over the weekend to compete against Steam's pre-release based upon Valve's misleading statements.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #12
leahcim

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by panicmechanic View Post
There are a lot of threads running about making claims and pointing fingers so lets just try and put all our complaints into this one thread and keep it live. I'll try and update.
Right, I'm sure the 9 people that actually did the ARG sat at Valve with a goodie bag playing Portal 2 are in full agreement

Next time take part. All I know is, when I wake up tomorrow, Portal 2 should be ready to play. That's a whole day playing portal 2 instead of sitting waiting for it - can't complain.
leahcim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #13
ThisWasATriumph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellM591 View Post
4: WE'RE GOING TO SUCK IT UP AND MOVE ON, STARTING NOW
Nice.
ThisWasATriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #14
FClef

Realize that you do not speak for everyone.

While I wasn't pleased with how everything was handled, rather than a generic let's wait until Tuesday release Valve did something interesting, and for the most part, fun.

Does it look a little underhanded with the release time being set and the whole "Help get Portal 2 released" ad campaign? Yeah... unless, of course, something very special is going to happen, which it very well may. Let's keep in mind however, while you may place your trust in a company, they still are a business and will do things to get you to open your wallet... no one forced anyone to spend money. And if people in a tight financial situation did spend money, they did it willingly and freely.

So, your opinion is valid, just remember one thing, speak with your wallet next time and maybe you will make an impression.
FClef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #15
Butch522

Speak for yourself. I'm pretty satisfied with what valve did.
Butch522 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2