Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Old 03-09-2014, 04:52 AM   #1
emreovus33

Unhappy Portal 2 FPS drop PLEASE HELP!

Hello

On my portal 2 I've always get 5-20 FPS in-game. but my system must be support this game. This is my system specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core T4500 2.40 Ghz
RAM: 2 GB DDR3
Hard-disk: 320 GB Samsung HM321HI ATA
GPU: Intel 965 Express Chipset Family (358 MB VRAM, Pixel/Vertex Shader 4)
Mainboard: Intel SANTA ROSA (ICH8M)
Old 03-09-2014, 05:09 AM   #2
Xeeber

Quote:
Originally Posted by emreovus33 View Post
but my system must be support this game.

There is where you are wrong.
Your system is just too slow.
Xeeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #3
McMasterGold

Quote:
Originally Posted by emreovus33 View Post
GPU: Intel 965 Express Chipset Family (358 MB VRAM, Pixel/Vertex Shader 4)
That's your problem. Your GPU is below the minimum system requirements.

Portal 2 needs at least the Intel HD Graphics 2000.
McMasterGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
LPChip

Also, 2 GB of ram on windows 7 is really too little. For windows 7 I always recommend at least 4 GB, otherwise any program in the background will significantly slow down your pc. I bet that is why the framerate dropped a lot.

Secondly, the videocard uses shared memory of this 2GB so that makes it even less, not to mention that this really is not a decent 3D graphics card. It will run the game, but barely.

I suggest buying a cheap videocard, can be an ATI HD5450 or better if you are on a desktop pc and can install one (you can get one for approx 18 euro/25 dollar) and increase the RAM from 2 GB to 4 GB or more. Before buying ram, make sure there are slots available or buy 4 GB and replace the ram altogether. Also make sure you buy the right type of ram (DDR3) and if its for a laptop, make sure you get laptop memory.

If you are on a laptop, then upgrading memory will help but given that its the only thing you can really upgrade and it will not help much, you might have to face the fact that you simply can't run portal on this without upgrading the laptop to a newer one that can play games.
LPChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:19 AM   #5
emreovus33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPChip View Post
Also, 2 GB of ram on windows 7 is really too little. For windows 7 I always recommend at least 4 GB, otherwise any program in the background will significantly slow down your pc. I bet that is why the framerate dropped a lot.

Secondly, the videocard uses shared memory of this 2GB so that makes it even less, not to mention that this really is not a decent 3D graphics card. It will run the game, but barely.

I suggest buying a cheap videocard, can be an ATI HD5450 or better if you are on a desktop pc and can install one (you can get one for approx 18 euro/25 dollar) and increase the RAM from 2 GB to 4 GB or more. Before buying ram, make sure there are slots available or buy 4 GB and replace the ram altogether. Also make sure you buy the right type of ram (DDR3) and if its for a laptop, make sure you get laptop memory.

If you are on a laptop, then upgrading memory will help but given that its the only thing you can really upgrade and it will not help much, you might have to face the fact that you simply can't run portal on this without upgrading the laptop to a newer one that can play games.
Thanks, but where can I get the "laptop memory" and how to insert my laptop?
emreovus33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:34 AM   #6
LPChip

You can get it in a hardware pc store. Given that its a laptop, I recommend taking your laptop to the store so they can look into installing the memory and making sure its the right kind of memory.

Do note that you are using a 32 bit version of Windows 7, so even if you'd install more than 4 GB of ram, only 3,5 GB of ram will be used.

I do recommend more ram than 4GB on windows 7 for good performance, but in your case it would mean that you also have to install a 64 bit version of windows 7, which means additional money to acquire this license. That's really not worth it, so only upgrade to a max of 4 GB of memory.

If you're lucky your laptop has 2 slots and only one slot is filled with 2 GB of memory.

Last edited by LPChip: 03-10-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
emreovus33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPChip View Post
You can get it in a hardware pc store. Given that its a laptop, I recommend taking your laptop to the store so they can look into installing the memory and making sure its the right kind of memory.

Do note that you are using a 32 bit version of Windows 7, so even if you'd install more than 4 GB of ram, only 3,5 GB of ram will be used.

I do recommend more ram than 4GB on windows 7 for good performance, but in your case it would mean that you also have to install a 64 bit version of windows 7, which means additional money to acquire this license. That's really not worth it, so only upgrade to a max of 4 GB of memory.

If you're lucky your laptop has 2 slots and only one slot is filled with 2 GB of memory.
Thanks. I want buy 4GB RAM and Windows 7 64-bit. Did you know a website to buy this materials? I think I can insert RAM into my laptop.
emreovus33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:24 PM   #8
LPChip

I don't know from which country you are so it'll be hard for me to help you with this, but I'm sure a google search will get you there if you just search for "memory laptop ddr3" and use your native language as google option. (preferably translate the words memory and laptop first).

If you're from the USA, newegg or amazon might be a choice for you.

Be sure to check that the memory is SO-DIMM DDR3 (laptop memory type DDR3)
Old 03-10-2014, 03:33 PM   #9
Zekiran

I'm gonna guess that you will still want to take your laptop to a proper shop and have a professional do it, because if you don't know what kind you have, nor where to find it, the likelihood of you being talented enough to actually open the rig and insert it properly, and get the right version of windows going with it, is very slim.

Your laptop won't be able to play the game, regardless, unless you have a better chipset and processor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMasterGold View Post
That's your problem. Your GPU is below the minimum system requirements.

Portal 2 needs at least the Intel HD Graphics 2000.
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2