Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 04-19-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
Selenir

Portal 2 freezes - black screen, sound looping

Last night I was able to make it several levels through Portal 2 with only minor graphical lag, and at one point (while looking down at the orange portal in a level with a lot of water - one of the aerial faith plate levels, with the flying garbage) my game went black, the sound started to loop, and the game froze up. I had to pull up the task manager to exit out of this, and restarted the game. As soon as I loaded my saved game, it displayed the loading screen with the lasers on it, and as soon as it finished, the screen went black (though it flashed a lighter gray occasionally), and the sound began to loop again.

I force quit with task manager, and tried AGAIN, this time from a different save. Same problem. Quit, tried verifying game files. Oh, cool! It found an error and corrected it! Alright, now we're finally gonna be able to pl... nevermind. Same problem. Quit again. Restarted Steam. Same problem. Restarted computer. Same problem. Tried starting a new game from the "Cold Boot" starting point. Same problem. Then tried updating my graphics drivers (which were indeed slightly out of date). SAME PROBLEM. Restarted computer AGAIN and verified files AGAIN... same problem. Then, at 3:15 AM with a 8:00 AM class the next morning (in which I now sit, typing this post), I deleted all local files and set it to reinstall Portal 2 (which now sits at about 65% completed), and went to bed.

If this doesn't work, I'm just gonna snap. The game worked perfectly, and was awesome, and then just stopped, for literally no apparent reason.

Has anyone had the same or similar issues?

Does anyone have any information that might help me understand why my system just spontaneously developed an allergic reaction to Portal 2, and perhaps how to fix it?
Old 04-19-2011, 06:04 AM   #2
Selenir

I'd have posted this last night, but apparently this forum only lets you make one thread every four hours.

Because that makes sense. Or something.
Selenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:51 AM   #3
Selenir

Update:

Finished re-installing.

Same crash, same problem.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
FariFlux

Yeah, I'm having this same issue. There's actually a thread about this.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1847560

It's amazingly annoying, luckily, I do not have time to play right now, but it'd be very sad not to be able toplay in my free time.
FariFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
Selenir

Quote:
Originally Posted by FariFlux View Post
Yeah, I'm having this same issue. There's actually a thread about this.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1847560

It's amazingly annoying, luckily, I do not have time to play right now, but it'd be very sad not to be able toplay in my free time.
An existing thread?! Sweet. Checking that out now! Thanks so much!
Old 04-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Radiobuzz

I'm having the exact same problem, I went through a couple of chambers and then I got this error (or lack of an error). Then for some reason the game worked and I got to chapter 2, and now it's on again and I can't play it.

What are your system specs? I think it's a problem with Intel cards.
Radiobuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
Selenir

Windows 7, 64-Bit
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6600 @2.20GHz 2.20GHz
Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Chipset Family

Laptop.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
Radiobuzz

Yup, pretty much the same system specs as mine! Haven't found a fix yet though.
Radiobuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
SlimeCounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenir View Post
Windows 7, 64-Bit
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6600 @2.20GHz 2.20GHz
Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Chipset Family

Laptop.
same specs as me, game ran perfect last night, i try to load game today, i get flickering black screen and stuttering audio...

ran the game in windowed mode, and notice a windows notification that "The display driver has stopped working..."

my drivers are all up to date....plz fix.
SlimeCounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
stapletor

Got this issue a lot last night when playing coop with my friend. A work around that has been resolving the issue is, ctrl+alt+del then open task manager, then just click on the portal 2 tile at the bottom to reopen the window. looping sound and freezing go away(windows 7 64 bit)
stapletor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
Stevoisiak

Unhappy ASDF

I got the same issue! I have an intel integrated graphics card. I play Portal 2 on launch just fine. Go to sleep. Wake up. Try to continue my game. Crash.
Stevoisiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #12
Selenir

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapletor View Post
Got this issue a lot last night when playing coop with my friend. A work around that has been resolving the issue is, ctrl+alt+del then open task manager, then just click on the portal 2 tile at the bottom to reopen the window. looping sound and freezing go away(windows 7 64 bit)
This doesn't work for me (windows 7, 64 bit here too). Can you please describe how to do this in more detail? I want to try the exact same thing you've been doing.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
spleenboks

I have the same issue. Got to play some last night, chose to stop playing, and this morning the problems showed up. I get an error message like "Display Driver has stopped working". I updated my driver and no luck. The most confusing part is that it did work before (I managed to get Wake Up Call), and now it just stops. Sounds like it's a wide-spread issue, so hopefully it will be fixed soon.
spleenboks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #14
Selenir

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleenboks View Post
I have the same issue. Got to play some last night, chose to stop playing, and this morning the problems showed up. I get an error message like "Display Driver has stopped working". I updated my driver and no luck. The most confusing part is that it did work before (I managed to get Wake Up Call), and now it just stops. Sounds like it's a wide-spread issue, so hopefully it will be fixed soon.
I got even farther than that. I was midway through Chapter 2 when it crashed the first time.

Now I can't play at all.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #15
barconcern

Red face

EXACT SAME PROBLEM
Played flawlessly till chapter 4 last night.
Now I can't load ANY game, new, save... anything.
WTF!!!
barconcern is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Tags
p2 bug tracker