Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 04-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #31
Fredvdp

I don't know how to +rep (maybe I'm not qualified because I'm new) but I'll name my firstborn after you instead. (Edit: Oh, nvm, I can in fact +rep you.)

I wonder why Valve doesn't support this as a simple setting. Do they think people might be confused about the whole 'keyboard vs controller' thing?
Fredvdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #32
kingsize

Tried everything cant get the 360 controller to switch.

Never could get it to switch with l4d2 either.
kingsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #33
Radiophed

I've confirmed that this preset file works in game for two xbox 360 controllers.

If you put this file in your portal2/cfg/ folder it will auto-load when the game starts and you will not need to exec a config file. I would credit the user who posted this, but I think he deleted his post.

Also, My original config file should work fine, the problem I posted earlier was due to my impatience and all I needed to do was listen to what the game was asking me to do

I do have one question for anyone out there. I have the game set to open the console when it starts but I would also like it to automatically execute a config file containing instructions for ss_splitmode 2, ss_enable 1, ss_map mp_coop_start. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Update 11:06am PST: So the ping problem is this: Ping works fine but when you ping on controller 2 it moves the player 1 window. Pinging on controller 1 also moves the player 1 window in the same way. I haven't played the game long enough to know how the ping tool is supposed to act but the above seems to be an error. I will leave the config file up and I will update it as we get better versions posted.

Last edited by Radiophed: 04-19-2011 at 12:09 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #34
craigfanman

I have a slightly complicated question regarding split screen and dual monitors. I can run the split screen mode fine, 2 players can play together great, split screen on 1 monitor. However I have 2 monitors, so I thought it would be a good idea to run the game across both (2560x1024), then each player can have their own screen. This almost works, but unfortunately each players screen is the same size as before, they are just put on seperate screens. Does anyone know how I can make the view (FOV?) wider for each player so it fills the screen?

Hope that makes sense, thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #35
|TAC|Dan

Talking

Thanks for posting this, it's fantastic to be able to play locally with friends.
I had one problem though; we played through the tutorial, hub and first set of testing areas fine, then at the end of a map that took place outside of a test chamber we exploded, and got dumped back to the hub with only same tests we'd just completed available again.
Does anyone know a way to get around this issue?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Old 04-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #36
Darth Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiophed View Post
I've confirmed that this preset file works in game for two xbox 360 controllers.

Can anyone else confirm if this works?
Old 04-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #37
Gariscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiophed View Post

If you put this file in your portal2/cfg/ folder it will auto-load when the game starts and you will not need to exec a config file. I would credit the user who posted this, but I think he deleted his post.

Also, My original config file should work fine, the problem I posted earlier was due to my impatience and all I needed to do was listen to what the game was asking me to do

I do have one question for anyone out there. I have the game set to open the console when it starts but I would also like it to automatically execute a config file containing instructions for ss_splitmode 2, ss_enable 1, ss_map mp_coop_start. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Update 11:06am PST: So the ping problem is this: Ping works fine but when you ping on controller 2 it moves the player 1 window. Pinging on controller 1 also moves the player 1 window in the same way. I haven't played the game long enough to know how the ping tool is supposed to act but the above seems to be an error. I will leave the config file up and I will update it as we get better versions posted.
I deleted my post because I thought I'd made a mistake and because I'd realised my file was no different to and also because the reason I'd posted it in the first place was because I'd misread the word ping as taunt and I thought mine might fix your ping problem(it doesn't it has the same problem).

To auto start with those settings create a config file called autoexec.cfg and paste:

Quote:
ss_splitmode 2
ss_enable 1
ss_map mp_coop_start
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Silver View Post
So.... it doesn't work?
It does work(there is a slight problem with the ping tool however.

Last edited by Gariscus: 04-21-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #38
PANDAPOO

Will Split screen coop for PC come in a patch?
PANDAPOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #39
Darth Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gariscus View Post
I deleted my post because the config file fails, it has the ping problem, I hadn't realized it before I posted it. But otherwise I believe it's fine.

So yeah it's basically the same as yours.
So.... it doesn't work?
Old 04-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #40
Fisher122

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigfanman View Post
I have a slightly complicated question regarding split screen and dual monitors. I can run the split screen mode fine, 2 players can play together great, split screen on 1 monitor. However I have 2 monitors, so I thought it would be a good idea to run the game across both (2560x1024), then each player can have their own screen. This almost works, but unfortunately each players screen is the same size as before, they are just put on seperate screens. Does anyone know how I can make the view (FOV?) wider for each player so it fills the screen?

Hope that makes sense, thanks in advance.
C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Portal 2\portal2\splitscreen_config.txt

Have a play around with that file.

Last edited by Fisher122: 04-20-2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: splitscreen_config has extension txt not cfg
Fisher122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #41
Fredvdp

Is it possible to save your progress in a splitscreen game? How does it work in online multiplayer?
Fredvdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #42
Gariscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Silver View Post
So.... it doesn't work?
I've edited my post.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #43
Cooleh

Does anyone know how you would do this for different controllers? I have a normal computer gamepad and managed to get the split-screen working but the controls are all wrong, and unplugging/plugging in again still left the keyboard and controller both on the same player

Last edited by Cooleh: 04-19-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Cooleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #44
craigfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher122 View Post
C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Portal 2\portal2\splitscreen_config.cfg

Have a play around with that file.
Cool thanks a lot buddy, works perfectly now

Last edited by craigfanman: 04-19-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #45
Radiophed

"normal computer gamepad" is too generic. Post your brand and model number. There are sites that have basic configurations for most controllers.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2