Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 04-19-2011, 03:32 AM   #1
Secret Cobraz

Red face Portal 2 "No STEAM" Button Can't Play! Have the Same Problem?

So I have spent over 3 hours on this, I bought my Copy of Portal 2 at GameStop at Midnight installed it through Steam with my Disc without any problems. When I boot up the game through Steam it loads up just fine but then there are only 2 buttons to click; the first a button that says "NO STEAM" and doesn't do anything. Then the second which says "QUIT" which well, quits the game.

I have tried everything from compatibility mode to run as admin, I also un-installed my DVD copy (that installed in about 10 min or less) and waited 3 hours to download it through Steam but still the same. I have no idea what is going on or what the problem may be. I am running Portal 2 directly through the Steam launcher as well.

The Game loads up fine but then denies me the ability to play it. There is a screenshot below of my view. If anyone knows what is happening or can help in any way please post here, I will continue to bump this thread so I don't continue to have a $60 Paper-Weight. I am running Win 7 Ult

EDIT: for some reason The forum changes the URL of the pic so just piece it together, ugh, this is not my week.

img823.imageshack.us/img823/7706/portal2 no steam.jpg

Last edited by Secret Cobraz: 04-19-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:36 AM   #2
mrekim

Quit steam and delete clientregistry.blob
after that : restart steam.
mrekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:43 AM   #3
Secret Cobraz

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrekim View Post
Quit steam and delete clientregistry.blob
after that : restart steam.
If it's really that easy of a fix I think I'm going to Throw my keyboard at my wall. Where is this located again? Still looking under \Steam\steamapps\common\portal 2
Secret Cobraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:44 AM   #4
Pixit

It's in the main Steam folder.
Pixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:57 AM   #5
Secret Cobraz

Well I can't play it through Steam without that file coming back but still nothing, same screen and problem, will try re-installing. I played it directly through it's folder after I re-launched steam and had the same problem again.

My Keyboard is safe for now.

Last edited by Secret Cobraz: 04-19-2011 at 04:15 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:49 AM   #6
koen_tjuh

Right, let me see.

It's logical that ClientRegistry.blob gets back, it's supposed to. The reason that you remove it, is because it might be corrupted. Steam downloads a fresh new file, which solves the problem some times.

Try deleting ClientRegistry.blob AND AppUpdateStats.blob. They will be downloaded again (steam updates on startup, supposedly). If that doesn't work:

did you try to verify the integrity of the game cache?

If not, Right Click Portal 2 in the Steam Library > Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

Let it run (beware, you can't do anything else with steam in the meantime, like responding in chat), and let it finish. If it downloads files your problem might be fixed. If it says all your files are 100% validated, I'm out of advice (because it means that there are no files missing, so it must be something else).

Give it a try (Y)
Old 04-19-2011, 04:51 AM   #7
Secret Cobraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shampooz View Post
Bumping for you.
Appreciated, this is ridiculous. FML

As a side note, My Brother bought the PS3 version, works just fine.

Valve, don't make me go back to consoles, you were the one's that got me into PC gaming in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koen_tjuh View Post
Right, let me see.

It's logical that ClientRegistry.blob gets back, it's supposed to. The reason that you remove it, is because it might be corrupted. Steam downloads a fresh new file, which solves the problem some times.

Try deleting ClientRegistry.blob AND AppUpdateStats.blob. They will be downloaded again (steam updates on startup, supposedly). If that doesn't work:

did you try to verify the integrity of the game cache?

If not, Right Click Portal 2 in the Steam Library > Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

Let it run (beware, you can't do anything else with steam in the meantime, like responding in chat), and let it finish. If it downloads files your problem might be fixed. If it says all your files are 100% validated, I'm out of advice (because it means that there are no files missing, so it must be something else).

Give it a try (Y)
Tried all of that, nothing, thanks for the input though.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:54 AM   #8
StanGe

how about to reinstall the game?
StanGe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:55 AM   #9
koen_tjuh

Is in-game steam activated?
Old 04-19-2011, 05:10 AM   #10
Secret Cobraz

Quote:
Is in-game steam activated?
Not In-Game as I activated it with my code when I installed the game with my DVD. When I boot up the game there are only the 2 buttons, the "NO STEAM" as Pictured does nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGe View Post
how about to reinstall the game?
I have done this at least 3 times with the DVD and waited 3 hours for Steam to download it instead of installing from the DVD. Makes no difference as far as I can tell.

Also thanks for everyone's support, this is driving me nutz.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:13 AM   #11
basti51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Cobraz View Post
Not In-Game as I activated it with my code when I installed the game with my DVD. When I boot up the game there are only the 2 buttons, the "NO STEAM" as Pictured does nothing.

I have done this at least 3 times with the DVD and waited 3 hours for Steam to download it instead of installing from the DVD. Makes no difference as far as I can tell.

Also thanks for everyone's support, this is driving me nutz.

Do it the Hard way.

Save all your savegames/configs/.gcf's and completely uninstall Steam.

Then Install again and put your files back in.

I know these No-Steam Issues just from Pirates tbh.

EDIT: Without reading too much from it you might want to look here http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1368370

Last edited by basti51: 04-19-2011 at 05:16 AM.
basti51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:24 AM   #12
Yugius

BUMP!

Got the same problem, with the german version (preordered with steam)
all mentioned fixes didn't help ...

very disappointed
Old 04-19-2011, 05:25 AM   #13
koen_tjuh

The fact that In-Game Steam might not be activated could be the problem. It has been like that with CoD: Modern Warfare 2 too, you had to have in-game steam online otherwise you couldn't play SP.

This might be the cause now too. It could say "no steam" because in-game steam is not activated. Try pressing Shift + Tab (the default buttons)when you are in the menu and see if the in-game overlay pops up. If not, it's probably that.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:35 AM   #14
Yugius

Quote:
Try pressing Shift + Tab (the default buttons)when you are in the menu and see if the in-game overlay pops up. If not, it's probably that.
Nope, community works as normal
Old 04-19-2011, 05:39 AM   #15
mrekim

Do you start Portal 2 from steam or are you opening the .exe file?
mrekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2