Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Old 04-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
HeroicHero

[SPOILERS] Two things I didn't get about the plot thus far.

Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but I was wondering if anyone could point out these two things I didn't quite get.

1. Why did Wheatley want to escape, and why did he help you escape? I can't remember anything mentioned about this.

2. What caused the facility to start self-destructing?

Thanks in advance, I miss details like this so easily.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
ChaosEsper

Hmmm, not sure exactly why wheatley wanted to escape. In another thread someone says that in the boss dialogue he claims to have tried this takeover scheme 5 times and failed, so it's possible that he wasn't trying to escape at all.

Which part of the self-destructing are you talking about? At the beginning, the facility has gone into disrepair due to glados being shut down, and there not being enough backup power.
After wheatley takes over I believe that the facility starts breaking down due to his incompetence, and finally during the battle the self-destruct activates as a safety mechanism since the computer was no longer able to calculate how long until the reactor overloaded.
ChaosEsper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
HeroicHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosEsper View Post
Hmmm, not sure exactly why wheatley wanted to escape. In another thread someone says that in the boss dialogue he claims to have tried this takeover scheme 5 times and failed, so it's possible that he wasn't trying to escape at all.
Ah, interesting. Not sure if that explanation satisfies me, though. He seemed to be more bent on getting away from GlaDOS than anything, and then there's always the question of why he brought you with him... Hmm.

Quote:
Which part of the self-destructing are you talking about? At the beginning, the facility has gone into disrepair due to glados being shut down, and there not being enough backup power.
After wheatley takes over I believe that the facility starts breaking down due to his incompetence, and finally during the battle the self-destruct activates as a safety mechanism since the computer was no longer able to calculate how long until the reactor overloaded.
The part towards end, when you have GLaDOS in Potato form. She says something about blowing up, and then when you meet Wheatley in the chamber with the cube-turrets the facility announces its self-destruction. That's the one I was talking about, but I think you just answered that, so thanks!

Have some rep.
HeroicHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
ChaosEsper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicHero View Post
Ah, interesting. Not sure if that explanation satisfies me, though. He seemed to be more bent on getting away from GlaDOS than anything, and then there's always the question of why he brought you with him... Hmm.
Assuming that he does want to take over the facility, which seems a stretch to me as I feel like he wouldn't have been able to deceive you that long since he's programmed for incompetence, he probably brought you along cause you "have a finger" lol. For the core swap to take place you need a mediator in case of stalemate to push the button, and I imagine he knew that glados wouldn't want to swap w/ him.
ChaosEsper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
HeroicHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosEsper View Post
Assuming that he does want to take over the facility, which seems a stretch to me as I feel like he wouldn't have been able to deceive you that long since he's programmed for incompetence, he probably brought you along cause you "have a finger" lol. For the core swap to take place you need a mediator in case of stalemate to push the button, and I imagine he knew that glados wouldn't want to swap w/ him.
Hmm, yeah, that works. But still, I agree. Wheatley plotting to take-over is rather... out there to me.
HeroicHero is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2