Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > Ubisoft

Old 04-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
Papa Midnight

Thumbs down The Straw That Broke The Camel's Back: Never Buying Another Ubisoft Title

I'm not usually one to take to the forums and create one of these topics, but for Ubisoft, I'm going to make an exception. I figured I should've seen this coming after the clusterbomb that was Rainbow Six Vegas 2, but I decided to give Ubisoft one more chance. However, chances have come and chances have gone. I was stupid enough to buy the Splinter Cell pack this past weekend, and now I'm done with Ubisoft and will never purchase another Ubisoft title again.

I've played more Ubisoft titles than I'd like to count and every release, their quality just seems to get poorer and poorer (with very few exceptions).

I'll start with generic online issues which players of the following titles should understand and be able to relate to:

- Far Cry 2
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2

Featuring:
- Random Login server timeouts / disconnections at any point in time
- Failure for servers to properly register with the master server
- PunkBuster actually causing servers to become unconnectable randomly
- Absolutely useless anti-cheat (see: PunkBuster)

Next I'll move onto games which have been absolutely nothing short of broken console ports:

- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (The PS3 and 360 files are still in the directory. One could've at least shown some initiative to actually remove cruft).
- Assassin's Creed
- Assassin's Creed 2
- Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (this and 2 are my favorites considering we were made to wait to play these games due to so-called "piracy" concerns and got poor-performing console ports)
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent (Broken in more ways, but we'll get there momentarily)
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction (I'm going to have fun with this one too... not).
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2

Games where the DRM causes more problems than it actually solves:
- Silent Hunter 5 (The first of the series of games from Ubisoft with the dial-home / connection must ALWAYS be on DRM which was cracked in less than a day.)
- Assassin's Creed 2
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction
- Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

And the only two games for the PC from Ubisoft released the past 3 years which have actually just simply, worked. They may not have been popular, they may not have been strongly supported, but they did the most important thing from launch date and that is WORK:
- Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.
- Tom Clancy's EndWar

Ironically, neither of these titles contained DRM. However, it was pretty clear Ubisoft had no intention of supporting these titles in anyway whatsoever. H.A.W.X. 2's popularity should be more than evidence of that (I'm curious to the numbers of how many copies of this game were actually sold).

Now the point of this post is that the Splinter Cell pack which was part of the Steam weekend deal this past weekend (for the week of April 11, 2011) is the straw that broke the camel's back and what triggered me to compose this diatribe on why I'll never purchase a Ubisoft game again. The reason is tri-fold:
1) Misinformed as a consumer
2) Provided a broken, non-working product
3) History of poor performance by the company

The first statement comes from the hypothetical possibility of being from the view of the average consumer who might not be the kind of individual such as ourselves who will go and search for product information or personal reactions on gaming forums. At no point was I informed that the title "Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction" came packaged with DRM. Neither on Steam's sale page (as an added note, the Steam Sale came with the Deluxe edition which is why that edition is linked. However, the same issue befalls the regular edition), nor upon installation. I was never offered the opportunity to agree to such. So what if I agree or disagree to the EULA? Steam's EULA specifically states "No refunds except for cancellations during the pre-order period". Hence, declining or accepting the EULA is rendered moot - seems like a conflict of interest to me but that's another argument entirely. Secondly, the game Double Agent was advertised as featuring multiplayer but it seems quite clear and evident that it does not work; therefore, I have been misinformed of a products status and viability not once but twice in the same purchase period.

On the second point: I refer once again to "Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent" which was advertised as supporting multiplayer. It's broken. Thereby which, the game is incomplete and not as advertised. Even the singleplayer game is broken and riddled with bugs and errors. Chances of it being fixed? This is Ubisoft we're discussing. This is the same company which "fixed" Rainbow Six Vegas 2 by using a scene warez group's executable.
"Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction" is no different. The game's executable working is hit or miss at best, The chances of getting the game to load properly to or past the main menu without crashing are Slim and None (and Slim's on vacation), and if by some chance you get there smoothly, gameplay is riddled with bugs. I won't even go to the pitiful excuse for multiplayer yet (when it works).

The third point extends from the above: If there was a chance in hell the problems above would be fixed, I wouldn't even be writing this composition. But there isn't, and we all know it. We all have had our experiences with Ubisoft titles and know how issue-ridden they are. We would be kidding ourselves to think that Ubisoft has any intent to repair these issues or retract their DRM for the future. I wouldn't even have a problem with the DRM if it actually worked to prevent piracy (BWAHAHAHAHAHA!) or didn't cause a bigger headache for consumers than it does to pirates who just simply remove it. Ubisoft has been showing that it has no favor for the PC and simply wishes to devote most of its resources to console development and support while leaving the remainder of resources to PC porting of console titles months after their release in inferior qualities whereafter much of the popularity has gone down (especially 6 months into the product lifecycle in the case of Assassin's Creed), DRM development, and "support". Worse yet is that Ubisoft has been showing this trend for the past few years now.

It is quite clear that PC gamers have become second class citizens to the (near-perfect DRM model) console gamers. It is doubtful Ubisoft will retract itself from this product development and sales model, and therefore I have chosen that I will simply never purchase a Ubisoft title again. I will not patron a company which clearly has no interest in providing me, the consumer, with a working hassle-free product - especially when pirates crack these products and deal with less of a hassle than I do. It's that simple. No more Ubisoft titles for me. Period. Now it's unlikely that, despite the above and despite being provided with products that don't even operate, that Steam will provide me with a refund due to their business model. I'll put in the request anyway with Steam support as the absolute worse that can happen is they say no. But in the more than likely event that they do, I'll just eat the $25 loss and take it as a life lesson: Don't patron Ubisoft.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
crunchyfrog555

Banned
I was drawn here from a link in another thread.

Can I firstly ask, are you in the UK at all? If so, I might be able to help you with any refunds/legalities you have, as they have seem to have breached the Sale of Goods Act on at least a couple of points there.

If not, I still might be able to guide, but such a guide would be guesswork (due to a lack of knowledge of the particular legal system).
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
alaskanassassin

I agree with OP
alaskanassassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > Ubisoft