Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Old 04-20-2011, 01:31 AM   #1
Ovno

Unhappy [SPOILERS] Jar Jar Wheatley

Does anyone else hate Wheatley with a passion?

I mean his lines are ok-ish, though the whole argument with the nanite supervisor couldn't have been worse, "uuuhhh discrimination against large nanites...." give me a break.

But worse than all that is Stephen Merchant's voice acting, he's not playing a character, he's playing himself with the exact same mannerisms as he has in the office and on him and Gervais's various other shows.

Now I don't know about the rest of you but I don't want to be shepherded around portal 2 by well known celebrity comedian, in fact I couldn't think of anything more immersion breaking...

I would have thought a good computerised voice, like all the other machines have (note I haven't completed it yet so if there are other machines with human voices please don't tell me) would have been much more in keeping with the setting.

Of course all of this is ignoring Merchant's stupid nose breathing snort after every 'joke' he makes its almost as if he needs to put it there so people realise that it was supposed to be funny.

So all things considered I believe that Wheatley is the Jar Jar Binks of portal 2

Its so bad I even tried to go back to Glados when I had the chance, but all she did was kill me with neurotoxin :'( why glados why 60 years of testing would have been so much better than 5 minutes with Jar Jar Wheatley...

And because of that I intend to mod the sound files to make him sound like a computer like he should, I'll only be doing it with a few simple filter's no re-recording or anything.

Either that or I might beg valve to release the original sound files for him because that place-holder was soooo much better than merchant IMO.

So if I make the mod who would be interested?

And hands up everyone who wishes they'd at least used an unknown rather than the unfunny comedian of the moment?

Last edited by Ovno: 04-20-2011 at 01:35 AM.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:33 AM   #2
Aelexe

I personally thought he was great.
Aelexe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:35 AM   #3
AngryJens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelexe View Post
This

10char
AngryJens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:35 AM   #4
Type A

Quote:
QFT. Wheatley might actually make my personal list of my top ten favorite video game characters EVER.
Type A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:36 AM   #5
henry757

Don't you ever, EVER put wheatley on the same level as jar jar binks.

Ever.

the ONLY thing I can come up with, in the form of criticism, was that he wasn't sinister enough later on in the game.

but even then, he was great
Old 04-20-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
Shakeas

Quote:
Spoiler:
Dis, until he created those creepy robot-cubes

Last edited by Zefar: 04-20-2011 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Please use spoiler tags
Shakeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:38 AM   #7
Aelexe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeas View Post
Spoiler:
Dis, until he created those creepy robot-cubes
Might wanna spoiler that, it sort of implies something the OP may not know yet.
Aelexe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:40 AM   #8
Snappyguy

He is one of my favorite characters in a long time for any game and will continue to be. I still loved him through the whole game too. Maybe it's just my love for the accent (I'm not british )
Snappyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:40 AM   #9
cooksta

Yes and no.

From the perspective of just Portal 2, he fit in quite well, the anti-GlaDOS if you will.

From the perspective of both ricky's previous works and Portal 2 I can see where your coming from.

I was having more of a hard time hearing J.K. Simmons not as his character in Oz and then getting mental pictures from him forcing me to shoot up randomly bad drugs, then me and then severely beating me with a metal pole.
cooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:41 AM   #10
NonMagical

I loved him.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:44 AM   #11
slimd1995

I love Wheatley.

Spoiler:
I feel bad for what I did to him.
slimd1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:44 AM   #12
LiaCroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovno View Post

So all things considered I believe that Wheatley is the Jar Jar Binks of portal 2
Isn't that just great?
LiaCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:56 AM   #13
Ovno

Fair enough it seems most people don't have my issue with him.

On the accent front, I'm English myself so I hear his voice as a Bristol accent not an English one this may be part of my issue with him.

That and I hate everything he and Gevais have every made...

But I have tried to ignore him it and tried to just consider him a character but I can't help but play though every one of his scenes with gritted teeth.

Its such a pity because everything else about the game is brilliant and I really want to love it but he's really spoiling it for me.

On a side note, any tips on modding the sound files and possible filters to use in audacity to create a more synthesised sounding voice?

Ahh yes also, why oh why can't I let go of him (over a large drop) once I'm carrying him, even if it then made me reload at least I could take my frustrations out on him occasionally that way.

Last edited by Ovno: 04-20-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:00 AM   #14
Pineapple_Soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovno View Post
On a side note, any tips on modding the sound files and possible filters to use in audacity to create a more synthesised sounding voice?
I doubt that anybody else is going to use it because you seem to be the only person on the forums (and most likely in existence) that doesn't enjoy Wheatley's funny jokes and personality.

Just so you know...
Pineapple_Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:01 AM   #15
AustinZ

Yeah, I think a lot of us don't really have the cultural context that would allow us to appreciate why you didn't like the character. Kind of like how someone who didn't speak English who came to America and listened to some standard pop radio station one or two times might not immediately understand why everyone thought Rebecca Black's 'Friday' was such a terrible song.
AustinZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2