Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Old 04-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
UnlikelyHero

Why portal 2 is easy (for some)

rather then just say that portal 2 was easy I'm going to explain some reason why it seemed to easy to me (and likely many others)

also this will be dealing with the single player as co-op has a lot more variance due to requiring a partner

1. it's to hard to die, while not surprising for the early chambers it makes the later chambers more disappointing as most chambers don't even have a way for you to die, and for those that do have a way to die you almost have to do it on purpose, the > the risk the > the reward

2. many of the maps feel to straight forward, games like this tend to have a trend that if something is there, it's there for a reason, this makes it easy to figure out what to do as often there are only a few things you even can do (ex. if there is a single white spot on a wall odds are you are going to need a portal there)

3. lack of "variables", what I mean by variables is the different pieces in a puzzle, as others have stated valve added a lot of really cool mechanics such as the excursion field, gels, lasers, etc. but we never get to use very many of them together, an ex. of what more complexity would look like is the part in one of the portal 2 trailers where they had to use an excursion field to hold up a laser cube onto a button while it also had to refract a laser into it's receptacle

I know some of you don't want harder chambers, and that's fine, but those of us who do should get something fun too, and until that get's put in a lot of us are gonna feel that portal 2 isn't that fun.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
ThisLegend

I don't care for difficult single player modes, but would like to see something grander and more challenging in the form of Advanced/Challenge maps.
ThisLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Chrysus

Another thing is that the checkpoints are very 'overused', and thus not much of a consequence for dying in the first place.

Last edited by Chrysus: 04-20-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Chrysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
Niar

Quote:
an ex. of what more complexity would look like is the part in one of the portal 2 trailers where they had to use an excursion field to hold up a laser cube onto a button while it also had to refract a laser into it's receptacle
This level you speak of, is actually in the game.
Niar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
blanked

Would be nice if Valve releases challenge modes for each of the test chambers similar to Portal. But I'm sure the community maps will offer all sorts of challenging chambers.

Edit: Sorry Legend, didn't read your post. Yes, challenge maps.
blanked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
Morax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLegend View Post
I don't care for difficult single player modes, but would like to see something grander and more challenging in the form of Advanced/Challenge maps.
This. I hope Valve will implement bonus advanced maps.
Morax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
UnlikelyHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niar View Post
This level you speak of, is actually in the game.
true, but they took out the laser part of it. and even combo parts like that are rare and almost never in the same chamber
UnlikelyHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
ag_the_king

My main complaint is that there weren't many moments of fast paced portal placements(say that three times fast!) and thinking. There were quite a few of them in the first game and it was probably one of my favorite parts.

I'm guessing the more complicated puzzles with more choices(Paint, elevator rays, lasers and so on) would make it harder to do the more complicated portal placement actions.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #9
dougfrippon

I agree with the OP.. I just went trough Portal 2.. and the longest I got stuck is 5min or so in like 2 rooms.

In portal 1 I got stuck way more often and longer. Alsi in the Portal 1 flash game pack.. I got stuck once at a point where I had to go in a walktrough video.

So portal 2 was unchallenging, If I were a video game reviewer it'd loose at least 1 point out of 10 just for that.. still a well rounded game otherwise tough, just disapointing
dougfrippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:03 AM   #10
Optics233

My biggest problem was that the game was too straight forward.

There needed to be multiple solutions for each puzzle, and you needed to be able to go in different paths. Just walking straight constantly in the "non puzzle rooms" was fairly disappointing. A more open world that had multiple paths would have made using the portal gun a lot more fun.

As it stood now I didn't feel like I was "thinking with portals" I felt more like I was just going where the developers pointed with a laser pointer.
Optics233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #11
skinlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougfrippon View Post
I agree with the OP.. I just went trough Portal 2.. and the longest I got stuck is 5min or so in like 2 rooms.

In portal 1 I got stuck way more often and longer. Alsi in the Portal 1 flash game pack.. I got stuck once at a point where I had to go in a walktrough video.

So portal 2 was unchallenging, If I were a video game reviewer it'd loose at least 1 point out of 10 just for that.. still a well rounded game otherwise tough, just disapointing
Why does a difficult game = good game?

Its a good thing you aren't a reviewer, reviews are for the average people, not people on this forum.
skinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #12
Zombie Hugger

We also need to keep in mind that for those of you that already played the first, you have much more experience and know what to do in most to all situations rather than those that haven't played the first. Although, I do spend at least 15-30 minutes on each most of the damn parts past chapter 4. It even took me about 40 minutes to solve a chamber on co-op... The dumb part is the answer was as simple as diving through a portal at the same time as your partner.
Spoiler:
3-8
. Yeah I felt dumb after that, lol.

Last edited by Zombie Hugger: 04-22-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Zombie Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #13
DipsetChristmas

no the reason its easy is because after you beat any puzzle once, you remember how to beat it and its not challenging anymore. its called memory so its not the game its you.
DipsetChristmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #14
cooksta

Everyone keeps saying they (Valve) dumbed it down.

I actually think Valve just ran out of steam and decided to make it simplistically easy.

EDIT: Unintended pun, honest to god didn't even notice that one.
cooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #15
Monochrom

Banned
Sorry, but I finished it with Dev Commentary yesterday and it seems that Valve uses Idiots as Game Testers. I remember a point in, I believe Chapter 2, we were testing with GlaDOS and a Commentary pointed out that the Testers were too stupid to grasp the Idea of Emacipation Grids.

I too think the Game is a little too straight forward at times and when it isn't it's mostly only because of the sheer Size of a given Area. I never really had any Problems with the Test Chambers, I had more Problems getting to another Area in old Aperture because I had to look for the path.
Monochrom is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2