Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Old 04-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
jou13

Portal 2 - PC and PS3 Copy

Rather confused on how this works. I've heard different things on the matter.

If my friend gets the PS3 version of Portal 2 and gives me the PC code inside, can I use it on my Steam account and we would both be able to play? I know that Portal 2 needs to be activated on Steam on the PS3 under the same account as the PC, so would that mean we just can't play at the same time? I don't want to take the PC code and for him not be able to play.

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
Nekomancer

No. That doesn't work that way. The code only works on the Steam account that is linked to the PS3 account. If you two want to play together, play local Co-Op on PS3 or buy a second copy.
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
jou13

We don't care if we don't play with eachother. We just want to play Portal 2 with no issue and simultaneously.
jou13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
DNASpeculation

No, you wont be able to play portal 2 without issues.
The copy you get from the ps3 has the ability to link tto your Steam account, its not an individual second copy for the PC.
What does this mean? It means you need to buy a copy for yourself if you want to play.
Even if somehow you got the copy for the PC, you wouldn't be able to play at the same time. if one is playing in the ps3, the PC version ceases to function.

I think we are done here.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
jou13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNASpeculation View Post
No, you wont be able to play portal 2 without issues.
The copy you get from the ps3 has the ability to link tto your Steam account, its not an individual second copy for the PC.
What does this mean? It means you need to buy a copy for yourself if you want to play.
Even if somehow you got the copy for the PC, you wouldn't be able to play at the same time. if one is playing in the ps3, the PC version ceases to function.

I think we are done here.
Ok. That's what I thought. Can't be logged into the same account in two different places(PC and PS3).

He would need to be on the PS3 when I'm not on the PC, and vice versa, correct?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
Author X

From what I've read, as long as you link a different PSN account than your friend's, then it doesn't matter if you're online at the same time. Just link some PSN account (if you don't have one for yourself, make one on his PS3) to your personal Steam account, then put in the code and you're gold.

Of course, I can't test this for myself, since I got too clever for myself and bought the PS3 version even though I have a PS3. I don't even want to sell it, I figured it was two games for the price of one, and now I can't even play it XD
Author X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Microshocky

Banned
If he has a PSN account, just let him use that on your copy of Portal 2 to link his Steam account. Then you will have no issues.
Microshocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:16 AM   #8
jou13

I found out a way to get this to work, you guys were right. Here's what you need to do:

1. Two PSN accounts.

2. Two Steam accounts

3. From the PS3, while running Portal 2, link PSN account #1 and Steam account #1. Then log out of both.

4. From the PS3, while running Portal 2, link PSN account #2 with Steam account #2.

5. From the PC, go into Steam and activate the voucher code included with the PS3 version of Portal 2. For me, this is Steam account #1.

As long as my PS3 is logged into PSN account #2(which is linked to Steam #2), a player on the PS3 can play Portal 2 in coop with me on the PC.(Steam #1)
Old 04-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #9
momar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jou13 View Post
I found out a way to get this to work, you guys were right. Here's what you need to do:

1. Two PSN accounts.

2. Two Steam accounts

3. From the PS3, while running Portal 2, link PSN account #1 and Steam account #1. Then log out of both.

4. From the PS3, while running Portal 2, link PSN account #2 with Steam account #2.

5. From the PC, go into Steam and activate the voucher code included with the PS3 version of Portal 2. For me, this is Steam account #1.

As long as my PS3 is logged into PSN account #2(which is linked to Steam #2), a player on the PS3 can play Portal 2 in coop with me on the PC.(Steam #1)
Thanks for the step-by-step!
momar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #10
mewne

?

how safe is to do this?
i'm planning to buy the game but i got no money;
otherwise a friend w/ ps3 is planning to get it but he doesn't have a pc capable of pulling it, so, if he makes 2 psn's and links one to pc so i can use it.. will the pc version behave correctly all the time?
Old 04-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #11
etienneb29

Is Portal 2 not tied to a single PSN account, like a Steam game is tied to a single Steam account?
etienneb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #12
MeStinkBAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewne View Post
how safe is to do this?
i'm planning to buy the game but i got no money;
otherwise a friend w/ ps3 is planning to get it but he doesn't have a pc capable of pulling it, so, if he makes 2 psn's and links one to pc so i can use it.. will the pc version behave correctly all the time?
Umm... why doesn't your friend buy it and invite you over and play splitscreen? If you "got no money" I seriously recommend this solution (assuming they don't charge for gas cuz if they do then you are completely screwed).
MeStinkBAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #13
yami_fiesta

Quote:
Using this method, were you able to make the PS3 version run independent of the PC version? i.e. you could play single player at the same time as each other, or is playing co-op with each other the only function of the PC copy.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #14
PizzaSHARK!

Quote:
And people wonder why developers keep making more and more invasive anti-piracy measures.

What the is wrong with just going out and buying the ♥[F"]♥ game if you want to play it so badly?
PizzaSHARK! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:55 AM   #15
OneManTagTeam

Quote:

1. Two PSN accounts.

2. Two Steam accounts

Can anyone else confirm this method works?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2