Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Old 04-21-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
mAd-

Cool Potential Co-op extra modes.

Capture the cake.

We have big chamber, with turrets, lasers etc. In both bases, the half-cakes are sleeping. (yeah with zZZzzZZ flowing above them). P-body and Atlas try to avoid the turrets and capture the(half) cake and return it to their(half) cake. And when the cake is together, other player will explode and the map will new round will begin.

Players: 2-4
Turrets: Yes.
Stuff: Yes.
GLados: No.
CAKE?: YES.

Portal Run.

A competitive coop mode for speed runs. Are challenging or fast. There is Unbreakable glass-wall between these 100% same chambers. They are only mirror pictures (you know, H|H is mirrored but H|G isn't, you see. /fail)

When P-body or Atlas hit the red button after exit, both players will freeze and both will see from camera how the loser dies, explodes, is killed by turrets, potatoes. Whatever.

Good:
- Chambers can be challenging, funny or fast-paced
Bad:
- After many plays, chamber might not be funny.

Players: 2.
Turrets: Yes
Glados: Maybe the announcer (Or Cave johnson)
Stuff: Yes.
Cake: Not, it is a lie.

Trying to create more co-op modes that can be funny. After reading this and replying to this thread, you can go play deathmatch in portal.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1852356

Have fun and please share your Ideas.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
oboewan42

Quote:
Capture the cake
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY
oboewan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:45 AM   #3
Die_Angel

I would be interested by a more than 2 players time trial mode where you play humans (chell and others?)

The idea would be of a more "social" approach to the classic time trial highscore where multiple players can join and comment on eachother's performance, and see better players actually perform live and give eachother tips, my ideal format would be a center hub that join 4 to 8 different test chambers with observation areas in a single map, only one player could occupy a test chamber at any time.

this mode obviously open valve to more itemshop player customization ^_^
Die_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:49 AM   #4
mAd-

When Sdk comes out, there won't perhaps be any limitation to players.
mAd- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:54 AM   #5
L337Pf2

Co-op competitive run. (with new maps from the community so no one can remember-or maybe they can?) with stats on how many times a certain map has been played,wins, death, fastest time, leaderboards, etc

2v2.

No glass, only a small % indicator of how far your enemy is, or maybe a dot on a radar.
L337Pf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:04 AM   #6
mAd-

Quote:
Originally Posted by L337Pf2 View Post
Co-op competitive run. (with new maps from the community so no one can remember-or maybe they can?) with stats on how many times a certain map has been played,wins, death, fastest time, leaderboards, etc

2v2.

No glass, only a small % indicator of how far your enemy is, or maybe a dot on a radar.
Indicator is problemn because in chamber it's kinda hard to indicate how far you are.

A dot on a radar really doesn't tell anything about your enemy is doing.

And yes, if there is a glass wall, you can spy how to other solves the puzzle which can lead that you copy him and solve last part of the puzzle faster, or something. But if you try to watch your enemy is doing, it's maybe too late do it youself.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:07 AM   #7
L337Pf2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAd- View Post
Indicator is problemn because in chamber it's kinda hard to indicate how far you are.

A dot on a radar really doesn't tell anything about your enemy is doing.

And yes, if there is a glass wall, you can spy how to other solves the puzzle which can lead that you copy him and solve last part of the puzzle faster, or something. But if you try to watch your enemy is doing, it's maybe too late do it youself.
You could do an indicator based on certain important objects or buttons being pressed, or progress/distance made (with no retractions), so assume one partner gets into the final area, that would be 50%+wherever the other partner is (let's say 30%), but they have a general idea how to get there with the second partner, making the other team rush to finish.

Dots on a map function in a similar manner, with an outlined exit and if you see a dot on the ending you know you would want to finish faster.

The only real place I would like the glass would be near the exit, or maybe just have both groups aim towards the same exit, so once you see them, you can sabotage your enemies into pitfalls (effectively winning because you pressed a button that stops their respawn)
Old 04-21-2011, 01:11 AM   #8
mAd-

So, your suggestion and ideas are for multi-staged puzzles? Corret me if i'm wrong.

I think this should be done manually from Hammer. (progress on puzzle)
Old 04-21-2011, 01:12 AM   #9
L337Pf2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAd- View Post
So, your suggestion and ideas are for multi-staged puzzles? Corret me if i'm wrong.

I think this should be done manually from Hammer. (progress on puzzle)
Sure, anything is possible, with SCIENCE!
Old 04-21-2011, 01:16 AM   #10
mAd-

Quote:
Originally Posted by L337Pf2 View Post
Sure, anything is possible, with SCIENCE!
For Science.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2