Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mass Effect series

Old 04-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
Weebles

Game won't play after Steam download

So I decided to try out both Mass Effect and downloading games through Steam instead of buying disc copies. So 20$ and over a gig later I have Mass Effect downloaded and installed, but when I hit play, the loading screen comes up (the graphic in the center of the monitor) and then the screen goes black after a few moments... and just freezes there. I have to power off and power on my computer again at that point because even ctrl alt del doesn't work.

Any ideas how to fix this? I'd like to get in on this Mass Effect love people have been raving about.

For the record, my system handles Fallout:New Vegas just fine with no problems, so I don't think it's that my computer is too old or anything to run Mass Effect- it came out what, two and a half years before New Vegas?

Any help would be appreciated. I know it suggests uninstalling, redownloading, and reinstalling, but I'd rather have some other ideas first.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
Weebles

Well, I'm running

Windows XP with Service Pack 3
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+
2.61 GHz,
3.50GB of RAM
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS

according to what comes up when I select properties... I'm really not much of a computer guy, which is why this flummoxes me.

Is there any other kind of specific information people look for when they ask for computer specs?
Old 04-22-2011, 01:10 AM   #3
arizonachris

Have you verified the game files? Click on Steam and choose Libraries. Right click on the game (or both games, one at a time) choose Properties> Local Files tab> Verify. It could take a while.

The "latest and greatest" drivers for that older card may actually not be the best ones. If the "verify" thing doesn't help, try rolling back to the 190.22 drivers. Make sure and use "Driver Sweeper" to uninstall the current video drivers.
arizonachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:21 AM   #4
WontletmeReset

This issue affects many people, including me. Overwiting Steam's version of Mass Effect 1.02 with the 1.02 update from Bioware usually helps (and yes I know the Steam version is already at 1.02). Find it here http://masseffect.bioware.com/me1/pc/updates/index.html

EDIT: I see you are running XP, but I will leave the info below for people running Vista or Win 7 who experience problems and do a search.

Also, if you are running Vista or Win 7, try setting the Mass Effect launcher and executable to run in XP Compatibility Mode as well. If none of this work set Mass Effect to run as Administrator. If you didn't install the update from Bioware, you will have to run Steam as Administrator as well, for some reason, if you do this (which is a damn good reason for installing it, IMHO).

Last edited by WontletmeReset: 05-01-2011 at 05:32 AM.
WontletmeReset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
Outcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by WontletmeReset View Post
This issue affects many people, including me. Overwiting Steam's version of Mass Effect 1.02 with the 1.02 update from Bioware usually helps (and yes I know the Steam version is already at 1.02). Find it here http://masseffect.bioware.com/me1/pc/updates/index.html

EDIT: I see you are running XP, but I will leave the info below for people running Vista or Win 7 who experience problems and do a search.

Also, if you are running Vista or Win 7, try setting the Mass Effect launcher and executable to run in XP Compatibility Mode as well. If none of this work set Mass Effect to run as Administrator. If you didn't install the update from Bioware, you will have to run Steam as Administrator as well, for some reason, if you do this (which is a damn good reason for installing it, IMHO).
Thank you thank you THANK YOU sir! You are truly a god among men!! I have spent 4 days and exhausted my computing knowledge trying to get this game to work. Someone should inform Steam they need to change their patched version.
Outcats is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Mass Effect series