Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Trine series

Old 04-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
depzoo

Trine and Shadowgrounds Black Screen Crash/Freeze, Help Wanted!

Dear Frozenbyte/Anyone!

I'm in help.

I've got some problems relating Trine, but I've opened another thread about it because it seems to affect more than one game, maybe you could help me pinpoint the origin of the error.

Detailed information here.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
JoelFB

Frozenbyte
I have replied in the thread. I suspect it's faulty hardware.

In the case of Trine (and the SG games), you can possibly ease the burden on your system by opening the game console and writing:

/show_fps 1
/render_max_fps 30

So that the framerate is limited to 30 frames. You could also run the game in Windowed mode (untick Fullscreen in the Launcher). I hope this helps a bit, but I fear the problem might be a tough one...

Old 04-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
depzoo

Yes, thank you.

I'll report my hardware troubleshooting results in a few days (after midterms) in both threads.

Edit:
I have these on my steam account and I play them without any glitch or error with perfect performance and stability:
-All Valve games ever created including Portal 2 (and L4D2)
-Unreal Tournament 3
-Clive Barker's Jericho
-X3 Terran Conflict
-The Witcher
-Elder Scroll IV Oblivion GOTY
-Complete FlatOut Series
-the non-ww2 cod games
-Killing Floor
-Burnout Paradise
-Penumbra Trilogy

Also, I admit my PSU had issues in the past, but if it's faulty then why produce the error in only a handful of games instead of all of them?
Regardless, I'm going to replace it for troubleshooting. Also going to pull out RAM modules one by one and run tests, but I have no means of troubleshooting VGA and CPU, hopefully they're still perfect as they always were for 4 years.

Last edited by depzoo: 04-28-2011 at 01:10 AM.
depzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
depzoo

Good news!

Ok, after days of troubleshooting, at one step I switched my PSU and removed a suspisious RAM module at once, and since then Borderlands runs fine without any errors.

Trine and Shadowgrounds also appear to be functional (but remains to be stress tested), which is good since my anti-videogame girlfriend actually liked trine at first sight.

I launched Trine to see if it at least runs, but it crashed every time at the rose loading screen just after program launch, every time. Then I left the pc alone for a while and when I returned, it run fine.

Any idea on this?
depzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
JoelFB

Frozenbyte
Great to hear, I hope it doesn't make a sudden comeback.

No idea on the crash, sounds a bit weird if it got fixed automatically - restart(s) could explain such behavior if it was a driver issue, but otherwise I guess we have to file it under computer magic.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Trine series