Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 04-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
nickm926

Steam Safe Guard Issues :@

So myself and my friend went halves on the Portal 2 deal which was two copies for £56 or something like that, anyhow I started downloading mine got about half way, switched laptop off as I thought I'll finish downloading tomorrow. Switched it on the next day and BAM been asked for a verification code which has been sent to an ancient email acount as I joined steam back in 2007. I literally have no way of accessing my acount which has the Orange Box and PORTAL 2!! I have contacted them and recieved some BS email about making sure it is been sent to the correct email.......I have tried logging on online and this just shows me the same message, what to do? Help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
nickm926

So I could go to bed without it whirring away....
nickm926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
crysisfreak

Banned
in the future, you should always make time for a download and if not, just leave it on so it can complete the process

-how would you like it if the store closed halfway through your shopping???..lol
crysisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
nickm926

I literally have no idea what your point is. I began the download of a game I had paid for, downloaded half of it then switched off my computer, went to sleep, woke up the next day, went to school then came home to log back into steam and finish downloading a game of which I have paid for to find I cannot log in.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
molleonline

Hey nickm926,
don't worry, closing Steam or turning of your computer while downloading usually doesn't harm your computer/steam account/games/file integrity at all. IMHO Steam has verification methods to ensure file integrity, even If you pull the plug of your PC.

Apparently, Steam is enabling the Safe Guard on all accounts; I have been prompted with this access code window a few days ago after I turned on my PC, even though I've had it never enabled before.
All you can do is gaining access to your mail somehow or contacting Steam support.
molleonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
Washell

Contact support again and explain you can't access the old e-mail account.
Washell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
crysisfreak

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm926 View Post
...anyhow I started downloading mine got about half way, switched laptop off as I thought I'll finish downloading tomorrow. Switched it on the next day and BAM been asked for a verification code which has been sent to an ancient email acount as I joined steam back in 2007...
As a newish member of steam, I know to at least pause the download before turning off the computer. Nowhere in your statement you say of doing this. It seems as if you interrupted your download and it somehow messed up your account. My point is, you, being a member of Steam since 2007 should have known not to do that. Why start a download and then want to shut your computer off? Anyways, I digress, keep trying to contact customer support and let them know what happened. Good luck.

oh yeah, and when you get your account up and running again, you may want to update that ancient 2007 email
crysisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
Gone'Postal

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washell View Post
This, ignore the others.
Gone'Postal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
nickm926

Quote:
Originally Posted by molleonline View Post
Hey nickm926,
don't worry, closing Steam or turning of your computer while downloading usually doesn't harm your computer/steam account/games/file integrity at all. IMHO Steam has verification methods to ensure file integrity, even If you pull the plug of your PC.

Apparently, Steam is enabling the Safe Guard on all accounts; I have been prompted with this access code window a few days ago after I turned on my PC, even though I've had it never enabled before.
All you can do is gaining access to your mail somehow or contacting Steam support.
I have with a rubbish response!

Quote:
I have and they have not responded anything which is actually of any use. I replied saying all I needed was the email address changed and then I could verify my account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysisfreak View Post
As a newish member of steam, I know to at least pause the download before turning off the computer. Nowhere in your statement you say of doing this. It seems as if you interrupted your download and it somehow messed up your account. My point is, you, being a member of Steam since 2007 should have known not to do that. Why start a download and then want to shut your computer off? Anyways, I digress, keep trying to contact customer support and let them know what happened. Good luck.

oh yeah, and when you get your account up and running again, you may want to update that ancient 2007 email
My connection isn't great so it downloaded 47% in around two hours which is a fair amount of the game. I don't think that the shutting down of my computer during the download of Portal 2 is connected with Steam Safe Guard appearing.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #10
kakkerlak

Banned
maybe you responded to the ticket conformation email?
kakkerlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #11
Anarchisteve

I'm not sure why people are keeping on about not turning off a computer during a download, it is perfectly safe and I have done so many times (sometimes a download will take a few days).

This is from Steam support:

Changing the Contact E-mail for a Steam Account
Question
How do I change the contact email address for my Steam Account?

How can I tell whether my email address has been verified with Steam?

Answer
If your email address has been verified with Steam
Changing your email address in Steam is a simple process:

Right-click on the Steam icon in the System Tray and select Settings or press the Settings button in the Steam menu.
Press the Change contact email button.
Enter your Steam Account password and click Next.
Check your email and retrieve the confirmation code sent to you by Steam Support. If you didn't receive this email message, Contact Steam Support.
Return to Steam and enter this code, followed by your new contact email address and then confirm this new address.
View the confirmation page and make sure all of the details are correct.

If your email address has not yet been verified with Steam
Changing your email address in Steam is a simple process:

Right-click on the Steam icon in the System Tray and select Settings or press the Settings button in the Steam menu.
Press the Change contact email address button.
Enter your new email address and then confirm the new address.
Press the Next button.
View the confirmation page and make sure all of the details are correct.

How can I tell whether my email address has been verified with Steam?
If your email address has been verified with Steam, it will be indicated as Verified in your Steam Account settings.
Anarchisteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #12
Washell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchisteve View Post
I'm not sure why people ...
I'm not sure why you're posting instructions that require him to either have access to his old e-mail or his steam account. He has neither and that's the whole reason he's posting here.

Again, the only answer is to contact support and get them to change the e-mail for you. It may take some rephrasing to get them to see the light, they're not always thorough readers.
Washell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #13
Mave.ts

Quote:
Again, the only answer is to contact support and get them to change the e-mail for you. It may take some rephrasing to get them to see the light, they're not always thorough readers.
This and ONLY THIS.

If you have a CD-key lying somewhere, and you registered that on your Steam account, send that along with your ticket, that way they'll be able to verify it's actually you.

I still have my old CS 1.6 Anthology box, with the CD-key, registered to m yaccount. Saved me 2 times so far. :>
Mave.ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #14
pizzahut

As Mave.ts mentioned, you will probably have to prove that the account belongs to you before support will change the eMail address.

Providing Proof of Purchase
pizzahut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #15
Modiga-Disabled

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysisfreak View Post
in the future, you should always make time for a download and if not, just leave it on so it can complete the process

-how would you like it if the store closed halfway through your shopping???..lol
Exiting Steam halfway through a download is completely fine.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips