Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 04-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
miketv101

Unhappy Steam won't let me buy anything

Big fan of mount and blade here, super stoked to see the new one out soon and I don't mind saving a few bucks so I was gonna pre-order. But every time I try and purchase for myself, instead of loading up the page with my saved credit card info it loads the homepage. If I try to purchase any game for myself or friends it just loads the homepage! I've never had this issue before, and I've had steam for years now, can anybody help? I've checked my email to make sure multiple purchases weren't going through(wouldn't make sense since it never did the credit card page)

TY in advance, good gaming
Old 04-28-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
Maledict21

Have you tried simply using your web browser to make the purchases?
Maledict21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
miketv101

Just tried that after you suggested it, and to my surprise it did the exact same thing ... :/
miketv101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
Maledict21

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketv101 View Post
Just tried that after you suggested it, and to my surprise it did the exact same thing ... :/
That is indeed surprising. Try checking your computer for proxy settings - they can cause behavior such as this.
  1. Exit Steam.
  2. Click Start > Run (or Windows Key + R)
  3. Type inetcpl.cpl and click OK.
  4. Click the Connections tab.
  5. Click the LAN settings button.
  6. If any items on this window are checked, uncheck them.
  7. Click OK to close any open windows and restart your computer.
  8. Now, launch Steam and test the issue.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
miketv101

Sadly no dice, the only thing checked was to automatically detect settings, though I did uncheck it and restart, goes to the same end. Interesting to note may be that after updating my pc last night my wired connection did not work today until I restarted it later in the afternoon though fully plugged in and probably functional. Its never happened before until after I shut off my compty last night and it seemed to be updating. As I shut off now I just got 2 more updates maybe the same. Might be in a little over my head here lol.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #6
Maledict21

I can think of a couple more things to check.

Check for Steam related domains in the Windows hosts file. The hosts file is located at "C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts". It is a text file and can be opened in Notepad to check for anything suspicious.

Try another browser (pretty sure that's not going to make a difference, but it's worth a shot especially if you are using IE).

Is the Steam store the only website that has been exhibiting odd behavior?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #7
miketv101

Figured it out, win7 was trying to update win7 2011 essentials but it wasn't working so it was making my computer time incorrect so it couldn't update, basically synced my time with internet time, which allowed it to update, a restart and everything is running 100% again. Thanks for sticking with me for this one and trying to help, have a good one!
Old 04-28-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
Maledict21

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketv101 View Post
Figured it out, win7 was trying to update win7 2011 essentials but it wasn't working so it was making my computer time incorrect so it couldn't update, basically synced my time with internet time, which allowed it to update, a restart and everything is running 100% again. Thanks for sticking with me for this one and trying to help, have a good one!
That would make sense. Usually when this happens the browser will display a message about an invalid certificate - odd. I can understand Steam just reverting to the homepage though since it doesn't have UI front end for every security/web error.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips