Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Your Doodles Are Bugged

Old 04-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
Whimper

I love this game!

What an unexpected treasure this game was, from its insidious AI (or is is all really just random?) to the open-ended gameplay. Everytime I play, I view the whole thing as an insightful metaphor for modern education.

I can't be alone in my devotion to this new bug-herding pastime, this Lemmings for the 21st century, can I?
Old 05-01-2011, 03:50 AM   #2
Spyn Doctor

Hi!

I'm glad you love the game so much!

Want me to explain a bit how the bug AI works? Or would that destroy your fun with the game?

Doc
Spyn Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
Whimper

I don't need to know the all the sordid details, but it seems more than just random. Otherwise, bugs wouldn't get trapped the way they sometimes do, in places where dozens of their friends did just fine.

Or maybe I underestimate the capabilities of an infinite number of monkeys at typewriters...
Whimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
Spyn Doctor

No, definitely not random. All bugs follow the same simple set of rules. The only randomness (in addition to the initial random start direction) is a slight variation in the height of the jumps (that's why they all clear the low jumps easily, but for the almost-too-high jumps, they sometimes need several attempts).
Just like when you watch a swarm of fish or flock of birds: Each fish follows simple rules (stay close to neighbor, but not too close, swim in same general direction as neighbor, etc.), and out of these simple rules emerges a swarm behavior as if the swarm were an entity by itself.
Of course the bugs have different rules than these swarm rules...

Doc
Old 05-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
punatic

I think you can predict the swarm behavior but single bug behavior is unpredictable.
For exemple, all lemmings do exactly the same thing, and you know what's going to happen.
In YDAB, bugs are alive
GG doc
punatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
Spyn Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by punatic View Post
In YDAB, bugs are alive
Until they walk the red line...

Doc
Old 05-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
punatic

lol
you're right, I just beat the suicide mission, I killed them all exept one, and got the first place at the first try o0
Old 05-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
Spyn Doctor

Now try solving it again, without killing any bugs, so you get the Pacifist achievement.

Currently I think I'm still the only one with that achievement. That needs to be changed!

Doc
Old 05-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #9
punatic

now what?

Ho no!

Old 05-04-2011, 04:18 AM   #10
Spyn Doctor

LOL! Funny screenshots!

Remember, for the pacifist achievement, you don't have to save all bugs. You just have to solve the doodle (=save 1 bug) without killing any bugs...
Old 05-04-2011, 07:41 AM   #11
punatic

Quote:
Remember, for the pacifist achievement, you don't have to save all bugs. You just have to solve the doodle (=save 1 bug) without killing any bugs...
Thanks for the trick, I was trying to save all the bugs.

I did it!

btw, I have beaten your time on doodle 17 but I didn't get the pwned achievement, do I have to do that on doodle 13 and 18 too, or is my steam bugged?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #12
Spyn Doctor

Congrats for the achievement!

For the PWNED! achievement, you only have to beat the time in one of the three doodles.
But it's not the time in the leaderboards that you need to beat, but the (secret) time that is hard-coded into the game, which is faster than my entry on the leaderboards. Those hard-coded times (for the three doodles) are also genuine times from real play-throughs I did of those doodles, only before the Steam leaderboards were online.
I'm not going to reveal the exact time, but it's about 40-50 sec faster than your current leaderboard entry.

Doc
Old 05-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #13
punatic

ok, I told mylself that you will not let you pwned so easily!
Old 05-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #14
sorted

Fun game Doc, my six year old loves it (me too). Really sweet.

keep up your good works

sorted
sorted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #15
Whimper

I wish this game could get some attention, it's really worth it. I've told my friends all about it and my obsession with viewing the little bugs as "my students".
Whimper is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Your Doodles Are Bugged