Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Hydrophobia: Prophecy

Old 05-01-2011, 04:57 AM   #1
Fox_McCloud

Banned
How come the character has hydrophobia yet she swims?

I get the whole facing your fears thinsg but I doubt someone with hydroPHOBIA would be like a dolphin in the water.

Would she not more likely have a fit, go into shock then drown when the water started flowing? Maybe a realism mode is in order that can't be beaten

your answer will determine whether i pre-order or not
Old 05-01-2011, 05:27 AM   #2
DarkEnergy

Dark Energy Digital
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox_McCloud View Post
I get the whole facing your fears thinsg but I doubt someone with hydroPHOBIA would be like a dolphin in the water.

Would she not more likely have a fit, go into shock then drown when the water started flowing? Maybe a realism mode is in order that can't be beaten

your answer will determine whether i pre-order or not
Very good question. The answer is that as a child Kate used to be a very strong swimmer, in fact if you search her appartment you will find some collectables which reveal this.

Kate's fear of water comes from the trauma of an accident where her younger sister Jenny drowned. It is this haunting memory which comes back when Kate is near water.

You might ask why she lives on the Queen of the World. The ship is the size of a city, so she doesn't need to go near the water, as an engineer she rationalises the fact that she never need go near the water, but in her subconscious she can't forgive herself for hers sisters death and therefore she can't let go. She feels that she deserves the guilt and the nightmares, so she shouldn't leave the ship.

In the game the Hydrophobia manifests itself as hallucinations and sounds of the memory where her sister drowned, rather than intruding on the players control. Kate is perfectly capable of swimming, it's just the memories it triggers which traumatise her.
DarkEnergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:56 AM   #3
Fox_McCloud

Banned
That's it, I just pre-ordered it Thank's for the answer.
Fox_McCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
DarkEnergy

Dark Energy Digital
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox_McCloud View Post
That's it, I just pre-ordered it Thank's for the answer.
You're welcome and thanks for the pre-order. Hope you enjoy the game, let us know what you think and remember you can send your feedback from within the game using the Dev Feedback menu
DarkEnergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
Kacsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEnergy View Post

Kate's fear of water comes from the trauma of an accident where her younger sister Jenny drowned. It is this haunting memory which comes back when Kate is near water.
OMGOMG I thought KATE herself nearly drowned But the true story explains EVERYTHING! Ooooh.... I was all wrong.
So I've got the answer about the... "Argh... argh... Jenny?" in the elevator at the beginning of the game.
Annyway, Kate's swimming coach was Lianne Nolan and her favorite food is chicken pie.
I can't wait to swim in the river in Summer, I want to "broaden" my lungs, I want to hold my breath for a longer time. And when I do it, will think about poor Jenny and avoid the terrible thing that happened to her.
R.I.P, Jenny Wilson.
Kacsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:26 AM   #6
HeXd

Also pre-ordered based on dev's reply.

+1 for preloading if at all possible
HeXd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:18 AM   #7
Stryk

Quote:
Very good question. The answer is that as a child Kate used to be a very strong swimmer, in fact if you search her appartment you will find some collectables which reveal this.

You might ask why she lives on the Queen of the World. The ship is the size of a city, so she doesn't need to go near the water, as an engineer she rationalises the fact that she never need go near the water, but in her subconscious she can't forgive herself for hers sisters death and therefore she can't let go. She feels that she deserves the guilt and the nightmares, so she shouldn't leave the ship.

In the game the Hydrophobia manifests itself as hallucinations and sounds of the memory where her sister drowned, rather than intruding on the players control. Kate is perfectly capable of swimming, it's just the memories it triggers which traumatise her.
Spoiler maybe...
Stryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:11 AM   #8
Kacsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryk View Post
Spoiler maybe...
no,
the story won't tell about the accident what happened to Jenny. it just has little clues about it.
(that's why I thought Kate HERSELF nearly drowned, I didn't know ANYTHING about her sister)
Old 05-02-2011, 08:27 AM   #9
Stry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryk View Post
Spoiler maybe...
Whoa... I like your name :P.
Stry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Kacsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stry View Post
Whoa... I like your name :P.
ROFL
Old 10-30-2011, 11:24 AM   #11
Mthise

Quote:
Finally some answers! Thank you.
Mthise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
Raskalnickoff

Rather than traumatic I thought the girls laughter underwater was peaceful, especially when we are having a gunfight at the OK corral above water.
Raskalnickoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Hydrophobia: Prophecy