Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam Community Discussion

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 05-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
FreeJACLive

Thumbs down Retail Boxed keys not portable?

Hi,

A friend of mine came over and tried to use his steam account on one of my computers. To our surprise none of his games would show up on the games list. He has a retail box of Orange Box and a new retail box for Portal2. When he went back home to use it on his own machine again all his games were gone. Of course trying to register the keys again gives you an error. My question is, are retail box keys not portable like downloaded keys? I can log on to any computer with my steam account and install all my games if i so choose, but for him it doesn't appear to work the same way and that is the only difference.

Thanks
JAC

P.S. He has opened up a support ticket to get this straightened out.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
~SW

You can log into & download any game linked to your steam account through any computer. Make sure that in the library setting the list is set to all games instead of installed only.

Edit: To change the list setting form the library tab directly under the hiughlighted title of library youll see the words "installed" or "all games" or "recently played" or something to that effect. Click that text & it will give you a menu, select "all games"
~SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
FreeJACLive

Yeah no that wasn't it.

The games linked in his account are gone. Also his friends list as well. He tried adding me and it said this feature wasn't available because he didn't have any games yet. If it was just a view problem he wouldn't have had that error and his friends list would still be showing. It doesn't even show him as being on-line from my view. Very strange. I had him change his password right away and that worked no problem and as expected.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
MADDOGGE

He did sign in to his own account correct and not try to install on your account by mistake correct? This is an easy mistake to make when visiting a friend forgetting to switch accounts. Also CD-keys are a one time thing for Steam games. Once they are tied to ones account there is no reason to re-input them to install, though some 3rd party games require it to play MP.

Even if someone hijacked his account and he could still get on, his games should show up if only in the All games section of his library as not installed. Also have him go to D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common (or his account name for some Valve games) and see if the game folders are still there.

Have him exit Steam and rename his ClientRegistry.blob file. Restart Steam let the file rebuild (about a minute tops) Sign back in and then check his library and see if his games are there.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:31 AM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5
BurtonJ

Valve
It sounds like he logged into the wrong account. Did your friend submit a Support Ticket?
BurtonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
FreeJACLive

No installing was done at all. I logged into my laptop with my account where it was previously logged in on the desktop. He then logged in on the desktop and his games were not on the list.

We tried him on the laptop as well no games. We reinstalled the steam client no change no games. I could log on with mine on either machine and they showed up as expected.

He went home where he logged in to his PC and previously played from earlier that weekend, and same thing no games. This is the same PC he installed the retail copies of his games. His Orangebox was installed over a year ago while Portal2 was installed on release week. Both associated with the same steam account.

The CD keys should be associated with this account but don't appear to be anymore based on the circumstances. Of course now they come up as had already been used I thought perhaps the system would have been smart enough to figure out that this was the account that was previously associated with these CD keys but apparently it is not.

Tried the rename blob file on my desktop and on his desktop at his place. It did the rebuild thing as expected but there was no change in the listed games.

Support ticket was submitted Sunday, there hasn't been a response as of yet, but I(we) do understand it can take up to 5 business days.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:55 AM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7
BurtonJ

Valve
What is the ticket number?
Old 05-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
FreeJACLive

Where do you find the ticket number? It is not shown under the your questions area and he can't seem to find an email associated with the submitted question either. It was created May 1st.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:55 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9
BurtonJ

Valve
While viewing the ticket, check the URL and you will see something like "ticketref=2563-EUKB-8859"

Alternatively, it is listed in the subject of the email.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
FuuKuy

FreeJACLive, have your friend tried to look into his STEAM Community profile?

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/<HIS STEAM ID>
FuuKuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #11
FreeJACLive

ticketref=5341-YHJN-5582
Old 05-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #12
FreeJACLive

the steamcommuity/id/steamid doesnt seem to work. I tried myself as well comes up blank. I can search for him under community search no problem and he is there.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:15 PM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #13
BurtonJ

Valve
Yep, your friend was logging into the incorrect account. He should be good-to-go now.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #14
FreeJACLive

Yes it is now working after following the instructions in the email using a different steam account name other than the one that he created the support ticket with. So are you saying he has two game accounts on steam one with games associated with it and another without? I guess that is exactly what you are saying LOL!! Kids not keepin track of their account information and confusing the hell out of us old farts! ;-)

Thanks to everyone for all the replies!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam Community Discussion