Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Universe Sandbox

Old 05-05-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
Glitch233

Universe Sandbox causes computers to lock?

I've noticed that if I leave the simulation running for about 30 minutes to an hour without disturbing the computer, the computer spontaneously locks. I'm pretty sure that it is caused by Universe Sandbox because I have never had anything happen like this since I got this computer years ago. I don't think it's causing any actual problems, but I was just wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this or if anyone can help.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:59 AM   #2
Mogh

I haven't kept Universe Sandbox running that long in one simulation yet, but it seems quite likely to me that it is the cause. The game crashes a lot on my system, it's still very rough around the edges.
Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
Smeikle

What do you mean by 'locking'? Do you mean freeze/hang/unresponsive type, or actual "lock" screen? Sorry if the question seems a bit out there, but you would be surprised at how many people use 'locked' as a general term.
Smeikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Glitch233

Yeah, the actual "press ctrl+alt+del to unlock" lock screen, but like I said, not a major problem, but pretty annoying.
Glitch233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
Dan Dixon

Universe Sandbox
If you're running Universe Sandbox it is supposed to disable the screensaver, but shouldn't force the computer to 'lock'.

I'm not sure I've seen this issue occur. Is anyone else having this problem?
Dan Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
damaged

Yes, I am having this issue, really irritating.
damaged is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #7
Kamatsu

I'm having the same problem, but even worse. If I have Universe Sandbox running it puts me on the log-in screen (same as ctrl-alt-tab & lock computer) after 30 seconds of no activity.

You can imagine how annoying/aggravating this is if I try and read anything while leaving a simulation in the background (which I do at times)... start reading a long post, just to get locked out, or having to constantly jiggle my mouse to avoid this.

I've checked the limited options, and isn't anything I can see relating to this. I also do not have screen saver's enabled, nor power saving setup. Finally, this only ever happens when US is running, so I know it's the reason this is happening.

Edit - I'd just like to add a bit thanx to nLegion who posted a working solution on US Steam Discussion page.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/72200/...3123795643708/

Quote:
Two confirmed 'fixes'
1: The easy option

1: enabling screensavers
2: set your screensaver start delay to a really high value (9999)
3: apply the settings
4: disable the screensaver
5: apply settings

this should work as a workaround for those who dont use screensavers, and those that normally do can just increase the delay to 9999 minutes.

2: The advanced option

You can turn totally turn of workstation locking by changing the registry key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\System\DisableLockWorkstation

which is a 32bit DWORD value, if it doesnt exists you can create it.
Set it to:

1 – Disable Lock Workstation
0 – Enable Lock Workstation
I used the first option, and it fixed my issue of being sent to the "computer Locked" screen every 30 seconds. I'd recommend doing this fix before the second, and only advise the second one if you know what your doing - as you can easily break things with regedit (ie you can stop windows from working completely, forcing a re-install of windows)

Last edited by Kamatsu: 07-21-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Kamatsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Universe Sandbox