Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2 > Hammer/Modding

Old 05-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #1
audiOtrash

Thumbs up [WIP] Identity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ9HDatEt1o

Hey there. I have started mapping for Portal 2 recently (useing the Alien Swarm SDK) and wanted to make my progress public. I am planning on makeing 6 Chambers (3 maps), each 6 focussing on one portal-feature. I'd be happy for any constructive feedback, tips or anything else. I'll keep this thread up-to-date as much as i can. I have some spare time so there might be alot of updates. Also i will update the Downloadlink as soon as something new and playable is added!

Screenshots: #01 #02 #03 #04 #05 #06 #07
Videos: Chamber 01 & 02 - Chamber 03 - (don`t watch if you want to solve it yourself!) - Thx to Andy M. J.!

To-Do list:

- think of 2 more puzzles focussing on Traktor Beams/Funnels.
- random maze in chamber01 / activate/deactivate pattern.

Known bugs, issues or glitches:
- (more to be added by your feedback)

Downloadink: NEW VERSION (MAY 12)
Zippyshare: http://www63.zippyshare.com/v/58455591/file.html
Megaupload: (thx to Briankealing)

Current Version: 3.5.75 (3 maps. 5 chambers. 75% done.)

Edit: If anyone has any idea for a puzzle, feel free to add me on steam (audiotrash) and tell me. I will see how i can make it into a map!

Progress:
Chamber 01: 100%
Chamber 02: 100%
Chamber 03: 100%
Chamber 04: 99%

Last edited by audiOtrash: 05-15-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
OrangeNinja

Crashers! awesome!

Just add more portal panels, so it will be harder and also will have more solutions P: great job, I'm gonna try it out.
The details look great btw O:
OrangeNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
audiOtrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeNinja View Post
Crashers! awesome!

Just add more portal panels, so it will be harder and also will have more solutions P: great job, I'm gonna try it out.
The details look great btw O:
It`s really hard to think of hard puzzles. You always find a spot where you can shortcut etc.

Any thx, i am trying to keep it as detailed as possible, with the limited possibilities.
audiOtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
OrangeNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiOtrash View Post
It`s really hard to think of hard puzzles. You always find a spot where you can shortcut etc.

Any thx, i am trying to keep it as detailed as possible, with the limited possibilities.
No you misunderstood me, I meant by adding more portal surfaces, you sometimes make it harder, because when you see only 1 panel you think 'there the portal should be',
but you have lots of them, you think harder where is the right (one of many) place to put a portal.
OrangeNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
audiOtrash

Quote:
No you misunderstood me, I meant by adding more portal surfaces, you sometimes make it harder, because when you see only 1 panel you think 'there the portal should be',
but you have lots of them, you think harder where is the right (one of many) place to put a portal.
i`ll try adding some more without makeing it shortcutable
Old 05-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
Mikel_S

Yeah, the big problem with portal mapping (and the reason for so few portal-able surfaces in the main game) is that the more complex you make a puzzle, the easier it is to allow the player to completely skip parts by adding more walls.

Looks amazing though, can't wait to try out your maps.
Mikel_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
Tumdace

Quote:
The problem of adding more portal panels is that if you arent careful, people find a way to use those panels to get passed the map in a way other than intended, making it easier instead of more difficult
Tumdace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
jessej07

Ummmmm, LOOKS AWESOME.

I'll be wanting to play through these.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
audiOtrash

Thx You 3. Can`t wait untill you played them. Hopeing for some nice feedback!
Old 05-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #10
hitelf

sounds good ;3
hitelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:31 AM   #11
Mikel_S

Just a few notes: The invisible shafts you use to direct some of the cubes. You need to make them disappear after a short time. The one in the crusher room caused a problem getting back up to the button because I hit it during the fling. The one in the last (third) test is less noticeable, because who in their right mind would go back to the button after they'd solved the test. Some people will. And an invisible wall isn't going to be appreciated, heh. Takes some of the magic away when you slam your face into it.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #12
audiOtrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_S View Post
Just a few notes: The invisible shafts you use to direct some of the cubes. You need to make them disappear after a short time. The one in the crusher room caused a problem getting back up to the button because I hit it during the fling. The one in the last (third) test is less noticeable, because who in their right mind would go back to the button after they'd solved the test. Some people will. And an invisible wall isn't going to be appreciated, heh. Takes some of the magic away when you slam your face into it.
Thx for the feedback! I noticed it myself. The crusher one should dissapear as soon as the cube gets near the platform at the bottom. Just one minute ago i made the invisible in chamber03 dissapear once the cube hits the button!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
Mikel_S

Oh, I see what happened in chamber 2. I was trying to solve it the wrong way (figured out the correct way a few seconds later) by catching the block with a funnel, which is why the invisible barrier never went away.

Oh, and I'd recommend a quarter-second delay in the third chamber, after it hits the button, because there's a small chance it might bounce off.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #14
SuperBoof

How do I go about adding this to my Portal 2 game?
SuperBoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #15
Mikel_S

Superboof: Extract the rar and put the 2 map files in [Program Files]/steam/steamapps/common/Portal 2/portal2/maps . Replace [Program Files] with whatever your directory is for program files (it varies by computer and Windows version). Then launch the game, enable the console, and type
"map sp_audio"
The rest of the map should fill itself in.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2 > Hammer/Modding