Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Section 8 series

Old 05-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Daggettz

S8P Graphics Dated? I Don't Think So

Sorry to create yet another thread but I'm getting really confused with some folk constantly going on about how S8P has dated graphics. I'm obviously not seeing what others are then.

Ok so let's do a comparison. Halo Reach was a fully fledged 360 title that came out oooh September last year. S8P is an XBLA game which came out April this year.

Here's a pic of Halo Reach multiplayer:
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/8...umoddball7.jpg

And here a pic of S8P multiplayer:
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/4109/55579292.jpg

Now take into consideration the budget and developer backing Halo Reach had compared to that of S8P. Substantial difference I'm sure you will agree. But had I not known S8P was an XBLA title based on those two pictures I would have thought they cost around the same price. We obviously know different.

I'm sure someone here can throw up a Halo Reach single player screenshot that blows S8P away but I'm basing this comparison purely on the multiplayer. And how each game looks in just multiplayer.

Again I just don't get what people are complaining about as it looks stellar on my machine with some decent af and fsaa shoved on in CCC.

S8P graphics dated? Not from where I'm sitting.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
Omega4

Banned
I don't believe S8P's graphics are dated. But I also believe they don't do as good a job conveying a 3-Dimension gaming environment as BFBC2 does, in my opinion.
Omega4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
kn00tcn

both of those screenshots are a 'lie' as they are rendered at higher resolutions then resized down, giving them SSAA

plus almost every console game i've ever seen has AF set really low, if on at all

as for s8's gfx, on the technical side, everything seems a bit empty or wide open, texture tiling can be seen, AO isnt as strong as it should be, the motion blur is rarely used & is the older version of unreal before they improved it

on the artistic side, the empty wide open part applies again, the lens flare of the sun is weird (but not as messed up as the original game of course), the water splashes dont quite look like drops on your screen, fire could be better but other games have been worse (blackops has terrible explosions)

overall, it's quite nice, they checked off many expected features & have a consistent feel across everything

i think people just might be feeling that the world is a little lifeless (like homefront or MAG), mixed with some of what i mentioned earlier, mixed with comparing to crysis or bulletstorm
kn00tcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
Daggettz

I doubt anyone would be silly enough to compare it to the likes of Bulletstorm and Crysis 2.

Didn't want to make yet another thread but I thought I'd share these awesome wallpapers I found over at Alienwarearena.com:

http://www.alienwarearena.com/games-...game/section8/

The first is my new desktop!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
NanoImp

Considering S8P doesn't look better or worse than UT3, art direction a whole other matter...

S8P graphics are 4 years old with PC tech. You get what you pay for though.

I'll admit, Tribes 2's graphics irritate me for being 10 years old, but the gameplay is still able to deliver.

If this ever turns into an audio discussion... it'll be fun.

And just to rub it in, Tribes 2 has female soldiers with 5 skins, a model for light and medium. Sultry, wild, and professional voices too.

Last edited by NanoImp: 05-08-2011 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Female soldiers
Old 05-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
kn00tcn

i like the distorted crashy noise when there is an explosion in your face, not sure if killzone3 was doing this, but it reminds me of it
Old 05-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
NorthStar462

Bottom line is that the gameplay is more important, and it wins.
NorthStar462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
kn00tcn

yes, gameplay is pretty good

that doesnt mean the gfx should be from 1995
(not that this game is, but in general people talk like gfx including art design isnt important at all, but quake3 & hl1 are timeless due to their immersion & consistency, compared to say daikatana)
Old 05-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
Tempest_Wales

I don't think the graphics are dated, but they are standard for UDK the engine, and a natural by product of console gaming. But for the limited budget of the devs and the low price of the game, you'd have to give them 100% for effort!
Tempest_Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
enemyofportal

Banned
you complain about graphic? wow. how about portal 2? they still use very old outdated source engine. but the game still looks good. section 8 prejudice is just fine (not very good like crysis 2). but I think that it is pretty good for old engine. I like this little a lot which wasn't expected before playing. as many as I play, I get loving it.
enemyofportal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
laazrockit

I just got this game on pc. Graphics aren't amazing but they are definitely more than acceptable. The game looks and performs very well.
laazrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #12
kindred

Banned
Graphics are pretty good, but performace sucks compared to other UT3 games.
I get 60fps min on UT3 with 8xAA, yet only 30fps average on Section 8, sometimes dropping down to 24fps and that's with no AA.
kindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #13
RavN

I think the game looks really nice for such a low priced title. However, It seems to not scale well for people with older systems. Also some of the art design is a bit derivative of other games.
RavN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #14
illmeister80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggettz View Post
I doubt anyone would be silly enough to compare it to the likes of Bulletstorm and Crysis 2.

Didn't want to make yet another thread but I thought I'd share these awesome wallpapers I found over at Alienwarearena.com:

http://www.alienwarearena.com/games-...game/section8/

The first is my new desktop!
definitely some of the coolest wallpaper images i've seen for a game. the suits look really really cool. i think they might actually be the best looking suits in a suit-wearing fps to be honest.
illmeister80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #15
Guhn.E

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindred View Post
Graphics are pretty good, but performace sucks compared to other UT3 games.
I get 60fps min on UT3 with 8xAA, yet only 30fps average on Section 8, sometimes dropping down to 24fps and that's with no AA.
Odd, I got better performance out of S8P than UT3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavN View Post
Also some of the art design is a bit derivative of other games.
Examples?
Guhn.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Section 8 series