Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dwarfs!?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
kermitdefro

"Dwarfs has stopped working" launch crash

Yet another crash-on-startup issue. When I click play, the game crashes immediately with the "Dwarfs has stopped working" error box.

I have reinstalled XNA and .NET without luck, as well as defragged and verified game files. Every time I verify, it says "1 file failed to validate and will be reacquired", downloads a file, but still will not work.

This is a real shame, as I have no idea what else to do. Devs?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:59 AM   #2
Haihaine

Power of Two
The one file that fails to validate for many people don't seem to be causing much real trouble, just confusion. We're looking into it!

Since you don't get far enough into the game to even run into the game's own crash screen, it really does sound like you have some issue with .NET or XNA. Are they of at least version NET 3.5 and XNA 3.1?
Haihaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
grimzag

I've been having the same problem. In addition, Stardock Impulse has also stopped working, and is giving me a "Microsoft .NET Assembly Registry stopped working" message when I try to re-install it. I did some research, and it was indicated that .NET 3.0 is to blame, though system file checker said everything was fine.

It might be that .net 3.0 framework has gotten corrupted, and since that is an OS component on windows 7... :/ I don't know if it's the same issue though.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
Haihaine

Power of Two
Grimzag: You can still reinstall .NET, and you should use NET 3.5! Might have misunderstood your post, but it sounds like you have a corrupt 3.0 installation?
Old 05-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
grimzag

Well, here's the thing. My research also indicates that the features in .NET 3.0 are not also in .NET 3.5. You actually need .NET 3.0 to run some 3.0 applications and provide 3.0 functionality. So I don't know if Dwarfs uses anything form 3.0, but if it does then a corruption in 3.0 would affect it.

I do have .NET 3.5.1, though I'm worried it might have somehow gotten corrupted as well. In fact, I installed both .NET 4.0 and XNA 4.0 just to see if that would fix the problem.

Second, in Windows Vista and Windows 7 .NET 2.0 and 3.0 are OS components, so you actually cannot install them without doing a repair install of the OS (though there are built in tools that are SUPPOSED to maintain integrity, but they say everything is fine).

The reason I think it's .net 3.0 is that around the same time as Dwarfs wouldn't function, Impulse also stopped working, and Impulse is also a .NET application, and that error message from Impulse is related to .NET, so chances are it's the same error in both cases and not two different errors.

I'm hoping maybe for some clarity though: did you use any 3.0? Because you use XNA 3.1, and I don't know which version of .NET that runs with, or if it uses things from multiple versions of it.

edit: also, did you test on pre-service-pack-1 Windows 7, because I just simply haven't been able to intall service pack one after 4 or 5 attempts. I'm actually pretty sure it was an aborted SP1 install that borked .net, since I had done that the day before >.> My computer is just generally f**ked up right now, and I'm trying to pin down this particular problem because I REALLY want to play your game :P (also, I want Impulse to work again)

Last edited by grimzag: 05-09-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
grimzag

Aha! It IS .net!

Here's a tool to check your .net installation to make sure everything is ship-shape:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/arc...3/8999004.aspx

It won't fix it, but it'll tell you if there is a problem.

Me, I'm going to try an In-Place upgrade to Windows 7 once I have a chance to buy an install disk and back-up my files.

Last edited by grimzag: 05-09-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
Woozie

I'm having the same problem and this is really infuriating.

I've reinstalled .NET Framework 3.5 two or three times, and even reinstalled the XNA framework fro 4.0 several times and all I get is the same error before the game even finishes set up through steam.

It's times like these I wish Steam had a 24 hour refund period. If I'm paying any amount of money for a game I'd like for it to LAUNCH before there are any technical problems.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #8
Haihaine

Power of Two
One user apparently got an error trying to launch with XNA 4.0, and tried installing XNA 3.1, which solved his problem. Have you tried that?

Also: Steam does offer refunds on a case to case basis, and if you've exhausted your options on trying to make a game run, I'd wager they'd be nice.

Last edited by Haihaine: 05-09-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
Woozie

For some reason the XNA 3.1 download page is frozen and I can't even download the exe to install:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...1-98eb3e799ef2

I can access 4.0 and 2.0 but not 3.1. It's literally like the tech world is out to get me.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
Haihaine

Power of Two
Haha, tell me about it...

Luckily, the 3.1 installer should be downloaded with the game!

<Steam Installdir>\Steamapps\common\Dwarfs\Depends\XNA\
Old 05-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #11
Woozie

...but after downloading from a mirror site that actually worked.

XNA 3.1 works but 4.0 does not.

To clarify: the game is now running so I'm going to attempt playing it now. Thanks Haihaine.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #12
Haihaine

Power of Two
Haha, man. These computer thingies are giving me a heart attack!

Glad to hear it's working, and I hope you can enjoy the game despite your rough start
Old 05-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #13
alli077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haihaine View Post
One user apparently got an error trying to launch with XNA 4.0, and tried installing XNA 3.1, which solved his problem. Have you tried that?

Also: Steam does offer refunds on a case to case basis, and if you've exhausted your options on trying to make a game run, I'd wager they'd be nice.
this worked for me
alli077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #14
Gebx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
For some reason the XNA 3.1 download page is frozen and I can't even download the exe to install:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...1-98eb3e799ef2

I can access 4.0 and 2.0 but not 3.1. It's literally like the tech world is out to get me.
I was having the same problems... clicked the link, downloaded XNA 3.1 and now its working just fine!

Thank you!
Gebx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #15
Xaix

so I spent a few hours mucking around the ms website, cant find the 2008 version of vis studio c# and this xna 3.1 just wont install with the 2010 version, nor will the game run with 2010 and 4.0

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dwarfs!?