Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Section 8 series

Old 05-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
Malidictus

Section 8: Prejudice on Steam?

First of all, I apologise if I'm asking a repeated question. I did a search, but came up with not much.

I've seen numerous reports of people apparently buying and downloading this game over Steam, but I can't seem to actually find an option to buy it on my end. When I search the store, all I see is just Section 8, the 2009 game, not Prejudice. So is the game even sold on Steam, and as such, what could be causing me to not see it? Is it somehow attached to the regular Section 8, is it held back in Europe? I've searched for a release date, but all I could find was the 6th of this month, which has already past.

I'm trying to recruit a friend of mine into snagging a copy with me, and I doubt I'll be able to convince him to spend money for something that's not on Steam, not at the moment, anyway. As for myself, I just prefer Steam as the platform. I don't even know how "Games For Windows Live" even works.

Could someone help me out?
Old 05-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
NanoImp

Based on the complaints I've read, this game is restricted to certain countries, namely European ones with Steam.

It is simply not available to every country, even if Steam is available. GFWL may also be a problem as it has country limitations too.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
visceral monkey

I think you can buy it at gamersgate if you're in the EU.
visceral monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:00 AM   #4
Malidictus

Well, damn... So much for that idea, but at least that explains what the problem is. Are there any prospects for this game being released in Europe at any point at all in the future? After all, I can wait for it so long as I know it's coming, even if it takes a long time.

And why is that game location-locked, anyway? I thought the point of a "virtual only" game - as this one is said to be - was so that you didn't have to deal with on-location stores in various countries. What difference does it make if I'm in the US, in Europe or on Mars? As long as I have an Internet connection and a valid PayPal account, who gives a toss?

OK, then question 2: Is Prejudice a standalone game, or do I need the original? Because this is the PERFECT game to recruit a friend of mine for - it's pretty good and it doesn't cost 50 Euro like Brink does.
Malidictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:25 AM   #5
NanoImp

Can't help you on the location part. It's up to Timegate, Microsoft, Steam.

Prejudice is 100% stand alone. The first game's story was so pointless, all you literally need to know is the good guys win and sets up the story in Prejudice.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
Malidictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoImp View Post
Can't help you on the location part. It's up to Timegate, Microsoft, Steam.
So we wait... Oh, well. Guess I'll be keeping an eye out. If Yahtzee can wait for sometimes upwards of a year for games to hit his neck of the woods, I can wait a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoImp View Post
Prejudice is 100% stand alone. The first game's story was so pointless, all you literally need to know is the good guys win and sets up the story in Prejudice.
Fair enough. I've always seen Section 8 more as the Battlefield 2142 of online FPS games, in that even if it has a single-player campaign, it's a multiplayer game. If I get this game, it'll be because I've been able to talk a friend of mine to get it with me, and we'll be playing multiplayer when that happens.

---

Thank you for your help
Old 05-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
Malidictus

Heh... I do a Google search for "Section 8 +prejudice Europe" and this thread is one of the first things that comes up. I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #8
Sifer2

GFWL doesn't support all countries. This is one of the biggest reasons it sucks. I dunno if its possible for someone to gift it to you an you lie to the GFWL registration.
Sifer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
Creaturemagic

Banned
Well it is just like Internet sites. It asks for your age so you put in that your 300 so that you can access the site. So I would just make a GFWL account and put you live in the US.
Creaturemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #10
Malidictus

To be honest, I don't want to bother with Games for Windows Live in general, if I can avoid it. I've bought a lot of games over the years, and really the only ones I still have access to are over Steam, because it's secure and convenient. Ideally, I want to get the game over Steam, but I'm just not sure how that could happen.

Say, would it be possible to ask a friend of mine in the US to snag a gift copy of the game and "gift" it to me via Steam direct while I pay him back online, or would Steam disallow gifting games to people in countries where those games haven't been released?

Is that even legal?

*edit*
And, yes, this thread has officially become the first result Google suggests when searching for "section 8 +prejudice europe". I keep coming back to it over Google Search instead of going through the forums...
Old 05-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
lyravega

Impulse offers it on my country, while Steam doesn't.
lyravega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #12
Tempest_Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyravega View Post
The games' publisher decides on regional restrictions and not Valve. Don't you think Valve would like to be able to sell the game on their platform worldwide rather than just a select few countries?
Tempest_Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:22 AM   #13
Malidictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyravega View Post
Nothing offers it in mine. I actually found the developers' own online store to be simultaneously hilarious and depressing. "Hey, you can buy the game over all of these services! Well, someone could. YOU can't buy this game over ANY of these services! Sucker!"

Quote:
An error was encountered while processing your request:
This item is currently unavailable in your region
No, really?

---

Anyway, I really do want to know - is it possible to offer the game as a gift to someone for whom it isn't available? I can do that, I have friends abroad, but I wouldn't want to end up getting them to buy a copy that I can't use anyway.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:26 AM   #14
Gehrschrein

You can safely have the game gifted to you from anywhere, and when creating a GFWL just put in UK or US or whichever, and you're golden.

The only downside is that you'll most likely be playing on higher latency servers, since there won't be much locally hosted in your country.

That, and you may have to change Steam's download location to US or something, since if it's not distributed in your region, it's probable that Steam doesn't have it locally served for download either.

Cheers.
Gehrschrein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:18 AM   #15
Malidictus

Ugh... Yeah, legal but very unpleasant. I still hold out hope that this thing will get allowed in Europe before TOO long. Or at the very least that we'll get a release date. I still don't get why the different release dates are even an issue. Why filter people out like this?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Section 8 series