Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 05-11-2011, 05:32 AM   #1
tomatzie

Install games on another hard drive

Well, i was interested if steam could make a button when you install a game, you could install the game on another hard drive, cuz i think it's kind off crazy to delete all your files to just install a game,
also got another question, if you delete everything but not "steammaps" and "steam.exe" will you then delete all your game files?
Answer me! PLEASE

Last edited by tomatzie: 05-11-2011 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:37 AM   #2
Euphytose

You can, I can't remember how but you can just tell Steam to run on another HDD.

" also got another question, if you delete everything but not "steammaps" and "steam.exe" will you then delete all your game files? "

No, you keep your games.

But copy-pasting the folder to save the games will cause errors, so it's not recommended at all.

Use the save option in the Steam menu instead.
Euphytose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:41 AM   #3
tomatzie

so could you still play the game when you delete everything but not "steammaps" and "steam.exe" on /C hard drive?
tomatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:43 AM   #4
DarkPhoenix966

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatzie View Post
so could you still play the game when you delete everything but not "steammaps" and "steam.exe" on /C hard drive?
Yes, if you keep steamapps and Steam.exe, you will be fine.
DarkPhoenix966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:45 AM   #5
Chronomaly

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatzie View Post
Well, i was interested if steam could make a button when you install a game, you could install the game on another hard drive, cuz i think it's kind off crazy to delete all your files to just install a game,
You can always install Steam itself on the other harddrive to have your games on that drive instead.

Quote:
also got another question, if you delete everything but not "steammaps" and "steam.exe" will you then delete all your game files?
Answer me! PLEASE
That will remove saves for certain games.
Chronomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:46 AM   #6
aklawitter

migrating Steam and your steam games to another hard drive:

exit Steam, create a folder named Steam on the 2nd HDD, copy/paste the steamapps folder AND steam.exe to the 2nd Steam folder, run the new steam.exe (Steam will take care of the rest)

alternatively, you could make a symbolic link, but you probably have no idea what that is.
aklawitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:46 AM   #7
Euphytose

Nope, that won't remove saves.

It's just that they won't be included since they are in appdata.
Euphytose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:48 AM   #8
Wacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphytose View Post
You can, I can't remember how but you can just tell Steam to run on another HDD.

" also got another question, if you delete everything but not "steammaps" and "steam.exe" will you then delete all your game files? "

No, you keep your games.

But copy-pasting the folder to save the games will cause errors, so it's not recommended at all.
?
Use the save option in the Steam menu instead.
I would be very interested in some clarity here too. Can anyone remember how you tell steam to run on another HDD? & where is the save option in the steam menu? Is this during installation of a game or are you saying there is a save option for selecting hard drives?

With regards to the button I think the steammaps folder is an integral part of steam & thats why all your games need to be in that folder. Now this is just a presumption here but I'd imagine if the game was outside of that folder, it wouldn't run within steam & you wouldn't have any of the features that steam provides. If you know what I mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklawitter View Post
migrating Steam and your steam games to another hard drive:

exit Steam, create a folder named Steam on the 2nd HDD, copy/paste the steamapps folder AND steam.exe to the 2nd Steam folder, run the new steam.exe (Steam will take care of the rest)

alternatively, you could make a symbolic link, but you probably have no idea what that is.
Wow ok easy enough but if it doesn't delete all your games, as said above, you are just copying all your old games onto the new hard drive, correct? All I want is to keep all of my old games where they are & from now on new games will install on the new hard drive. Is that possible?

& i've no idea what that means either in computer terms but I'd presume, Symbiosis, it has some mutualistic relationship with steam lol

Last edited by Wacker: 05-11-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Wacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:52 AM   #9
aklawitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphytose View Post
Nope, that won't remove saves.

It's just that they won't be included since they are in appdata.
%appdata% is a location controlled by the OS, not Steam
Old 05-11-2011, 05:53 AM   #10
tomatzie

Quote:
wtf is an symbolic link, i know a bit of computers, but not that much
tomatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:54 AM   #11
Nekomancer

NTFS junction point (Link)
Nekomancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:57 AM   #12
aklawitter

extremely dumbed down:
shortcuts (*.lnk, etc) = map to the treasure
symbolic links = portal to the treasure

there is a somewhat simplified tutorial here

you will have to manually make symbolic links for each game, there is no way to get Steam to specifically split off to a 2nd hard drive automatically

TEST USING BLANK DIRECTORIES FIRST AND MAKE BACKUPS

Last edited by aklawitter: 05-11-2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:59 AM   #13
JoeB

I run steam from a separate HDD too. All I did was just install it there. When you re-format, you should STILL be able to run steam without having to re-install. All that will happen is it'll initiate the self-updater, check for updates, and then let you in accordingly. Then when you try and launch your steam games, it'll simply launch the "first time load" steps again. The beauty of steam is that all games are portable and thereby don't require special registry entries to run (unlike their retail counterparts).

I always hated having to re-install my retail games even though all their data is still in tact on the separate hard drive. Steam bought games solve this problem.

Last edited by JoeB: 05-11-2011 at 06:01 AM.
JoeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:11 AM   #14
Wacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomancer View Post
Quote:
extremely dumbed down:
shortcuts (*.lnk, etc) = map to the treasure
symbolic links = portal to the treasure

there is a somewhat simplified tutorial here

you will have to manually make symbolic links for each game, there is no way to get Steam to specifically split off to a 2nd hard drive automatically

TEST USING BLANK DIRECTORIES FIRST AND MAKE BACKUPS
Wow great reading & links from you guys. This is going to take some time to work out before i attempt this. The OP is a friend of mine & because I'm almost in the same situation as himself I was very interested in the answer. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeB View Post
I run steam from a separate HDD too. All I did was just install it there. When you re-format, you should STILL be able to run steam without having to re-install. All that will happen is it'll initiate the self-updater, check for updates, and then let you in accordingly. Then when you try and launch your steam games, it'll simply launch the "first time load" steps again. The beauty of steam is that all games are portable and thereby don't require special registry entries to run (unlike their retail counterparts).

I always hated having to re-install my retail games even though all their data is still in tact on the separate hard drive. Steam bought games solve this problem.
When you say you just installed it there, do you mean you re-downloaded steam & during the installation process you selected your new drive?
Wacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:25 AM   #15
bmorris244

Ok I actually just did this literally 12 hours ago.
I had about 170 GB of games on my internal HD, and wanted to put them on a USB external 800GB FreeAgent Drive. I'm running 32-bit Vista.

First I went to C:/Program Files/Steam and deleted everything except steamapps and steam.exe. I think it would be smart to backup all your games before doing this, as I had a little freak out session about an hour ago.

Next you cut and paste the Steam folder (C:/Program Files/Steam) onto the external HD. This will take forever depending on how many games you have (took me ~4 hrs for ~170GB).

Next uninstall and re-install steam. I didn't do this at first, and steam didn't recognize the games in the new HD and tried to re-download them all. I also forgot my actual username (I login automatically) so there's that.

After that, there were a few updates of steam and games, and I'm back up and running. I found all my info at https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7418-YUBN-8129

Good luck!

*EDIT* When you re-install Steam, be sure to select the new HD as the place you want the Steam folder (like the D: drive or something).

Last edited by bmorris244: 05-11-2011 at 06:26 AM. Reason: forgot something important

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips