Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tiny Bang Story, The

Old 05-13-2011, 05:21 AM   #1
Bad Card

Stolen art in the game

http://artsammich.blogspot.com/2011/...sts-steal.html

After playing the demo I thought I'd buy the game if the price was lower, but after this I probably won't...

Old 05-13-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
Orange Ninja

Wow... Oops! I can understand if they at least gave the original artists credit... but to have to cheek to sell it!

Thanks @Bad Card - I'm not interested in buying this game anymore (unless the developers release some statement/apology to the original artists).

Here's a gif comparison.
Orange Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
dkwo

this is un-ing-believable!
dkwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
eagleFMJ

Wow, that's messed up. Two artist so far have been copied, how many more will surface now?

Why do I have a feeling more of the game was copied from more artists around the net?

I had this in my wishlist, think I will get the free version now!
eagleFMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:32 AM   #5
kramit

What other artists?

Personally this seems like a bit of a stretch. I could see that the style of art in the game could have been inspired in part by that artist, but that's not THEFT. Give me a break. Look at all the other original art in the game.

Gonna need a whole lot more than that to prevent me from supporting what is a very pretty, relaxing, enjoyable game.
kramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:55 AM   #6
kramit

Hmm... After looking closer, the bottles on the wall are a pretty good give-away. Even so, one picture in an otherwise great game isn't enough. They should patch it out, or give attribution or something, but it's not enough to completely invalidate all the rest of their work.
kramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:29 AM   #7
Orange Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramit View Post
Hmm... After looking closer, the bottles on the wall are a pretty good give-away. Even so, one picture in an otherwise great game isn't enough. They should patch it out, or give attribution or something, but it's not enough to completely invalidate all the rest of their work.
Yes, it is... and until they patch it out and produce some sort of apology, I won't be buying the game.

I hate people who think they can get away with copying. To then make money from doing it is despicable.
Orange Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
jessej07

I bought this and completed it weeks ago. The game is terrific and the art is equally fantastic.

This news, however, is very disappointing. The kid, and the style he is painted in throughout his years, shows up throughout the game and I think his design isn't so unique that it is possible that it's a coincidence. But the woman, and especially the identical bottles in the background is very much a rip off.

I hope the artist comes clean about any "reference" he used in any capacity and apologizes/gives credit where it is due.

This definitely sullies my impression of the game, I'm happy I played it but I'm less impressed with the art (a large part of my appreciation) knowing that a lot of it could be ripped off.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
lonefalcon

when l first read this sounded a little like a viral advertising with the price drop

bet there be some ppl buying it to do a spot the art work
lonefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #10
Red Sparowe

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonefalcon View Post
when l first read this sounded a little like a viral advertising with the price drop

bet there be some ppl buying it to do a spot the art work
Bingo.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:48 AM   #11
admix

Well, a little continuation to the story:
http://artsammich.blogspot.com/2011/...-of-heist.html
Old 05-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #12
lordofterror

wow this is shocking the least they could do is, credit the original painter
lordofterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #13
Foey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Ninja View Post
Wow... Oops! I can understand if they at least gave the original artists credit... but to have to cheek to sell it!

Thanks @Bad Card - I'm not interested in buying this game anymore (unless the developers release some statement/apology to the original artists).

Here's a gif comparison.
Those don't look very similar to me.
Foey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #14
inspiral66

They are not rip-offs. All those pix follow the basic rules of caricaturization. For God's sake, those portraits amount to less than one percent of the original art in the game. Why is everybody getting all sanctimonious about this? And for the record, I'm a writer and take plagiarism very seriously. This IMHO is not plagiarism.

And it's a great little game. If you enjoy hidden object and puzzle games, consider buying it.
inspiral66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:57 PM   #15
Zomnivore

Banned
Guys it is a rip of, the dude painted over it, if you find the zoomed in photo, the bottles are a complete match, just with some fading added to the ripped version.

The character is changed, and imo it draws heavily without out actually being a "rip off" but the bottles are totally the exact same.

I wouldn't have a problem with it if it was a complete repaint-over type homage to the artists...with credit in the credits.
Zomnivore is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tiny Bang Story, The