Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2 > Custom Campaigns / Maps

Old 05-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Raven663

Custom Model Compiling Issue

I have been trying for weeks to get a custom test model I have created in SketchUp to import to Hammer. So far I think I have looked into every tutorial in existance and I still cant get it quite right. Everey tutorial is either too vague or doesnt explain certain key areas.

As of now I have all the key componants that I know I need, textures, .qc file, model files, etc. Right now my problem is that when using GUIstudioMDL I get an error and it wont compile into an .mdl format. This is the error I get when I try compiling:
Created command line: "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2\bin\studiomdl.exe" -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2" -notxbox C:\Users\Will\Desktop\Jack.qc.txt

WARNING: AppFramework : Unable to load module p4lib.dll!
qdir: "c:\users\will\desktop\"
gamedir: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2\"
g_path: "C:\Users\Will\Desktop\Jack.qc.txt"
Building binary model files...
Working on "Jack.qc"
Error opening c:\users\will\desktop\Jack.qc

This is my current .qc file:
$modelname "Jack.mdl"
$body mybody "Jack.smd"
$staticprop
$surfaceprop "wood"
$cdmaterials "Jack"
$sequence idle "Jack.smd"
$collisionmodel "Jack_COL.smd" { $mass 400 $concave }

I have tried changing my .qc file many times based on different tutorials but every time I get the exact same issue. I am not sure what it is that I am doing wrong. Can anyone help or point me towards an actual decent tutorial?

~Raven
Old 05-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
pappaskurtz

I'd recommend using the command line compiler as opposed to the GUI front end. The command line should give you a line number in the QC where it errors. Where does the processing halt?
pappaskurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
inigmontoya

Does Jack.qc exist? Command line references Jack.qc.txt. Try renaming it to Jack.qc.
inigmontoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
Raven663

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaskurtz View Post
I'd recommend using the command line compiler as opposed to the GUI front end. The command line should give you a line number in the QC where it errors. Where does the processing halt?
I tried using that program as well but the window only stays open for a fraction of a second. It closes much too fast for me to be able to see anything that it says. I'm thinking there must be a problem with my .qc file but I just cant spot it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inigmontoya View Post
Does Jack.qc exist? Command line references Jack.qc.txt. Try renaming it to Jack.qc.
An astute observation, I just tried renaming it to be just a .qc file but nothing seems to have changed. I also tried doing a "save as" and naming a .qc file but it remained the same. There must be something basic that I am overlooking.
Raven663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Raven663

OMG it works!

My problem was that my .qc file was in fact only named .qc and was not the actual type of file needed. I have now compiled it and it works perfectly in game! I just have to do some work with the textures but that part isnt too difficult. Thank you so much for all your help!
Raven663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
shotgunefx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven663 View Post
OMG it works!

My problem was that my .qc file was in fact only named .qc and was not the actual type of file needed. I have now compiled it and it works perfectly in game! I just have to do some work with the textures but that part isnt too difficult. Thank you so much for all your help!
FYI, if you want to run something from the command line and are having problems with it (and it automatically closing before you can see the error, manually open a command prompt and cd to the directory, then run the command and you'll be able to see the output.

Or if you're more adventurous (and lazy), you can this to your windows registry (in XP anyway, haven't tested it in win7 yet)
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\1cmd]
@="DOS Prompt"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\1cmd\command]
@="cmd.exe /k \"cd %L\""
What this does is add an item called "DOS Prompt" whenever you right click on a folder. If you select it, it will open up a command prompt in that directory. Very handy if you need to run a lot of command line stuff.

I'd make a backup of your reg first if you do add it, and take no responsibility
shotgunefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
inigmontoya

Protip: In Windows Explorer, hold shift, right click on folder, click "open command window here". Does the same thing shotgun's registry tweak does, except you have to hold shift and right click for it to appear.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
shotgunefx

Quote:
Protip: In Windows Explorer, hold shift, right click on folder, click "open command window here". Does the same thing shotgun's registry tweak does, except you have to hold shift and right click for it to appear.
Is that for Win7 or XP, because it doesn't work for me in XP. (Sorry for the thread jack)
Old 05-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
inigmontoya

Think it might be for just Vista and 7 then.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #10
shotgunefx

Quote:
Think it might be for just Vista and 7 then.
Good to know, these are the kinds of tweaks I haven't done to my new win7 machine.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2 > Custom Campaigns / Maps