Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, The

Old 05-17-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
Angry_Beaver

Artifacting: The game or my card?

I'm having some issues.

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30 GHz
8 GB dual channel G.Skill DDR3 1333 downclocked to 1066 for system stability reasons
Radeon HD 4890 1GB, 925 MHz GPU clock, 1050 MHz memory clock; using Catalyst 11.5

Turned the AA and AF off. I can run the game rather smoothly between mid and high settings at a resolution of 1280x1024. However, I get flickering artifacts. I've also been getting them on Crysis 1 as of late. They're usually randomly-appearing, but frequent, small groups of white pixels. Sometimes there will be a more wedge-like -- larger and usually stretched out -- artifact that flashes on the screen. Also, on The Witcher 2, when I leave the tent at the beginning, the buildings/encampments on the hill in the distance have a large red "barrier" that flickers on and off in front of them.

Two things I should note:

1. I think I neglected to put new thermal grease on my processor, though I may be thinking of my older ones, instead.

2. I've already had to RMA my video card once. And it's going on two years old. I'm not harboring any delusions about the possible state of the card.

EDIT: I tried running FurMark and... frankly, I'm not sure that I didn't see the white artifacts, but I'm not sure that I saw any artifacts, period (with all the colors shifting around in FurMark, though, it's hard to tell).

Last edited by Angry_Beaver: 05-17-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
Zombiemonk

Take it from someone who just replaced his 4870x2 last month, it's a dying card.

I had the *same exact thing* and it cleared up after buying a new 6950. Temps were pretty bad to (idled at around 50c) but after I put two new 120mm fans and got the new card my temps were much better (idle at 38c) and the problems is gone.

It's a dying card, I'm sorry to say.
Zombiemonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Angry_Beaver

Mine is currently idling at 61C with a fan speed of 26% and has gone a little above 80C during Crysis 1 (windowed, even, so I could see Catalyst Control Center).
Angry_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
Mad Dog

Thats a dying card. Could be the VRAM chips, that are damaged but its best to buy a new card at this state.
Mad Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Angry_Beaver

Edited first post.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
anticitizen101

If I push my overclock too hard, the Jane Nash test from 3DMark Vantage shows noticeable artifacting for me. Give it a try.
anticitizen101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
Zombiemonk

Mad Dog is right. They told me my card had failing VRAM as well.

It's something we gamers have to hear, but that's it. My card even gave me BSODs too. IF it's idling at 60c, something is big time wrong. That should be a load temp, not an idle temp.

Get a Sapphire 6950, like I did. It's only 270 on newegg. Great card if you want a good single GPU.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
Angry_Beaver

I guess I should provide some details regarding heat.

This is my case. I am currently using two of these and two of these in the case. Completely air-cooled.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
anticitizen101

Maybe you just got dust bunnies on your vidcard from all that aircooling. I suffer similar issues.
anticitizen101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #10
Zombiemonk

Wow, nice case. I use this ghetto case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-042-_-Product

And 3 120mm case fans (sides and top) and I no longer have any trouble with temps.

Those 4 series all run hot I think. I had a helluva time cooling off my old 4870x2.

Heat or no, that card is dying. I got my new one in only 2 days with overnight shipping, I suggest you do the same. Felt so much better when I just got the new one: http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/a...mic/41temp.png

the 4870x2, in the same case with the same fans, idled in the mid 50s.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #11
Mad Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Beaver View Post
I guess I should provide some details regarding heat.

This is my case. I am currently using two of these and two of these in the case. Completely air-cooled.
Nice case. Used to have one of these as a solution untill my HAF X arrived.
Download Heaven 2.1 and let your card do a full run. Artifacts are extremely easy to spot at Heaven.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #12
Angry_Beaver

Oy, I might have to hold out on getting a new card. I'm currently unemployed, and the graphics capabilities of my processor will do for all necessary (i.e. non-gaming) purposes.

But even if it's not software-related, I can still RMA my card again. The warranty is good until sometime later this summer. With my money situation, I'd much rather try that first. I spent $250 on the 4890. A similar expenditure right now wouldn't be wise.

I'll try running that Heaven test. But I find it's easiest to spot most of the artifacts when I've got something relatively stationary. I saw them appearing on Abigail in Chapter 1 of The Witcher 1, and it was really easy to see them on Triss' skin in the tent in The Witcher 2.

Last edited by Angry_Beaver: 05-17-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:43 AM   #13
Mad Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Beaver View Post
Oy, I might have to hold out on getting a new card. I'm currently unemployed, and the graphics capabilities of my processor will do for all necessary (i.e. non-gaming) purposes.

But even if it's not software-related, I can still RMA my card again. The warranty is good until sometime later this summer. With my money situation, I'd much rather try that first. I spent $250 on the 4890. A similar expenditure right now wouldn't be wise.
I still suggest testing with Heaven first. If you can supply the company with the exact kind of issue, they are more likely to replace it(soldering in new VRAM chips is a b*tch).
Maybe its not even broken and its the games. Just do a Heaven run and I will gladly assist you further.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #14
Zombiemonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
I still suggest testing with Heaven first. If you can supply the company with the exact kind of issue, they are more likely to replace it(soldering in new VRAM chips is a b*tch).
Maybe its not even broken and its the games. Just do a Heaven run and I will gladly assist you further.
It's not good to say it's just the games, because when I had the topic creator's problem with my 4870x2 it only showed up in certain games. Namely Dragon Age Origins. Crysis 2 (But not Crysis 1, go figure, Drakensang and a certain program I can't mention here or I'll get modded. Everything else it ran fine.

Some games use your VRAM in odd ways and problems are easier to detect, or so I was told.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #15
netbozo

You might try cleaning out your case as someone mentioned. Canned air works great to blast out all the dust. Also pull your video card out and blast the fins clean with canned air too. Might just be a bunch of dust impeding cooling and causing it to run hot. It would be the cheapest thing to try first to see if it helps. If not, then move on to maybe rma'ing it again.

my .02

....netbozo
netbozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, The