Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Terraria

Old 05-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
Shadow12000

"Terraria has stopped working"

Alright, so I buy Terraria after I see my brother playing it on his computer. Install it, try to play it, it installs the XNA Framework (again, like many other Steam games first time you load it)...and I get the "Terraria has stopped working" error box, and it does this every time I try to open it.

Before anyone asks anything, yes I've tried uninstalling the XNA Framework and reinstalling it. Nothing changed. Here's my error log in the event viewer (Note: I use a Windows Vista 32bit, planning to update within the year hopefully but will have to see):

Application: Terraria.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentLoadExcepti on
Stack:
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.Prep areStream(System.IO.Stream, System.String, Int32 ByRef)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentReader.Crea te(Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager, System.IO.Stream, System.String, System.Action`1<System.IDisposable>)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.Rea dAsset[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](System.String, System.Action`1<System.IDisposable>)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.Loa d[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](System.String)
at Terraria.Main.LoadContent()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Initialize()
at Terraria.Main.Initialize()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean)
at Terraria.Program.Main(System.String[])

Now one thing I do remember is that I got this error a couple times a week after Magicka came out (a week after because I was getting a different error that had to do with the audio first), but I didn't do anything and it was fixed in a patch. Is that what's going to have to happen here too? I'm willing to wait if that's the case, just would like a confirmation.

Oh, also, I don't know how to uninstall the .NET Framework 4, it says to do it in the Programs and Features in the Control Panel, but it's not there.

Last edited by Shadow12000: 05-20-2011 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Clarified which Framework
Old 05-17-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
mech4no

I don't know if this really fixes the issue, but it seems that it has worked for a lot of people so you can try this.

Download and install the XNA Framework 4.0

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...8-d35c013c3b97

again I can't confirm this since I don't have the game.

Goodluck.
mech4no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
EvanBGood

Hate to be redundant, but did you check the integrity of the game cache in steam? That seems to be a problem 9 times out of 10 with things like that.
EvanBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:45 AM   #4
MIK3K

I got that today installing Dwarfs!? on a different computer (Dwarfs!? was giving me the error). That forum pointed me to XNA 3.1, which I installed. Then I installed Terraria (and XNA 4.0 was part of that install) and both work.

I don't know if this helps. Probably confuses more than anything. But, installing the correct XNA did help with Dwarf!? with a similar problem.

There is a copy of the XNA 4.0 installer in the .../steam/steamapps/common/terraria/ folder.
MIK3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:42 AM   #5
Shadow12000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech4no View Post
I don't know if this really fixes the issue, but it seems that it has worked for a lot of people so you can try this.

Download and install the XNA Framework 4.0

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...8-d35c013c3b97

again I can't confirm this since I don't have the game.

Goodluck.
I did say "I tried uninstalling the Framework and reinstalling it" and yes it is 4.0. So that's scratched off the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIK3K View Post
I got that today installing Dwarfs!? on a different computer (Dwarfs!? was giving me the error). That forum pointed me to XNA 3.1, which I installed. Then I installed Terraria (and XNA 4.0 was part of that install) and both work.

I don't know if this helps. Probably confuses more than anything. But, installing the correct XNA did help with Dwarf!? with a similar problem.

There is a copy of the XNA 4.0 installer in the .../steam/steamapps/common/terraria/ folder.
I could try that when I get a chance, I do remember having a version 3.? (? meaning I don't remember which point I had) installed as well, and was getting the error still, then read that having the older one can mess things up so I uninstalled it with no change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanBGood View Post
Hate to be redundant, but did you check the integrity of the game cache in steam? That seems to be a problem 9 times out of 10 with things like that.
Actually no I haven't, I'll try that now and get back to you.

Update: Verifying integrity didn't work.
Shadow12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:20 AM   #6
Shadow12000

Bump.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
konicki

"stopped working"

Same problem... would the people who made this please step up and solve this. This is happening to people who have paid money for this game and gotten nothing but a headache...
konicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:09 AM   #8
mech4no

[QUOTE=Shadow12000;22475965]I did say "I tried uninstalling the Framework and reinstalling it" and yes it is 4.0. So that's scratched off the list.
QUOTE]

In the main post you were talking about the .NET Framework. I am talking about the XNA Framework.

Anyway goodluck.
mech4no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:24 AM   #9
oso_malo

Just bought the game, when I click 'play' nothing happens.. verifies game cache OK.

wtf.
oso_malo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:20 AM   #10
Shadow12000

[QUOTE=mech4no;22511288]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow12000 View Post
I did say "I tried uninstalling the Framework and reinstalling it" and yes it is 4.0. So that's scratched off the list.
QUOTE]

In the main post you were talking about the .NET Framework. I am talking about the XNA Framework.

Anyway goodluck.
Sorry, the first one I talked about was the XNA Framework, since I could actually uninstall and reinstall that. At the end I mentioned the .NET Framework because I was unable to uninstall it, sorry for the confusion.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #11
Bytemunch

Have you got speakers plugged in? My bro's copy don't load unless he has speakers in.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #12
Shadow12000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytemunch View Post
Have you got speakers plugged in? My bro's copy don't load unless he has speakers in.
Yes. I have a headset plugged in too, but I also have speakers.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:37 PM   #13
Tubular

Same problem
Tubular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #14
Tubular

After I installed the game, I then installed mumble and started to get this error.

I then closed mumble and the game would work.
Mumble is making this game not work. I wonder what the conflict is....
Tubular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:46 PM   #15
purplellama

getting this when anyone tries to connect to my game now.
ran fine for 2 days ( for the most part )

now seeming to see a fair amount of bugs and forced reconnects etc..
purplellama is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Terraria