Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fable series

Old 05-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
Ninjaplz

Fable III Won't Launch

Hey guys... I just bought fable 3... installed it... and when I try to launch, the "Fable III Main Executable" just closes without giving me a reason.

I can run it in compatability mode with windows vista and windows vista SP 1 and 2... but all it gives me is a black screen with the fable cursor on it...

anyone else have these issues?
Old 05-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
Clockwork2007

I have the same issue. Except I get the "Fable 3 executable has stopped working" it gives xlive.dll as the reason it crashes. Someone suggested in a different post (that I can't find anymore it must've been deleted) that it could be because of someone messing with the windows live login client. I didn't. I have the GFWL client on my computer and I can log in with it fine. I installed the "windows live essentials" again off the microsoft website just in case, but still no dice. I am in the process of reinstalling the whole game again (currently at 48%). This is really bugging me because I wanted to play with my friend . Steam doesn't seem to be helping us at all.

(my computer is good enough btw. I won't list all the specs cause I don't feel like it but I run a AMD quad with a Nvidia Fermi GPU)
Old 05-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
Ninjaplz

Yeah same... My computer is good enough...

and I'm downloading through steam... so I can't get any .dlls off of a disk if I need them=/
Ninjaplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
reyloads

Same here

I have also been having the same problems and my computer is more that good enough. Could it be a problem with 64 bit systems? My computer is 64 bit. It would be great to start playing my game soon. I hope that something happen.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
Ninjaplz

Yeah I'm running 64 bit too... the weird thing is is it doesn't give me an error message when it stops running... nothing pops open or anything... when I run the launcher, it shows up in my task manager for a few seconds, then disappears...
Ninjaplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
reyloads

Yeah same exact thing here. I even tried going into the actual files and clicking on the launch file. And I also uninstalled steam and re downloaded everything. Still the same thing.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
Beaird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaplz View Post
Yeah I'm running 64 bit too... the weird thing is is it doesn't give me an error message when it stops running... nothing pops open or anything... when I run the launcher, it shows up in my task manager for a few seconds, then disappears...
Same, win7 64 bit, i7 920 with 6 gigs of ram and dual HD5770's.

I'm wondering of anyone can get Games for Windows Marketplace working as well. Seems like it won't connect the same way Fable doesn't. I saw it install with Fable and remember reading that Fable needs it to run in order to work, just a thought.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #8
oriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaird View Post
I'm wondering of anyone can get Games for Windows Marketplace working as well. Seems like it won't connect the same way Fable doesn't. I saw it install with Fable and remember reading that Fable needs it to run in order to work, just a thought.

I uninstalled Games for Windows and Windows Live Essentials, and reinstalled the latest Games for Windows from scratch. That seemed to fix it.

I also (re)installed Windows Live sign-in assistant 6.5 as mentioned in the other thread, but I'm not sure how much that had to do with fixing the executable.

I have serious issues with how the authentication and launcher design was approached. Some basic unit tests in the launcher not only would have made this a non-issue, but would have given them (lionhead/microsoft) a way to let us know what was wrong and how to fix it. Ahh nerdrage.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #9
reyloads

Still the same.

I also reinstalled all of that stuff but I still have the same problem.

There might be a correlation between Fable 3 not launching and Games for Windows Marketplace, because that also wont launch. hmmm.... Perhaps a problem in those things. Does this happen to anyone else?

I also dont like how there are all of these "middle-men" between me and my game.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #10
jamazz

Red face

Yeah mine wont launch either. I think my issue is resolution related, though. When I launch the game, the screens go black, I can briefly hear the developer intros start, then the screens minimize. The game is still running, and if I click on the task it comes back up into black screens, and I hear the Windows Live sounds of logging in, but then the screen minimizes again. Any attempt to bring the game to the fore-front, from the taskbar, will result in an immediate minimize. All I can do is force-close the game.

I tried to manually change the resolution, by using Steam's properties on the game in the library, and by manually editing the shortcut file to mention windowed and the width and height numbers. This will not even load the game; I was getting farther within the previous paragraph by not doing anything at all.

Someone from steam/microsoft needs to start taking these complaints and finding fixes.
jamazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
roegner1030

http://lionhead.com/forums/p/303666/...3.aspx#3677003

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1893474

From my other thread:
Quote:
This issue is with Games for Windows Live (gfwlclient.exe).

I cannot get the client to run by itself either as I get the same error as when attempting to launch Fable III, though instead of for Fable III, it's for gfwlclient.exe.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Fable3.exe
Application Version: 1.1.0.3
Application Timestamp: 4d94a571
Fault Module Name: xlive.dll
Fault Module Version: 3.5.88.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4da10de9
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0016358c
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

and

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: gfwlclient.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 4d93c2a6
Problem Signature 04: XLiveServices
Problem Signature 05: 1.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4d93c2a5
Problem Signature 07: 5bb
Problem Signature 08: 4d3
Problem Signature 09: System.BadImageFormatException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
After researching this issue all night, I've found tons of other people who were experiencing this issue not just with Fable III, but with other 'Games for Windows Live' products. The issue has been around since 2009 and still has yet to be fixed.

Also, for those of us getting this issue, do not expect to play any game that is GFWL (Games for Windows Live) related, as you will experience the same thing.

Attempted solutions:

Uninstalling and reinstalling Fable III
Uninstalling and reinstalling Games for Windows Live
Uninstalling and reinstalling .Net Framework
And a bunch more..
roegner1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:39 PM   #12
reyloads

Sigh*

I really dont understand why we have to go through all of these doors to just play the game. Why do we have to download Steam, the have it go through windows, im really starting to think that I should have just waited until I could buy it at Best Buy or something and cut atleast one of these people out. Well.. I hope that something happens soon, because I think I have tried all that I can.

Update:
Good news though.. I finally got Games for Windows Live to work. Not that it fixes fable though. So. Im not sure how the information above directly relates to steam and/or fable 3.

Last edited by reyloads: 05-17-2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Update
Old 05-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #13
SunriseDriver

Banned
Install GfW Live manually. It may work.
SunriseDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:38 PM   #14
roegner1030

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyloads View Post
I really dont understand why we have to go through all of these doors to just play the game. Why do we have to download Steam, the have it go through windows, im really starting to think that I should have just waited until I could buy it at Best Buy or something and cut atleast one of these people out. Well.. I hope that something happens soon, because I think I have tried all that I can.

Update:
Good news though.. I finally got Games for Windows Live to work. Not that it fixes fable though. So. Im not sure how the information above directly relates to steam and/or fable 3.
How did you get GFWL to work?
roegner1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:09 AM   #15
reyloads

I FIXED IT! YAY!!!!!

I first started by repairing Microsoft Live Essentials in the add/remove programs. Then I reinstalled Games for Windows Live. Try it out!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fable series