Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Terraria

Old 05-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
benlolo66

Terraria For Mac?

I'v been really mad since i saw on steam that Terraria was not relesed on mac.However on Terraria's website Terraria.org they say it's mainly for windows but they may bring it to mac and xbox.I really want to know if people know if it's coming out on mac and what date,but what date i don't think people know.I dont care if the game comes out in 3 months I just want a yes or no if it's coming out on mac.They should because it's doing amazing on pc and i think that they should put it on mac because of this.Plz reply if you know.That would be really amazing because i really want to know this.Thanks for reading and once again plz reply so i cant know if it's coming out on mac!

Old 05-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
EyeOfTheHawks

If the site doesnt say, what makes you think we will?
EyeOfTheHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
Masshuum

Let's say no until they say yes?

It's almost certainly going to come if it continues to do well on PC. If it dies off in a couple months, then no it won't come to mac.

Some things just take time and you just appreciate that otherwise life is going to be very challenging for you...
Old 05-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
spartan0078

Not to be a troll but buy a pc if you want to play pc games
spartan0078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
EyeOfTheHawks

It really doesnt help that this uses .Net framework. If it were in Java, Mac would be available already.
EyeOfTheHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
TopHatMan

Run an emulator?
TopHatMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
Feynt

Bootcamp ftw
Feynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:22 PM   #8
Omocho

Mac doesn't have games.
Omocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
SerFox

Can I request this post be moved to the Mac forums.

Also could the trolls please go elsewhere? Do consider this - Valve have adopted Mac as a platform for games, so you trolling Mac users, you are trolling Valve's opinion. Might want to reorder your priorities and morals.

I have tried running Terraria through Crossover with no luck. it's been very strangely coded, requiring .NET and a few other libraries. Despite including these, I can't get very far running it.

I'm currently very disappointed in the developers of Terraria. While yes, the majority of players will be on Windows, they are considering XBox360 and iOS as potential ports, not Mac or Linux, or Android, or Windows Phone, or Wii, or PS3, or (3)DS, or PSP/NGP.

The gaming industry isn't as black and white as it used to be, and with the release of cross-platform play on Portal 2 (Despite someone ruining Sony's day a few weeks back) there is a definite call for multi-platform multiplayer. Developing a game with multiple platforms in mind expands your market, and will expand your following. If this game came out for all desktop OS's or at least the main ones, and maybe considered the handheld market, i.e. DSWare, which this game is perfectly suited for, there is big bucks in that. You will have people buying the game multiple times to have it for all platforms, Terraria at home and on the go.

Their ignorance and borderline rude attitude towards requests of multiple platform compatibility has pretty much put me off this game. While I understand it may be an arduous task, simply brushing it off because you don't want to be bothered is a quick way of diminishing your fan base.
SerFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
RamblinBob

It is written in friggin XNA.

So we will NEVER see a mac port, and never anything other than the Xbox360.

Big mistake writing it in XNA as that permanently locks you into Microsoft only products.

There is a myriad of better solutions but for some silly reason they picked XNA.
RamblinBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #11
SerFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinBob View Post
It is written in friggin XNA.

So we will NEVER see a mac port, and never anything other than the Xbox360.

Big mistake writing it in XNA as that permanently locks you into Microsoft only products.

There is a myriad of better solutions but for some silly reason they picked XNA.
Actually that is not strictly true. There is a project called Mono XNA which would allow these XNA applications to run in the cross platform Mono environment. However I would assume that a lot of the structure would need to be rewritten to support it. There is also a sub-project which allows it to run the code on Android and iOS.

Don't hold your breath, though. The developers don't care about anyone not on Windows. A shame, they could have made a lot of money.
SerFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
deezus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerFox View Post
Don't hold your breath, though. The developers don't care about anyone not on Windows. A shame, they could have made a lot of money.
They are making a lot of money. Windows is the largest gaming market by far. I doubt they will miss any Mac sales.
deezus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #13
Alavard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerFox View Post
This is not some giant studio. This is... what? A team of a few guys? Did they build this from the ground up with a commercial enterprise in mind? I'd be surprised if so.

They probably started with something they were familiar with, and are happy enough that the damn game is in a released state, and that it's been so highly successful in such a short amount of time. They're focused on the updates and additions for the game now.

I'd be very surprised to hear that Blue just has a passionate hatred for all OS's not Windows.

In short - hindsight is 20/20, and if he'd written it with easy cross-compatability in mind, it would make for simpler to port it over, sure, but he couldn't have predicted the huge demand there would be for this on different platforms right away.

Last edited by Alavard: 05-18-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Alavard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
Skcus_Rafez

Banned
When you get an OS that performs well and gain some understanding about how computers work and the value of the components in a computer, they might add Mac support (see: never).
Skcus_Rafez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #15
benlolo66

im very disappointed in the makers of Terraria

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Terraria